Vokhev

Clips And Clip Lights Variants

37 posts in this topic

I can give a time line for 3001a and 3001 

I know the first set I encountered the mold 3001 in was 6849-1 and that the old mold 3001a was in 6985-1  So my take is that 1987 and beyond should be 3001. and 1986 and earlier is 3001a, atleast in the early year of the production chain.

I barely had any of these before I entered my darkage(~1993), ie I stopped buying LEGO and only bought videogames instead.

when it comes to 3002a and 3002. I never had a single 3002 brick until after I resumed buying bricks. However most set i bought didn't have that brick so I can only confirm 3002a up to 1986,  in that case aswell. Last part for me was in 5580-1 so they might have arrived at the same time.

I've noticed that type B clips are on instructions from 1988 which means they clearly had them at the beginning of production. That would seem to indicate type A was replaced by then. That would make 1987 the only transition year.

I think there is enough for at least a partial correction of the clips.

-1986 and before can be changed to A.

-1987 should contain only A and B so all C should be changed to one of these (there are no D). As to which one we should use, I would go for A since we confirmed at least some sets had it.

-1988 to 1991 should be changed to B.

-1992 and 1993 should contain only B and C so all A should be changed to one of these (there are no D). I have no idea which one we should prioritise. The most sensible thing is probably to use B for 1992 and C for 1993. But, again, just for those with A. That also seems to be coherent with what's currently entered in the database.

-1994 and after should have all type B changed to C (there are no A).

-The data currently in the DB suggests the switch between C and D was between 2013 and 2014 but I've seen pictures of sets as old as 2010 that seems to have type D. So I think we're going to have to wait for that one.

I've noticed that type B clips are on instructions from 1988 which means they clearly had them at the beginning of production. That would seem to indicate type A was replaced by then. That would make 1987 the only transition year.

I think there is enough for at least a partial correction of the clips.

-1986 and before can be changed to A.

-1987 should contain only A and B so all C should be changed to one of these (there are no D). As to which one we should use, I would go for A since we confirmed at least some sets had it.

-1988 to 1991 should be changed to B.

-1992 and 1993 should contain only B and C so all A should be changed to one of these (there are no D). I have no idea which one we should prioritise. The most sensible thing is probably to use B for 1992 and C for 1993. But, again, just for those with A. That also seems to be coherent with what's currently entered in the database.

-1994 and after should have all type B changed to C (there are no A).

-The data currently in the DB suggests the switch between C and D was between 2013 and 2014 but I've seen pictures of sets as old as 2010 that seems to have type D. So I think we're going to have to wait for that one.

This is wrong, instruction is not a reliable source for molds, neither is set images.(the set/instruction images usually contain earlier mold then the set itself),  B was around much earlier i would say somewhere around 1984-1985. C came quite early aswell.

I know instructions often show earlier version. That's why I only use them to confirm a new model has been created, never to know if an older one is still used.

The problem is that many sets likely were produced with more than one version. In that case, it's obviously not gonna represent all sets. My goal is to show something that at least existed.

It might be that the transitions were not done at the same time all over the world. I'm in Canada and you're apparently in Sweden. Maybe we didn't get the new types at the same time.

I know A was still used in at least some sets up until 1986 and 1987. So if you tell me you had B before that, I guess the transition period could be extended from 1987 to 1985-1987.

I don't really have data for 1992-1993 so I had put the split in the middle and suggested we only change those that were not already B or C. You say C came earlier so I can propose two alternatives.

1) We turn all A from 1992-1993 to C. We leave those that were set to B as is.

2) we turn everything from 11992-1993 to C.

What do you think?

Do you have other suggestions on how we could make it better?

I will take a look in my collection and see if there is any color that hasn't been polluted by second hand purchases. I can forget to look at the black and red ones and light grey.

Here is my result from my collection: (examine blue, yellow and white)

A up 1984 can be confirmed. (1984 being a mixed year, I know that by looking on my blue and classic space sets I can't built either with only a or only b. I need to use a mix for all my duplicates) I Suggest marking 1984 as A.
B 1985-1989 I Remember seeing the first C in our second 6693-1 while the first probably had B, so it was a later product year release of the same set.
C 1990+ I have Blacktron set has these in yellow. I can also confirm blue from 1992, I don't have any white C and the last one I know I bought new was from 1988. 1989 is probably a B,C mixed year have to little to go on here. So marking 1989 as B would be okay.
D No Idea after 1993 for sure.

That is as accurate I can be from my collection, it's however a bit polluted with parts I didn't buy personally in a store brand new.

A and B is almost identical for a untrained eye so the set from 1986 probably had B not A and the inventory is incorrect.

Biodreamer, I've put this togather with what you've said. Do you agree?

-1984 and before can be changed to A.

-1985 to 1989 should be changed to B.

-1990+ and after should have all type A and B changed to C

A and B is almost identical for a untrained eye so the set from 1986 probably had B not A and the inventory is incorrect.

Strange, to me, the biggest change was from A to B. But then, I personally prefer A to all other types. I've never understood the change. B, C and D are all bulky and clumsy, ugly and limiting to me (though D is an upgrade over C). It must have been to make the parts more resistant but the only broken clip I ever had was a type C so that doesn't feel like a huge success...

Biodreamer, I've put this togather with what you've said. Do you agree?

-1984 and before can be changed to A.

-1985 to 1989 should be changed to B.

-1990+ and after should have all type A and B changed to C

Strange, to me, the biggest change was from A to B. But then, I personally prefer A to all other types. I've never understood the change. B, C and D are all bulky and clumsy, ugly and limiting to me (though D is an upgrade over C). It must have been to make the parts more resistant but the only broken clip I ever had was a type C so that doesn't feel like a huge success...

Yes, I don't think A and B is so different it's just the outer edge of the grip.so if you just building you can easily just miss it, but C is fat and ugly there is no way you don't notice the difference.

and yes the stiffness in C make them break easier then both A and B. but be B is less likely to break then A, when you snap in a accesssory from the side. Personally I stopped doing that if I can avoid it. I agree that A looks best.

Ok, so the mass update can be done.

For A vs B, maybe it's because I'm mostly a classic space guy and walkie talkies are one thing I often use these for and you can't rotate it on the clip with B unless you find one of the newer ones with the wider gap and I find that annoying. I also find the square ends sticking out ugly when you use it to hole an antenna or other round part. I know these are small details bot these differences have always seemed important to me for some reason.

Yes, 4085, 4085a, 4085b, 4085c and also 60897.

In more details:

1984 and before:

Change all to 4085a.

1985 to 1989:

Change all to 4085b.

1990 and after:

Change 4085, 4085a and 4085b to 4085c.