slangivar

Set Pictures

Question

The top set in my set list page is the 2012 City advent calendar (http://rebrickable.com/sets/4428-1/) which means every time I open the page I get a lot of repeated set images.

I assume that just taking the (low res) pictures from Bricklink or similar would be frowned upon and Lego themselves don't seem to have sub set images any more so I thought I would take some pictures of the sub-sets I can locate.

I'm not sure that I ever had the correct heads as this arrived in a box of other lego, if I did I certainly don't have them easily accesible. So should I:

1) Take pictures with closely matching heads

2) Take pictures with blank heads so it's obviously not the right one

3) Just take pictures of the subsets which are 100% correct?

9 answers to this question

I don't know what the (other) admins think of it, but I think this set shouldn't be inventoried like this at all. I think this set (4428) should have a normal inventory with only the parts. And the submodels should be subsets from the main set. I think that's a lot more logical and usable (how would one ever get a list of parts for this set like this?) than the current situation.

Do you have an example of a set which works the way you are suggesting?

I've just checked another random advent calender (the 2013 Friends one) and it is setup in the same way. So it may be something unique to advent calendars.

Well, more recent advent calendars like 41131 have a 'normal' parts inventory, but they don't have the sub-sets separation. I never realized the older advent calenders were inventoried in such a (in my opinion weird) way.

But I'd like to hear the opinion of some of the admins to see what they think about it :)
@thea maybe?

A former admin was able to do the programming that allowed the calendar sub-sets to be included in a single Master set.  That's why you'll see some of the CMFs and Advent calendars listed by that method.

Over the last year as Nathan was working on v3, we didn't want to try doing that for fear of causing more harm than good.  We hope that it will be do-able in v3, but for now, it's a low priority.

11 hours ago, slangivar said:

The top set in my set list page is the 2012 City advent calendar (http://rebrickable.com/sets/4428-1/) which means every time I open the page I get a lot of repeated set images.

I assume that just taking the (low res) pictures from Bricklink or similar would be frowned upon and Lego themselves don't seem to have sub set images any more so I thought I would take some pictures of the sub-sets I can locate.

I'm not sure that I ever had the correct heads as this arrived in a box of other lego, if I did I certainly don't have them easily accesible. So should I:

1) Take pictures with closely matching heads

2) Take pictures with blank heads so it's obviously not the right one

3) Just take pictures of the subsets which are 100% correct?

Rebrickable is not allowed to use pictures from BrickLink.  1) and 2) are not acceptable.  

3) should follow the guidelines for submitting photos.  This means that you need to be at Level 5 or higher to submit a photo.  If you post a single  sample image here in the forum, an admin will let you know if it will meet the standards, and how to provide additional images for use. 

I would prefer the best of both worlds. ie when opening a set you get a inventory of all subsets it contains, then below that a full inventory, if you want a subsets inventory just drill down by clicking on the subset to open it's view with it's inventory. Here minifigs should count as subsets.

On 2017-02-04 at 6:44 PM, biodreamer said:

I would prefer the best of both worlds. ie when opening a set you get a inventory of all subsets it contains, then below that a full inventory, if you want a subsets inventory just drill down by clicking on the subset to open it's view with it's inventory. Here minifigs should count as subsets.

You should put that in the suggestions forum.

2 hours ago, Vokhev said:

You should put that in the suggestions forum.

Actually it looks like the help has been opened up for voting also.  I don't know if this was done by Nathan or the Forum tech support people who are looking into the password reset problem.