Aimeeaa

Making Instructions, But Not Using Lpub?

Do any other programs exist for making step-by-step instructions from ldr/mpd files, apart from LPub?

I find it really unintuitive, buggy, and sluggish - for example, when I try and drag a box containing a callout, or arrange things on a page, it bugs out and things jump around all over the page, often outside the page borders.

I make sure as I've learned to use LDraw better and better, that I include steps and rotations in the files themselves, but even then LPub is a nightmare to use. Blueprint seems to only be for LDD.

So what can I do? Is it a case of get good with LPub or go home?

Edit: I should also mention, about 75% of the time, the program crashes on startup (at the splash screen), and 100% of the time, it gives redundant error messages when I open a file, move something, edit a page, or perform any action, saying it failed to open, for example C:/Users/Name/Desktop/MOCs/LPub3D/tmp/c:\users\name\desktop\mocname.ldr.

I see you're using LPub3D. Because of your startup issue, I suppose you were using LPub 2.0. It came out relatively recently and it was a major update. Because a lot of things changed under the hood, it had a bit of a rough start (including the startup issues). Try updating to the newest version (I believe 2.0.5). It's a lot more stable than previous versions of LPub3D 2.0 and even more stable than the old original LPub. It might be better to uninstall your current LPub3D and reinstall the newest versions due to some issues that arose with the major rewrite of 2.0.

I'm using LPub and LPub3D for a long time now and I can tell you it's by far the best instructions editor for LDraw out there. The original LPub was slowly dying, but then someone picked it up again and started updating it, which resulted in LPub3D. He's quite active on the LDraw forums, so if you have any bugs, don't hesitate to post them there :)