AxeSlash

Wanted/wish List - Which Set Fulfils Most Of It?

Something that I think appears to be sorely missing from most of lego-related sites is a way of looking up which set is best to buy that will give you the parts to make the MOC you are creating.

So e.g. I have designed my own MOC in LDD/LDraw/whatever (I actually use Sketchup), and have a wish list on BL or BO (I also have it in XML & CSV format) that contains all the parts that I need to buy to be able to build the MOC.

I would like to see a list of sets sorted by percentage match (kinda similar to the 'BUILD' feature, but instead of showing you what parts you are short of to build the set, it shows you what parts that you want that the set DOES NOT contain).

So I can then see whether I'm better off buying a set or buying the parts separately.

Is that possible?

Is there already a way to do it with the API?

Off the top of my sleep-deprived head have you tried the compare feature? Make a private MOC with your wishlist, and use the compare feature against the set you want to build?

Also, more importantly... Wait, what? Sketchup has LEGO?

You can get lego components for Sketchup from 3D Warehouse. However, the poly count is usually too high so your machine grinds to a halt pretty quickly with anything other than small MOCs. I, however, have been slowly drawing my own Technic components, complete with a guide layer that makes them easy to snap together; I'm also working on a solution where you export a list of components from Sketchup using a plugin, paste

...that into an Excel sheet (that contains your stock), and the sheet a) tells you what you are short of and B) can export a Bricklink-compatible wishlist.

Don't hold your breath for anything to be uploaded any time soon though, it's riddled with bugs atm :P

Sent from my phone, excuse typos...