Vokhev

B model vs Alternative build

Question

Am I right in thinking that B models should come up as alternative builds of a set, not as full fledged sets in searches?

If so, I'll submit a bunch of corrections. I don't want to send them if they are not necessary.

18 answers to this question

3 hours ago, Vokhev said:

Ok, that's pretty much how I viewed this. But my question is the same as Biodreamer's. What do we do with those "ideas"? Personally, I could live with them being MOCs, especially the bigger ones that might require that the builder deduce parts of the build bit it's true that they're technically not MOCs.

In v2 the options for idea-based models were either MOCs or b model.  We want to get the submissions based on just a LEGO image/idea out of the MOC and b categories.  The first step is there with the custom inventories.  The goal is to have a process for "Related Sets" that gives credit to LEGO for the idea and also credit to the person who did the work creating the instructions and inventory.  These are the additional features/programming I referred to before.  But there are other pressing issues(such as being able to log in and reducing the number of time outs) that need attention right now.

Since Nathan is the one who approves MOCs, he will decide if a submission is a true MOC or needs to be a Custom List.

Also, some discussion has led to the decision to label all official secondary models as b models.  The first submitted will be b1,  followed by b2, b3, b4, etc.  I will be editing my previous comment (in another topic) about c and d models to reflect this.

so how will v3 handle the "ideas" because they are clearly not MOC's and can't really be credit the instruction author in the same way as regular "own" moc where the design is also by the author.

I think the best way is to add the same filter as you have when you choose to "build" ie decide if you want subsets and b-models in the search or not. Not decide for everyone how to treat them.

I'm not trying to decide, I'm trying to know. That's why I ask. I just want to know how things are supposed to be so I can submit changes when they're not right. Here's what lead me to this question:

On set 6826, you can see an alternate build:

http://rebrickable.com/sets/6826-1/crater-crawler/#alt_builds

That build doesn't come up in set searches.

Yet, there are many alternate builds that are not here but come up in set searches:

http://rebrickable.com/sets/6826-1-b4/high-speed-mini-rover/
http://rebrickable.com/sets/6826-1-b1/personal-gyro-transporter/
http://rebrickable.com/sets/6826-1-b2/robotic-personnel-transport/

http://rebrickable.com/sets/6826-1-b3/scientific-moon-crawler/

I had never noticed the alternate build feature on V2 and I find it really neat to quickly find what can be built with one set. So I was wondering if these other builds weren't supposed to be entered that way in the system.

if official images counts on boxes and instruction, as instruction yes.

but your first link looks to be wrong all b models is named in a specific way and that set isn't.

To me, a picture on a box is not the same as instructions but like I said, all I want is the position of the admins so I can know where to submit changes.

So will there be an official position on how those features should be used. If so, I'll submit some changes to match.

I could just check the ignore checkbox on the alternative builds that keep popping up in my classic space searches and that would solve my problem but I'd much rather help get the site's data better as a whole, not just for me.

On February 10, 2017 at 0:38 PM, Vokhev said:

I just saw that Thea wrote " If official instructions are not available, it should be submitted as an MOC. "

Is that my answer?

Official instructions are those that came with the set(or are available for download from lego.com)  that show steps for building a second or third model.  If the box shows these steps, it would be a b model.  If it's just a very detailed picture of the final build, it's simply an idea, and not a b model.  

6 hours ago, thea said:

Official instructions are those that came with the set(or are available for download from lego.com)  that show steps for building a second or third model.  If the box shows these steps, it would be a b model.  If it's just a very detailed picture of the final build, it's simply an idea, and not a b model.  

in that case we have b-models that are ideas already in the rebrickable database. not every b-model submitted so far has had a instruction, but they have always had at least a picture and only used parts from the set.

31 minutes ago, biodreamer said:

in that case we have b-models that are ideas already in the rebrickable database. not every b-model submitted so far has had a instruction, but they have always had at least a picture and only used parts from the set.

Can you give an example of a b model without instruction?

With the use of custom lists available for public view in v3, there have been changes in what will be accepted as b models.  

They have pictures on box or instruction but does not exist as offical printed instructions

As with many other things, the way b models were done in v2 is changing in v3.    Going back and reviewing v2 b models is a project that has a low priority.  There needs to be some additional features/programming put in place to get these older models where they need to be. 

The guidelines I posted are for current submissions.  Current b model submissions must have instructions available online from lego.com or included with the LEGO set.  

b models can have sub-sets.  Example of how they would be submitted.

I'm currently working on another set that has 2 b models, each with 2 sub-sets, and the main model also has 2 sub-sets.  All of these models are in 1 instruction book that came with the set, and the instruction book is also available at lego.com.  Once these are all verified and approved, I'll post the set number here as another example.

Ok, that's pretty much how I viewed this. But my question is the same as Biodreamer's. What do we do with those "ideas"? Personally, I could live with them being MOCs, especially the bigger ones that might require that the builder deduce parts of the build bit it's true that they're technically not MOCs.

Cool. Just tell us when you guys are ready to start processing those "ideas" to their rightful place and I'll start submitting :)

Hi,

I am just reading this topic since currently I want to start building and perhaps submitting instructions of "official" idea sets, i.e. those on back of boxes or instructions. So until we get the "Related Sets" feature what is the right way to submit such an "idea set"? Also how can it be linked to an official "parent" set? I suppose that perhaps we can achieve this today with MOCs and "Alternative Builds" section. If that's the preferred way will there be any way how to migrate these ides MOCs to "Related Sets" once that feature is available?