biodreamer

Ideabook Inventories

well is the first entry okay? or is it something I should adjust. I can easily add the subsets and work through their inventories, the problem will be images for the ones I can't build. Not sure how I can upload them later, if I do them without image. does they work like MOCS. ie I can go in and change my own entries or do they behave diffrently?

Sorry, only just approved it this morning but all looks good to me. You won't be able to modify sets you submit, only MOCs so I'd prefer only the ones that have images to be submitted. I'd like to overhaul the inventory submission process anyway so it's easier for multiple people to contribute.

Nothing and no-one is going to explode if we actually say Bricklink :) I'm quite happy to openly discuss or link to things on other forums.

Saying the "other" Forum was just a way to vent some frustration.   :rolleyes:I'm not afraid to say BrickLink.  I'm not even afraid to post '"MY Side of the Story" over there as a sort of "cease and desist" of my own.  ;)  

I didn't post it here as a reply to theskirrid's personal comment because so far this Forum has focused on sharing ideas for creating something new and exciting.

I can build, and/or have built, most of the sets in the three ideabooks  250 6000 and 7777.  What I'm not very good at is taking pictures.  But if I build a set from these books, I will try to get a picture of it uploaded. 

I'm really excited about this project because it will be useful next year when I do my 30 Years of Building with Bricks event.  Place isn't determined yet but it will probably be from Aug-Dec. 2014

for the 250 book my status is:

subset 26 castle, (can't build with yellow roof)

The book has a 1987 date on it.  The only set I can find with a yellow 3045 pre-dating the book is a Basic Building set 740-1.  Fortunately, it has been used recently in the Friends Olivia's House 3315-1.  I have several of this Friends set and was planning on building them soon.  So that's the 250 subset I'll start on.

When I get up. -_-

I have to cross off subset 5 from my list, I didn't notice the lower wings when I quickly looked through the book. so I missing parts for that one.

I will do subset 6 tomorrow and just give the girl blue pants. (You can't see the color)

The book has a 1987 date on it.  The only set I can find with a yellow 3045 pre-dating the book is a Basic Building set 740-1.  Fortunately, it has been used recently in the Friends Olivia's House 3315-1.  I have several of this Friends set and was planning on building them soon.  So that's the 250 subset I'll start on.

When I get up. -_-

I've rounded up the parts and built subset 26.  I'll take pictures when I have a couple more sets built.

Now I'm working on an inventory.  Have you been using only parts that were available before 1987 in the inventory?  It doesn't matter what we use when we build it just for a picture, but to keep it accurate in the inventory things like 4085 need to be correct to the time the book was printed.  How can we show that it could be 4085a or 4085b?

While doing all this research I sometimes stumble across something interesting.  6846-1 was the only set prior to 1987 with a white 4032.  So if we were doing this in 1987, a white 1 x 2 round plate would have been very rare. 

I have to cross off subset 5 from my list, I didn't notice the lower wings when I quickly looked through the book. so I missing parts for that one.

Those red door rails are gonna be tough.  I have enough of them, but they're stored away as boxcars with my train stuff that I don't normally get out until November to work on the Christmas layout.

I'll save subset 5 for last.  Maybe someone else can do it before November.

I found a wind-up red motor so I can do subsets 2 and 3 one at a time.  I actually built a ferry in blue years ago that looked very much like subset 4.  I have lots of yellow windows available, so I will do subset 4 Ferry also.

Lunchtime for me.  Back in a little while.

I've rounded up the parts and built subset 26.  I'll take pictures when I have a couple more sets built.

Now I'm working on an inventory.  Have you been using only parts that were available before 1987 in the inventory?  It doesn't matter what we use when we build it just for a picture, but to keep it accurate in the inventory things like 4085 need to be correct to the time the book was printed.  How can we show that it could be 4085a or 4085b?

While doing all this research I sometimes stumble across something interesting.  6846-1 was the only set prior to 1987 with a white 4032.  So if we were doing this in 1987, a white 1 x 2 round plate would have been very rare. 

Not really, I used 3001 not 3001old for example. I dislike that mold definition because it's like 10 diffrent molds in that range and a few above it. but I think we should keep the inventory accurate for the age when it makes sense. unless it's a basic bricks. those we should keep common. no 3065 or crssprt* just because of the age. I didn't use them with my old MOCS. I don't see a reason to demand old bricks which usually are worse then new to build something when the result will look the same. 4085 should remain undetermined ie no letter at all. the catalog doesn't demand a specific subtype. Nathan will sort that out in the long run.

I am currently inventoring my collection, that why it goes a bit slow. I don't want to touch the uninventoried part of my collection by using them to build. So I am prioritising to get the collection into the system. estimate that I am about 3/4 done. so about 10000 parts left...

http://bricksafe.com/files/thea/250-1%20pictures/250-1-s26-1c.jpg

Could you check out the picture and see if it will work for this project?  If it's not clear enough, I can try again.

Before I submit the inventory for this I wanted to make a suggestion.  The way biodreamer's numbering the sets is hard to work with. I'm working on a couple different subsets at the same time and I keep having to recount to see what set I'm working on.  

Can we make the standard subset numbering in the catalog to be the page the model build starts on?  If there are 2 models that start on that page, the first is a and the second b and so on.  That would make this 250-1-p46a-1.

well I would say it's as good at it will be with a cheap mobile camera. Yes the subset numering system was bad. your number scheme is fine but i think we can skip one of the -1's so

250-p46a-1 or 250-x46a-1 if you make a MOC looking like one of the picture that lacks instructions, if it has unseen parts, You will need to provide instructions.

http://bricksafe.com/files/thea/250-1%20pictures/250-1-s26-1c.jpg

Could you check out the picture and see if it will work for this project?  If it's not clear enough, I can try again.

Before I submit the inventory for this I wanted to make a suggestion.  The way biodreamer's numbering the sets is hard to work with. I'm working on a couple different subsets at the same time and I keep having to recount to see what set I'm working on.  

Can we make the standard subset numbering in the catalog to be the page the model build starts on?  If there are 2 models that start on that page, the first is a and the second b and so on.  That would make this 250-1-p46a-1.

Picture is fine for size, but focus that sucker! That's a nice little set in real life too. Someone's stuck it on Cuusoo too, which seems odd.

As for set numbers, the first submitted is 250-1-s1 from page 4 so I'd ignore that number, and go by page/model through the book. Whatever you decide between you is OK, but numbering by page is buggered by the first one so just ignore it.  :rolleyes:  Page number also means you know who's doing what.

I'd keep the 250-1 because it will help 'if you liked this' auto-matching and bring up the book first, so my suggestion would be 250-1-4a-1 4a being first model page 4 250-1-15c-1 being third model page 15 etc.

Don't worry about instructions, because we're counting them as subsets, unlike MOCs they do not have to have instructions, as long as they're in the book as at least a picture that make it clear how it's built that's groovy. So remember to submit them as a set not a MOC.

I'll tag them as well with page number and idea book, so they'll be searchable whatever you decide.

I've also added the idea book as part ideabook250, so the 250-1 set isn't empty.

Sorry, I don't know where my digital camera is and even if I did find it, I'd need the book to learn how to use it again.  I am using an ancient flip-phone with not so good eyesight and arthritis in my hands.  The train layout pictures were taken by my son which explains why they're much better.  

I didn't know we were going to do any others besides the ones that have actual building instructions.  It would change the subset structuring.

For example the picture at the top of pages 46-47 would be a subset of 250-1.  Then the smaller structures and models would be subsets of that subset. Or...You would need to create an inventory for the ideabook main picture that included everything needed to build the entire scene on those pages.

I vote to just do the models that have the official instructions as subsets.  Any others from the pictures could be MOCs.

<-- knee arthritis, you have my sympathies. Probably a good point about instructions = subset, no instructions = MOC.

<-- knee arthritis, you have my sympathies. Probably a good point about instructions = subset, no instructions = MOC.

I agree to this but I still wanted the MOCS to follow the naming sequence so you can bring it up with the others in a search. The only exception is very easy to build subsets that is obvious how to build. Many of the really old have these and I think they should be subsets or we will have issues with the older catalogs from the 60-70's, where one picture is all you get. in 250-1 case I would treat all none instruction as MOCS and all instruction as subsets. But we can't hardwire that rules for all ideabooks, it must be decided book by book. when it comes to the first entry you can change it or clone it and then delete the old. When we have ironed out which way we should name them.

250-1-p11-1.JPG

Has been submitted as 250-1-p11-1.

I will move on to light & sound firetruck on page 16. Apparently my 1498-1 Spy-bot has lost one arm during the years, so I can't build the two subset inbetween, because of one missing hinge.

replacements needs to be ordered.

I am done inventoring, only minor adjustment will be needed, well unless I buy more that is. That's for parts, I still have to verify that all the sets I own is complete and move them from parts to set inventory. But that is alot of bugging skirrid about adding and splitting minifigs. so that will take time.

currently my 20 build pages range from 100-95% completion and almost all of those sets is because of missing minifigs, not the correct mold. and a few where I actually do miss the parts.

250-1-p11-1.JPG

Has been submitted as 250-1-p11-1.

I will move on to light & sound firetruck on page 16. Apparently my 1498-1 Spy-bot has lost one arm during the years, so I can't build the two subset inbetween, because of one missing hinge.

I used a magnifying glass on page 11 of my book and I think the hair should be 4530 female hair.  Is that what you used?  Hard to tell in your picture because of the windscreen stud.

Did you notice that the build on page 13 uses those red plates with rails too?  I'll add those hinges to the list of things I need to look for.  Don't order any replacement parts yet.  When you finish as much as you can, let me know what you need and I'll send you what I have that I can spare.

I used a magnifying glass on page 11 of my book and I think the hair should be 4530 female hair.  Is that what you used?  

Yes it's black female hair. I cheated on this and used old hinges instead of new, but that's alright when it isn't visible in the image. The inventory is correct!

Did you notice that the build on page 13 uses those red plates with rails too? 

No actually I didn't another reason I can't build that one.

I'll add those hinges to the list of things I need to look for.  Don't order any replacement parts yet.  When you finish as much as you can, let me know what you need and I'll send you what I have that I can spare.

are you offering me potential free LEGO? I can't say no to that. But I have plans to order a few hundred pieces for my own birthday present coming up the 2nd of november. I will see what i fit in that order.

Much of the LEGO train things we have were given to us in exchange for a promise to share our LEGO collection with "children" wherever we went.  Since you're about the same age as my "child", you qualify for sharing. :)

That link doesn't work. and aslong as you do it right, it's great let us now which one your working on. and please do it ahead of time so we don't go for the same subset and also note down which you can't build with correct parts/color. it's shouldn't be alterated in anyway.

I can understand that 28-41 is hard to build, I can't build it either, lacks two wheels and the yellow technic plates making up the end of it. But it's the model I like the most in that entire book.

in 8888 it's the last model.

8890, 8891 is books i barely touched.

Please keep us updated, nathan and skirrid is very busy people, so it's good to keep us up to date. it can take several days before a set/MOC is approved.

The book 8889 is completed by me.

Tonight i did begin on the 8890, but i am missing a lot of white static beams.

I will only built the Technic books, my collection Lego exsits mainly out of Technic.

The link is removed my host does not support muliple downloads from another website, that was the notification.

Regards Marchel

Congratulations!  Quite an achievement!  Thanks for sharing with us here.  

I don't have 8889 in my son's stack of Technic books, but I looked at it at peeron.com.  Did you build the bridge model on page 110-113?  I may use that idea in my new train layout.

After I found 8890 I looked through his technic parts and there are quite a few spare white beams.  They may be needed to rebuild the 8480 space shuttle though.  It met with  a small disaster when we moved in 2011 and I haven't found the time yet to fix it.

Right now Paul(my husband) is in the middle of building 10220 VW Camper.  Maybe when he finishes that, I can put him to work on the shuttle.