AxeSlash

3rd party parts

Question

Is there a possibility to add 3rd-party (non-lego) parts into the database so that they can be used in MOCs?

It's becoming increasingly more common to use 3rd party tyres and SBricks (amongst other things), so it would be a good idea if these could be used in MOCs.

I think that custom parts would probably need to be approved by site admin first to ensure that people aren't adding unnecessary stuff and/or duplicating parts.

Obviously some of these parts (like the SBrick) are available from Bricklink, so that should factor into cost calculations. Anything that you can't get from one of the lego shops should probably cause a warning to appear next to the total cost of the parts for a given MOC saying something like 'this total cost does not include costs for the following 3rd party parts:" (and then a list).

3rd party part submissions from users should also specify where the parts are available to buy from, and an image (e.g. photo).

16 answers to this question

In my (personal) opinion, I don't think it would be a very good idea to include 3rd party parts.

Most importantly, it would be very difficult to draw a line and make clear what is allowed on Rebrickable and what isn't. I don't know how many custom parts there are (the only one I know of that is really in production and not just a 3d file, is the sBrick), but if there are a lot, it'll certainly create a bit of tension about why certain parts get allowed while others don't.

Rebrickable is a website about Lego. 3rd part parts aren't Lego, it's a bit out of the scope of Rebrickable.

But... That's just my 2 cents :)

This would be hard to implement and probably counter-productive for several reasons. 
- Lego purists might be pissed
- Lego's competitors do not keep evidence of part types as well as Lego does

- There are many of said competitors, with different part evidence systems (if any).

Nice idea! But there should be really a good guidance and approval by admins on that - otherwise rebrickable becomes "dirty" and maybe messed by advertise by using really non-LEGO-related parts, where the LEGo in the MOC is only used to surround the to-be-advertised product!

But I like the idea!

It would be nice but first all the current bricks must be brand Tagged LEGO. It kind of add a whole new level of complexity, ie you need to differentiate Different Brands in your collection but you might want to use bricks from multiple brands if you fall short in one brand. ie new brands bricks needed to be treated as molds. Then you have the colors, each brand has their own mix, should they co-work or be separated. and if rebrickable choose to go this path I rather see them allowing 3D-printed parts that require that the model is uploaded for anyone to print them. 

I am holding my vote for this one until more important feature is implemented.

I think that it is a good idea, but with popular brands and good-quality parts. Otherwise, the inventory is clogged with useless parts and nobody would use them. Plus, the part colors would be confusing.

That's my opinion:D

I also like this idea, but where to draw the line is definitely a problem. Maybe limit it to things with a fair amount of support or perceived usefulness.

There would probably also need to be good ways to filter that kind of stuff back out for people who do not want to mess with those creations.

6 hours ago, zurno said:

I also like this idea, but where to draw the line is definitely a problem. Maybe limit it to things with a fair amount of support or perceived usefulness.

There would probably also need to be good ways to filter that kind of stuff back out for people who do not want to mess with those creations.

In that case shouldn't we first be able to filter out MOCS that use parts in colors that does not exist.....as far as the system knows.

35 minutes ago, biodreamer said:

In that case shouldn't we first be able to filter out MOCS that use parts in colors that does not exist.....as far as the system knows.

Maybe make a separate suggestion for that.  Seems to make sense.

On 2/7/2017 at 4:49 AM, biodreamer said:

The issue there is, that parts existing in a colour is based 99% on it being released in a set. There are some BrickLink sellers out there that seem to be able to get their hands on parts that are in colours that "don't exist," but yet, these sellers do have them. I live in hope of getting original trans-green Bar 4Ls or other parts that could be cut down to make trans-green Bar 4Ls, because some collectors have shown off pictures of such parts.

With the new part photo system, simply supply a photo of the part in the color and the admin can verify its existence. so either have a set or a photo should make it valid.

However cutting pieces would however invalidate the entry. Custom parts are not valid. this is what make chromed parts tricky.

15 hours ago, biodreamer said:

With the new part photo system, simply supply a photo of the part in the color and the admin can verify its existence. so either have a set or a photo should make it valid.

However cutting pieces would however invalidate the entry. Custom parts are not valid. this is what make chromed parts tricky.

I understand that, there are a few parts out there that are clearly custom modified parts, but at the same time, I have the trapezoid flag piece in LBG (bought the last of them one of those wonderful rare parts sellers BrickLink sellers had), when I was looking for them, several people who are knowledgeable about rare TLG made parts not available in sets confirmed that the part was made in LBG. The issue is how to confirm which is which, especially when the element was made & due to the rarity of the official part other modify parts to get the custom part. The reality is, I think you'll find that there are people already listing modified parts in their collections, if I got some of the lances or halberds in trans-green (I have had visual confirmation these exist, TLG originals) & cut them down to get Bar 4Ls, I would be listing the end result as Bar 4L, of course I wouldn't be selling the end result (if I were to, I would be informing the buyer as to it's origin), but if my children inheriting my collection one day may make the error of assuming it was always a Bar 4L. Custom vs TLG special rare parts, it's a big gray area & a big can of worms.

Edited by VorpalRyu

Greetings, all.

Let me be as clear as possible: I am totally against adding non-LEGO parts to Rebrickable.

Both  @legolijntjeand @Xfingalready stated good arguments against it, and even those in favour of it have noticed the complexities and risks involved, but I wish to make the case for newbies and occasional users.

With all due respect, Rebrickable is not just for MOC designers. To be sure, when Nathan invented Rebrickable, his primary goal was this:

"Rebrickable will show you which LEGO sets you can build from the sets and parts you already own." (Note the LEGO)

And in "Who am I", Nathan states "After buying some large Technic sets, I figured it must be possible to build some of the smaller ones with the thousands of LEGO parts I had.". (Again, LEGO)

Currently, Rebrickable has 120,865 registered users. There are 6,236 MOCs present, so at best, there are 6,268 MOC designers registered (probably a whole lot less, as some designers created dozens of  MOCs). In any case, there are, at least, 114.629 registered users who are NOT MOC designers. These people, the overwhelming 95% majority, don't care about SBricks and Chrome wheels. Even rare TLG made parts don't interest them. They want to do want Nathan wanted six years ago: to find out what they can build. Or what parts they need to buy to upgrade from one set to another. Or what other sets become available if they add a basic brick set. Or, don't understimate this one, if you just bought a box of unsorted second-hand bricks, to find out which sets might be hidden in there. And for all those tens of thousands of users, and I am most cetainly one of them, adding all that complexity of different brands, part-numbers, colors, and materials; and all the associated risks of bad quality, non-fitting parts and vendors that go broke and disappear; all of that is a complete waste of time and energy.

So if you do want to add an SBrick to your MOC, then please, build a look-a-like using basic LEGO bricks (identical dimensions in a contrasting color), and add a simple comment to the description:

"The pink SBrick look-a-like should be replaced with an SBrick Plus¨.

Problem solved.

Take care,
Simon

Edited by Simon
typo

On 20/03/2017 at 6:24 AM, biodreamer said:

There are a number of parts which do exist and have been in sets but rebrickable doesn't currently record the usage of different set parts. For instance the modern manufacturing of the classic erling brick (https://rebrickable.com/parts/4070/) has a slot below the front stud (https://rebrickable.com/parts/4070a/) but the earlier version is used in nearly all sets (except some new 2017 sets).

This means that we probably all have a bundle of 4070a bricks in our collections which rebrickable doesn't currently think are valid.

5 hours ago, slangivar said:

There are a number of parts which do exist and have been in sets but rebrickable doesn't currently record the usage of different set parts. For instance the modern manufacturing of the classic erling brick (https://rebrickable.com/parts/4070/) has a slot below the front stud (https://rebrickable.com/parts/4070a/) but the earlier version is used in nearly all sets (except some new 2017 sets).

This means that we probably all have a bundle of 4070a bricks in our collections which rebrickable doesn't currently think are valid.

I have plenty of incorrectly marked molded parts in my collection mostly due to reason like the above. parts that can't be used in builds is worthless so they are marked in the most common mold instead.