JackBauer

Search For Sets With Rare Parts In My Parts List

Hi,

Wouldn't it be easy if there was a search option to find sets I can build with rare parts. For example I have a part that only exists in a few sets. I can look manually for it, but I have a lot of parts so It would be handy if the search engine could do this for me

You can simply click on the part in question in your inventory, this will bring up a popup for changing quantity, click on the part image and it will bring you to the part page, from here you simply click on the rare color and you get a list of sets with that part. simply click on the set you want to build.

not sure how the search engine can improve that, the build feature would be a better choice. In a way you can already do some of it, simply by inputting the set with the rare part into the  build engine and other sets with the rare part is going to be among the results.t

I know I can do it that way, but I'm trying to complete sets from a box of legos I bought. So if I have to look at every set individually wether I have the parts or not, takes a lot of time. A search engine could easily tell me how much percent parts I have for each set, but I would like to start from rare parts in my parts list

Well simply input that box of lego into it's own partlist, starting with the rare and odd parts and use the build function with that part list, when you feel you have added enough and you will get the results. You will most likely find out which sets that are in that box before you have to input all the parts. 

That just it, I don't know what sets are in the box. It was a box of 16kg of mixed lego blocks, without instructions or whatsoever. I want to sort them and make sets again

In these cases I'll sort rest of the parts into broad categories (bricks, plates. slopes and curves, etc... depends on how many tubs and bowls you can get!) and pluck out any rare parts on the way. That both helps you grab parts that you discover you need for individual sets, and speeds up sorting the rest of the lot afterwards.

Minifigs, printed and stickered pieces, number plates (often have the actual set number on them), and anything that looks unusual are worth putting aside for set identification. It gets easier the more sets you pluck out!

That's how I do it now. I buy per month about 20kg of lego blocks to sort into Original sets and until now I did it manually. I just recently started to enter the parts here in a database so I could speed up things. I have about 8 - 10000 new pieces a month so it would be a lot easier if rebrickable could tell me what sets I have. The reason I asked for a search based on rare parts is that they are a 'lot' more expensive to buy afterward to complete a set than instead start from rare parts and buy missing pieces that are not so rare.

I just like to see it automated so it would save me some time.

And in case of searching for sets based on minifigs, I find it difficult. It usually takes me a lot of time to find the right body here on rebrickable so I skip this way of searching.

Printed and numbered pieces a help, yes, but I have for instance a certain color container that are only in a few sets. There are many more bricks that are limited in color that I don't know about. Hence the reason for the automated search based on rare parts.

Well an algorithm can't read minds, it can only do what you want with what information you feed it. I can't see any short cut in identifying the parts, except for searching for them one by one and add them when found. You will learn the part ID's and how to search soon enough.

That's a lot of bricks to take in! You can disable your other parts lists, upload your new parts to an empty list and then perform the "What can I build?" search, that will show you the most possibilities from the new haul, but as Biodreamer says there's only so much you can automate.

Identifying minifigs becomes easier over time. You can narrow down by searching only for torsos of a certain colour, for example. I'll also use Bricklink in those cases as you can view all minifigs from a certain theme, and search within those subsets.

It would be handy for sorting job lots to have the ability to combine parts into an incomplete set, with any missing parts logged in the Lost Parts list. Doing this task manually is time consuming!