HallBricks

Replace A Color With Another

If a set (or a MOC) uses a lot of parts in a certain color, it would be nice to have the option to replace that certain color with another and recalculate the build. 

Lets take the recent Technic Crawler Crane for example (42042). That set includes a lot of parts in blue, which was a quite uncommon color in technic until that model was released. It would be nice if you had the option recalculate your build and replacing all blue parts with red, for example which is a much more common color. Switching the color match setting to ignore doesn't do the same job as it mixes all different colors, it would be great if you could check if your % would increase if you would build the crane in red instead of blue. 

I actually did something like this with another set.

Export the inventory in whatever file format you can work with to make changes.

Change all the color codes for blue to red at one time.(My husband is very familiar with xml files so he did  this part for me.)

Import the new inventory to a private MOC.  If there are parts that are not available in the new color, you will get error messages.

Check the parts with error messages to see if there are alternates you can use.

Then use the build function to get your percentage.

I actually did something like this with another set.

Export the inventory in whatever file format you can work with to make changes.

Change all the color codes for blue to red at one time.(My husband is very familiar with xml files so he did  this part for me.)

Import the new inventory to a private MOC.  If there are parts that are not available in the new color, you will get error messages.

Check the parts with error messages to see if there are alternates you can use.

Then use the build function to get your percentage.

Thank you! I will try that, but it would still be a nice feature to have built in to Rebrickable :)

I forgot to say Welcome to rebrickable earlier.   :)   

As a new member you may not be aware that there is a version 3 in the works.  I'll add your suggestion to Nathan's ever-growing list.

If it were going to happen soon, I wouldn't have given you the laborious way.  But it's at least 6 months down the road.  For now, the Admins are trying to do most of the upfront work, so Nathan can hide out in the background and work on it.

I forgot to say Welcome to rebrickable earlier.   :)   

As a new member you may not be aware that there is a version 3 in the works.  I'll add your suggestion to Nathan's ever-growing list.

If it were going to happen soon, I wouldn't have given you the laborious way.  But it's at least 6 months down the road.  For now, the Admins are trying to do most of the upfront work, so Nathan can hide out in the background and work on it.

Hi again, and thank you! I've actually been using rebrickable for many years already. I haven't been that active in the forums though. I know that version 3 is on its way, but I didn't know there was a special list for suggestions. Thank you for adding this to Nathan's list. Your solution worked just fine for me, thank you! But as I said earlier it would be nice to have it built in :) 

I just tried to do this myself and came up with almost the same solution as thea. I first copied the parts list to a private MOC and then edited each part I wanted to change the colour of. It takes a bit more clicking than if you edited the xml file, especially if there's lots of parts to change, but if you're not familiar with editing xml then it might be an easier solution. Also, it's easy to pick and choose exactly which parts you want to change colour (for example, in the set you specified, you probably wouldn't want to change the blue axle/pins to red), and when you edit the part, you'll see what colours you have of that part (assuming you've got your parts list set up).

Still, a colour replace option would be pretty cool.

Going off this idea, it would be nice if you could upload a specific color configuration to a MOC. For instance I'm currently building this MOC http://rebrickable.com/mocs/Thorsten50/mclaren-f1in black, and I changed all the red parts to black, but some of the axles and pins on the bodywork also got changed to black. Also sometimes building a MOC in another color can be impeded by not having a part in a specific color. Users can find alternatives to these parts and still build the MOC in another color. It would be nice if users could upload an alternative color scheme to a MOC which could involve not just the body work, but interior pieces or alternative parts in another color