biodreamer

Discussion About The Catalogs Categories

First of all I was really happy to see more categories popping up in my collection when I logged in today. So thanks Nathan, theskirrid and whoever else that was involved.

Especially when you have started to break down the brick category which was to big. well "other" was bigger but that is mostly "work in progress".

Buildt in tooltip in the categories 

Preferably accessed as a tooltip by pressing a ? icon on the category bar.

for example 

* "bricks" is any parts that work in complete lego units larger or equal to height 1. This exclude weirdshape, curves etc, just plain blocky parts.

* "bricks curved", is a brick that has one or more curved shapes, This include arch or curved slopes.

* "bricks printed" is a brick with a printed pattern on one or more surface, This exclude stickers on brick(s).

and so; most of them might be obvious to some of us but it can be quite tricky for a newbie/kid who are only use to see the shapes.

This is especially important if you ever going to allow us to browse the catalog, outside or own inventory. ie to look around and see what parts exist without searching for them. much like you can do on bricklink.

Feedback on current categories:

I think the minifigure category needs to be split into subcategories for each type of printed part (leg, torso atleast) aswell as a accessory category, none printed parts and whole figures can remain in the current category.

Plates need to follow ungoing "brick" subdivision just cover parts smaller then height 1. This is most likely already on the todo list.

I think it's good that you don't seperate doors and windows, I have allways thought they belonged together. Especially when constructing buildings.

I think "wing" is going to be a bad name, it's better to follow up with plate subtypes, ie "plates rounded", "plates cutouts" or something along those lines.

other then that more categories is still needed to cover shapes, like wheels, plants and keep seperating commonly printed parts into their own categories so they don't cumber up and slow up a inventory.

stickers should remain seperate, while I still think I should beable mark the intact stickered parts correctly in my collection. Counted either as a 'blank' or stickered piece when doing a build calculation.

I had a post ready to go, and it's now up.

Minifigs :- These won't be split further. They are rebrickable amongst themselves, and not out of their category. Keeping them in one category also allows for future category manipulation, such as excluding them from set build calculations.

Minifig Accessories is already a category, you just don't have anything that's in there yet.

Most of your other suggestions went live this morning too.

Wing - I don't particularly like the name but it's been used since 1993...

Stickers - These are not rebrickable [transferable from one set to make another] and are on the todo list. What will happen I don't know. If we catalogue them then they have to be added to sets as alternate parts, but are useless for rebuilding. If we don't we're stuck with orphan parts, because people [especially me] want a 100% accurate inventory. Basically - maybe, not sure on stickers.

well imo I can live with having a set incomplete because it miss a sticker, I can still build it, but I don't want to remove a sticker to build another set or have less then 100% just because I marked the brick as stickered while not having a none stickered part on that specific part. In a sense I want to keep track of which pieces that I still have stickered and which got destroyed during all years of playing. I am still inventoring my collection and is throwing away bricks that is to broken to be acceptable. I hope to order what I miss when I am done. (maybe not the stickers but everything else)

As it is now I either can't markup stickered pieces, or I have to mark them up twice, ie once as sticker and once without. So it's kind of crappy either way. because the inventory will be faulty one way or the other. ie show more parts then I have or show that I miss part I do have.

That's the dilemma with stickers. They're not really in the ethos of Rebrickable, but I'd like to make it possible for a complete and accurate inventory for users.

I think that they aren't really that diffrent from other printed patterns. You can build a set without them aslong as you have a none pattern brick.

The only difference is that they get destroyed easier, while pattern survive quite along time before getting rubbed off, unless you look on stickers that goes over several bricks. they really suck, and rarely survive for long.

it's a sign that you don't use your lego if they do.

STAMPs will never get inventoried here, they are the work of Shiva the destroyer.

Is there a glossary of abbreviations at rebrickable?  I can figure out STAMPs from the context of the previous message, but would like to know the actual   words it represents.

Stickers Across Multiple Parts.

Lego has almost completely stopped this quite recently, due to AFOL rage, but the brilliant new Maersk remake has about 50 STAMPs. I cried.

Is there a glossary of abbreviations at rebrickable?  I can figure out STAMPs from the context of the previous message, but would like to know the actual   words it represents.

Jason [aka Caperberry] has this one. Mild sarcasm may be detectable in a definition or two  :o

Jason [aka Caperberry] has this one. Mild sarcasm may be detectable in a definition or two  :o

Thanks for that link.  I'm pretty fluent in sarcasm delivered in British English.