zabdiel

Official Alternative Models

Thanks Simon :)

Sounds like a lot of effort, but I will see what I can do. It is a shame that our brains think faster than the ability to actually make the instructions for other people to benefit :)

Brian

On 4/23/2018 at 9:08 AM, Brickfan said:

THanks for this Simon. I think it would just be simpler and quicker to say "follow the instructions to page 19, then do...." but I will still have to put all the parts into stud.io anyway in order to put the extra bits in, which still takes a lot of time. I have discovered that you can use a particular set's palette of pieces in stud.io so that dramatically reduces the number of pieces and colours that you need to look through in order to build. That is saving time, but it is still taking longer than I expected. Are there any pieces of software that will create building instructions for you from a design like Lego digital designer did? that I think would be quicker.

Thanks also for the clarity about the instructions booklet, ie in effect you have include the whole thing, not just part, hence your/my first comment  "follow the instructions to page 19, then do...." 

Brian

Hi Brian,

You mentioned the time it takes searching for parts.

Stud.io has an option to import official models, if you import the model that you're making an alternate build of you can just cut and paste the parts you need from there.

I'm currently working on documenting an alternate build of the 42056 Porsche kit (see link) and this has saved me tons of time.

On 4/23/2018 at 9:08 AM, Brickfan said:

THanks for this Simon. I think it would just be simpler and quicker to say "follow the instructions to page 19, then do...." but I will still have to put all the parts into stud.io anyway in order to put the extra bits in, which still takes a lot of time. I have discovered that you can use a particular set's palette of pieces in stud.io so that dramatically reduces the number of pieces and colours that you need to look through in order to build. That is saving time, but it is still taking longer than I expected. Are there any pieces of software that will create building instructions for you from a design like Lego digital designer did? that I think would be quicker.

Thanks also for the clarity about the instructions booklet, ie in effect you have include the whole thing, not just part, hence your/my first comment  "follow the instructions to page 19, then do...." 

Brian

Hi Brian,

You mentioned the time it takes searching for parts.

Stud.io has an option to import official models, if you import the model that you're making an alternate build of you can just cut and paste the parts you need from there.

I'm currently working on documenting an alternate build of the 42056 Porsche kit (see link) and this has saved me tons of time.

https://www.reddit.com/r/lego/comments/8ogrib/lancia_stratos_moc_alternate_build_for_set_42056/

Cheers

Thanks Pleasedontspammebro. I did discover that option, and yes it certainly saves a lot of time. I still find it a slow process, but then if I took lots of photos and made them available, it would still take time making sure the lighting was suitably good enough etc.

Your Lancia Stratos looks ace by the way :)

Brian

2 hours ago, Brickfan said:

Thanks Pleasedontspammebro. I did discover that option, and yes it certainly saves a lot of time. I still find it a slow process, but then if I took lots of photos and made them available, it would still take time making sure the lighting was suitably good enough etc.

Your Lancia Stratos looks ace by the way :)

Brian

Yes it does take a lot of time - quite a shock the first time around but worth it I think to share your ideas with the world.

Thanks for the compliment!