geever

Rebrickable Levels - Why?

Question

Honestly, I don't understand the idea behind the Rebrickable Levels. I mean giving something extra for "Veterans" is a good thing, I support it, but why these features?

• Level 1: Submit MOC
  • Level 2: Submit Change Request
  • Level 3: Submit Set
  • Level 5: Submit Part Photo
  • Level 5: Submit Part

Let's see an example: I have the 4603-1 Set. Rebrickable doesn't have part image for some parts, like the 30643. I could take a picture of the parts, or notify you that there are LDraw parts rendered for some of them, like this 30643, but I can't if I'm not Level 5. So, I could and would like to help making Rebrickable better, but I'm not allowed to? It doesn't feel to be right.

-geever

4 answers to this question

Not going to try and guess/explain Nathan's reasons, but I can say that gaining the first few levels is fairly easy by normal activities like following a user or liking a MOC.

The guide could definitely be improved though.

In the past, we have received a LOT of very low effort change request which basically waste the (volunteered) admin's time. The idea is to at least ensure the user has some experience with the way Rebrickable works. Those levels will no doubt be tweaked as we find the right balance of quality/volume of requests.

And yes, the Help Guide will be expanded on over the coming weeks. I was avoiding too much detail now because I know things will change as soon as it starts getting used and didn't want to rewrite everything/take new screenshots etc every time.

I have to agree with the OP.  I'm a new member, sorting through my sets and checking my parts.  Making my lists and checking them twice! ;)

Now is when I'm most likely to be interacting with my sets and the site, and *now*  is when I'm going to notice mistakes or missing photos and be interested in helping out with fixes.  I can't though, because I'm level 1.

Once I'm finished my personal inventory, I'm less likely to be back.  I won't be a big MOC designer or anything fancy, but I could certainly do my part to make the site better if I were allowed.

That said, are there guidelines for taking pictures of missing parts?  (Background, lighting, angle, file size or format?)

Here are the guidelines on the upload page for pictures:

Please crop your photo so that the part is centered and takes up as much room in the square as possible. Some suggestions for ensuring your photos are used:

• White background
  • Single part per photo
  • Correct coloring
  • Part is in focus
  • Minimal shadow
  • Minimum 500 x 500px
  • Consistent orientation for all colors

Some examples of good photos:

26280-1a.jpg3705-4a.jpg23801-0a.jpg92909-71a.jpg

In some cases we may accept multiple photos for the same part/color, if it shows additional views of important details on the part.