theskirrid

New Catalogue Categories

One of the many suggestions often received is for more parts categories.

Now is the time!

Categories are based on Lego standards, but less idiosyncratic, and you should find most sections self-explanatory as to their contents.

All parts will be sorted manually, and if there's any parts that you think are in the wrong category just shout out in this forum.

Parts are now split into the following categories:-

• Axles
  • Bars and Fences
  • Baseplates
  • Beams - Technic full and half beams
  • Beams Special - beams with modifications, like the Bionicle/HF parts that are almost Technic, but not quite
  • Bricks
  • Bricks Curved - includes arches.
  • Bricks Printed
  • Bricks Sloped - normal and inverts.
  • Bricks Special - bricks with modifications.
  • Bricks Wedged - All compound wedges, normal and inverted.
  • Bushes
  • Containers
  • Gears
  • Hinges
  • Minifig Accessories
  • Minifigs
  • Non-LEGO - Game cards, pencils etc
  • Other - All that weird stuff I have no idea where else to put, mostly string.
  • Panels - LURPs, BURPs, fairings and panels.
  • Pins
  • Plants and Animals
  • Plates
  • Plates Special - Plates with holes, lumps and bumps modified plates.
  • Power and Pneumatic Functions
  • Technic Bricks
  • Technic Special - Technic that's not a brick/beam/special e.g. engine blocks, disks
  • Tiles
  • Tiles Printed
  • Tiles Special
  • Transportation - Car, boat and plane specific parts.
  • Tubes and Hoses
  • Wheels and Tyres - You're kidding, you know what these are!
  • Windows and Doors
  • Wings

This is about as far as we would like to split categories up, to keep it manageable, coherent and stop it from sprawling into subsections of infinite complexity.

Feedback is welcome, enjoy!

Please take a look at the Arches.  There are some in my Brick and Other categories. Shouldn't they all be in Brick Curved?  If this is already on the to-do list Thanks.

Looks very organized. Perhaps add the word, Ladders, to the Bars and Fences and include 6020 and other ladders.  There are also some other bars still remaining in my Other category.   Again, if this is already on the to-do list Thanks.

I'm manually reclassifying everything. I'm stating with my parts [about 100K] and then doing the rest, as I can do that from my 'My Parts' page. So all the categories are there, but not all the parts are sorted.

Ladders in the bars category is a good idea, I'm stealing that!

If you can find an obvious way to identify parts belonging to a specific category I can try to update them in bulk.

I've been trying to think of a way that will be reliable, and can't tbh. There's so many part number and name conventions I can't imagine how to match strings well enough. It'll be more work sorting out mis-matches than just blitzing them.

Thankfully my work as a lion-tamer and sex instructor leaves me the free time.

Shouldn't there be train category for tracks and such train related parts. right now neither category make sense for them. or is it transportation?

Transportation, but I may split that if it gets insanely big, like 'other' got [or still is, I'm working on it I swear].

There's still a few tweaks, but it's main aim is to be simple and obvious where something goes. If there's loads of parts left in other I may get Nathan to do some more categories, he loves being given work!

Edit:- I don't know why I forgot trains, I only rescued a 182 set from the loft last week. My fifth birthday present.

Just looked at my Other category and it has really dwindled down.  Give yourself a pat on the back!

Here's a couple arches that didn't move.  6060 in Light Gray  30528 in Black and Sand Purple.

What about Antennas in Bars  

Cones in...?  Cones are definitely bricks, but kinda sloped and curved at the same time.

Castle Turrets in....?  Maybe as BUCTs(big ugly castle turrets) in Panels

Just throwing these out there as I think of them.  No pressure.  Squeeze them in between your lion's sex education and taming your sex partner. :P  

turrets should go into bricks special. not sure about cones, but to me they are more round then sloped, if you have to pick category.

I'm going to hassle Nathan for a couple of tweaks for round bricks and other bits and pieces. I thought that would happen anyway, as I started to recategorise everything the stuff that was left would suggest tweaks.

Turrets will go with BURP/LURP or bricks special [as they are special bricks I guess], antennas I don't know yet, but it's getting there !

I'm not sure if this is the right place now to submit suggestions. If so I have 3 baseplates in the Other section that should go to Baseplates:

3497, 2552px2 (and probably all other versions of this part), 6099p02 (same here).

No, that's OK, I meant to make a post for misfiled items and haven't yet. I'll do those for you now, and make a post too.

is there a point yet? three categories isn't fully processed yet: bricks, plates and others. what's in them can be leftover from the old category system. Until you think your done with them, we will only point on things you haven't had time to do yet.

It's not a problem, the list will be in it's own post, it keeps things tidy, and there's a good chance I'll miss stuff along the way anyway.

How about a Technic, Steering and Pulley category

Today's please rename the part nominee

Technic Wishbone Suspension Arm

There's been a few little tweaks and some new categories, when I see what's left there may be more. I think you might be right for steering and pulleys though.

Today's please rename the part nominee

Technic Wishbone Suspension Arm

Hmmm, that is a wishbone, and a suspension part. Lego call it "LT suspension" which isn't much better TBH.