kgb

Disappearing Mocs...

I've been working on "bricklinking" parts for several MOCs for quite some time now, only to realize that the MOCs now have disappeared from Rebrickable. So much for harvesting bricks I don't need anymore  :angry: (of course, I'll find use for them in other MOCs) Why can't MOCs be made just as sticky as official sets?  

Can you give me a specific MOC to check?  It's possible that you did your search during the time there was a temporary limit of 5000 parts in the build function.  I know it gave me a bit of a scare when a 20K MOC that I was gathering parts for didn't show up in the build search. :o  ;)

Designers remove their MOCs from Rebrickable sometimes, there were a bunch of Modular Building ones removed just recently.

MOC-1850 was one of them I was gathering parts for. This was, as Nathan write, a modular building. 

I have a long list of Modular MOCs saved, but 1850 didn't come up in my file search.  If it had free pdf instructions, I might have it saved under just the name.  What kind of modular was it?  for example-flower shop, cafe, tan house, train station

I have a long list of Modular MOCs saved, but 1850 didn't come up in my file search.  If it had free pdf instructions, I might have it saved under just the name.  What kind of modular was it?  for example-flower shop, cafe, tan house, train station

Thank you for this, but this didn't have free instructions. And I can't remember what kind of modular it was.

What I've learnt from this is to download/buy instructions the moment I decide to build it. I didn't know designs could disappear once they've been submitted to Rebrickable.

Yeah, the Lepin clone brand have expanded their business model from copying LEGO sets to include selling sets directly copying public MOCs without any sort of discussion with the designer, which is really crappy. There were a few upcoming sets based on fan-made modular buildings, and so a number of designers have taken down the instructions.

If they'd stuck with making deleted sets (admittedly still wrong), not bothered with copying current sets, and then struck up legitimate deals with MOC designers, they could have been onto a winner. Instead they've alienated the community and caused some nice MOCs to be no longer available.

doesn't make sense. if you allow it for free, you should choose between suing or not. but not punish the innocent users of said mocs.

Well, quite. Suing will be difficult as they're a Chinese company. LEGO are bringing a court case but it's going to take months. And as for taking the MOC down... it's harsh that it's happened but it's already been bootlegged. Taking the instructions down isn't going to change that, and innocent users are the ones who suffer the consequences.

I would just like to put on the record that Lepin had nothing to do with my decision to stop selling instructions.  

That decision was based on personal reasons that I would prefer to not share with the world.