SirRoadDog

Option To Sort Color Names By Color

Hello-

Your site is fantastic and I've been using it with much success to sort my collection. However, finding the exact color of piece can be frustrating. One option that might make this task less frustrating is to be able to sort the color list by general color name first. 

For example, if I have a green piece, that isn't quite green, how best to determine its actual shade? Is it bright green, or medium green, lite green, or dark green? No, the database says my part isn't available in any of these colors. Wait, it's "*yellowish* green"?? What in the world is yellowish green?

This issue might be resolved by re-sorting the names such that the primary color appears first: Green Bright, Green Medium, Green Lite, Green Dark, Green Yellowish, etc. This way, when you scroll to the Gs to find Green, you have all the green options right in front of you, instead of having to scroll the entire list to find the arbitrary first letter of some descriptor of "green" that you've never heard of.

The one exception to this might be "Trans", "Chrome", or "Metallic". These are such a different take on the color that the identifier should probably appear first, setting all of these into the same alphabetic range of the listing.

As I mentioned earlier, this could be an option. I'm sure certain some of your most active users have the list memorized backwards and forwards in its present form. In order to not disrupt their workflow, re-sorting this list to primary color first should probably be an option, or possibly a separate drop down in the search page. 

When you encounter a problem like this, try using the Part Colors choice in the Parts tab at the top of a rebrickable page.  The various color families are grouped together there, with the exception of Trans Colors as you mentioned. :)

A Chrome part has a coating applied to the part.  There are various shades of Chrome like Gold, Silver, Brass, etc.  Sometimes it's difficult to tell if a part has been "Chromed" by LEGO or customized by a third party.(Purist collectors :ph34r:  )  And then there is the LEGO name  Metalized Gold = Chrome Gold, but there is another LEGO color name Gold that = Metallic Gold. :rolleyes: 

All in all it's quite confusing, so if you have any difficulties, just ask for help. :)

I agree that alphabetical sorting of color names in all inventories (both part lists and set inventories) is not the best option, I hope it will be changed in Rebrickable v3.

I have a related suggestion. Part usage tables on part pages are very useful for finding right parts in right colors (I guess this functionality will remain in Rebrickable v3), but transparent colors are mixed with non-transparent which is quite confusing. For example, thumbnails of Red and Trans-Red are almost identical and I need to read the tooltips every time to find out which is which. I suggest that transparent colors should be separated to make it clearer.

I agree that alphabetical sorting of color names in all inventories (both part lists and set inventories) is not the best option, I hope it will be changed in Rebrickable v3.

I have a related suggestion. Part usage tables on part pages are very useful for finding right parts in right colors (I guess this functionality will remain in Rebrickable v3), but transparent colors are mixed with non-transparent which is quite confusing. For example, thumbnails of Red and Trans-Red are almost identical and I need to read the tooltips every time to find out which is which. I suggest that transparent colors should be separated to make it clearer.

I'll do some tests to see what it's like sorting by Hue like the color table. v3 has many more options for sorting already.

Do you have an example page that highlights the trans-red problem?

This is what I meant:

640x151.jpg

The 1st color from the left is Trans-Clear, the 2nd is White, the 3rd is Red, the 4th is Trans-Red and so on. Different colors are easily distinguishable except for the transparent counterparts.

I support both suggestions. I prefer logical/pattern sorting before correct English sentences. ie Grey, Light is okay because Grey is more important then Light. but if you can have both and still have correct sorting it's better.

another thing color seem to be sorted differently on different pages. sometimes it goes by id ie black first followed by blue... other like the color palette have different order why not stick to one order everywhere unless user can select?

another thing color seem to be sorted differently on different pages. sometimes it goes by id ie black first followed by blue... other like the color palette have different order why not stick to one order everywhere unless user can select?

I figured out a couple years ago the colors at the top of the drop-down color list for a part were based on the number of times the part appeared in a set.  Then below those, colors with (0) were alphabetically listed.  Very difficult to work with.

I have yet to figure out the system used for the color order in Sheo's image example. :wacko:  It looks like it's sort of following a ROY G BIV until Black shows up in the middle.  

And I have to use the tool tips almost every time too.  ;)

I agree it's inconsistent everywhere, v3 has already addressed that. Every list of parts/sets are orderable and default to user preferences. I'd now added Hue as one of the options in v3.

Sheo's screenshot is sorted by Hue (the H in HSV not RGB), and black shows up annoyingly in the middle because the RGB we are using for it is not truly black. Not sure where it came from now.

I will look at what I can do for transparent colors.