Balrog82

(Completed) Showing Mocs That Have Certain Parts

I have posted this in the Eurobricks forum already.

Currently, it is possible when watching the details of a part to display the sets where the part occured, even sorted by color.

So I thought it would be cool to also show the MOCs where the part occured.

For example here:
http://rebrickable.com/parts/92908

When you scroll down you see the set numbers. Here could be a second "box" that shows the MOCs it appears in.

I would expect this to not be a hard change. The data is there. I guess it is a simple additional database query, or not?

The discussion on EB indicated this to be a rather "simple" addition with the only problem being how to display the list.

I have thought about this for a moment and this is really a tough question. In the case of sets, it is easy, since every set has a unique number and sets are easy to identify that way. I guess the MOC ID would be sufficient there if the rest looks the same as for the sets. A simple additional box should do fine, holding the list of MOC IDs.

If I look for sets where a specific part has occured and I do not know directly from the set number what it is, I simply open a new tab, often resulting in a lot of new tabs. I'd do it the same for MOCs, even if I have no idea by the ID what it is. Of course, the list of MOCs would be better if it held the name of the MOC. But on the other hand, there are MOCs with ridiculously long names which would clutter the list, so I'd go for the ID.

What do you guys think about that?

Someone on EB mentioned, that this was available already in the past, but the "feature" has been dropped to keep the set statistics pure, whereas I bet a different display method would have been sufficient (or would be available now).

But I also think that when talking about single piece statistics, it would not only be cool to see:

Part xy has been used n times in n' sets (Insert list of sets sorted by part color)

But also the same for MOCs. That would also show some trends of part usage and I bet a lot of users would be interested in this when they find it. At first I just thought the Rebrickable is so cool because you can see what you can build with your collection, but there is so much more interesting data. I have found myself several times, going through my parts collection and looking up random or rare parts and see where they have also been used and if I could build these other sets as well.

Yeah, I love the 'datamining' that you can do with Rebrickable. The more this is exposed, the better IMO. Though, to keep the interface simple and prevent scaring innocent newcomers, you might want to hide it in a separate section or something like that.

I don't think it would be necessary. In the part summary at the top of the page you have the line:

This part appears 14 times in 4 sets.

Simply put a line below this that says:

This part appears 24 times in 6 MOCs.

Then when you scroll down you see the box with:

This part appears in the following colors. Click on a colored part to show the sets that have "Technic, Steering Portal Axle Housing" in that color. You can also see the full color list.

There you have a list with the parts and the different colors that it is available in. On the right you see the list of sets. In my example you see:

This could look like

4 sets
8110-1 41999-1 9398-1 45560-1
6 MOCs
Crawler-1 Crawler-2 Buggy-1 ...

I don't think that would have too much of a bad impact on the user experience for newcomers or make the page cluttered. And: Newcomers tend to not search for single parts I would assume.

This is an important feature for fixing a mistake (e. g. nonexistent colour) that appears in multiple MOCs. Or when I bought the hockey spring piece, I wanted to find which MOCs I could now build using it.

This is an important feature for fixing a mistake (e. g. nonexistent colour) that appears in multiple MOCs. Or when I bought the hockey spring piece, I wanted to find which MOCs I could now build using it.

Yeah, I spend a lot of time fixing MOCs, and sometimes have to give up, and say that it's currently unbuildable.

If you submit a change request for a MOC with errors I'll fix it, and post a message for the author on their MOC page.

I've made some changes for this, I think it looks pretty good. Thoughts?

A part replacer! Hot damn! Now I won't have to have three tabs open to fix one set!

:D 

Now we just need a Remove part button aswell, the add part doesn't like negative numbers. So we don't need to reload the whole part panel between each change, which it does if you do the math and press the save button. this is alos what seem to slow down the site to a crawl, unless you do a complete page refresh.

Now we just need a Remove part button aswell, the add part doesn't like negative numbers. So we don't need to reload the whole part panel between each change, which it does if you do the math and press the save button. this is alos what seem to slow down the site to a crawl, unless you do a complete page refresh.

Setting the quantity to zero will remove the part.

Setting the quantity to zero will remove the part.

yes but if you want to remove 1 of 75 or 2 of 63 and so on. it's really enoying to have to  wait for it to save, reload the whole page in a slower state, restart from the top going back to the same category to remove the next part. When you do "add part" it doesn't do this, of course you won't see the result of the addition but it's alot faster. you can allways press update button if you want to verify.