Kalais

Part list - filter option - idea for bandwidth save and much better usability

Hi,

when you are at parts list and looking for 1 category (in example on image below it is "bricks") and you want go to other category you need:

1. Click Remove filter (numer 1 on image below)

2. Wait for all parts load

3. Click on the new category

4. Wait for your new category loads

I think it would be much better/faster/easier if all categories names stay in the list (number 2 on image below). So you could navigate straight to another category without wasting time for loading all parts, without unnecessary clicks and save some server bandwidth.

Same thing applies to Color choose. When you choose one, others disappear and you can't navigate to them in straight way. You need again load everything by "Remove filter" option... wait for everything load then you can choose another color...

6iFfuqp.jpg

If I get your right you want to modify/edit and existing filter and set it to a new value without going to long way around by removing and adding the new one.

Personally I would prefer a drop down for that kind of action rather then keeping everything expanded. I would like to have more filters not just these large ones.

I can't express how much I agree with the idea of not passing through the "load all" screen. It is certainly the most demanding one on the system and you virtually never want to see it.

@biodreamer, my personal favorite would be checkboxes next to each category/color so you could filter on more than one at a time but that probably requires a lot more changes and would probably be more demanding on the system.

Assuming that only the current two filters are kept and with only one value at a time each, the ideal interface would allow to switch both with only one reload. Dropdowns with a submit button could do that.

For example, I want to go from Red sloped bricks to blue bars.

Right now, I need 4 reloads:

1. Remove red
  2. Add blue
  3. Remove slopes
  4. Add bars

With @Kalais's suggestion, or auto-reloading dropdowns, I need 2:

1. Change red to blue
  2. Change slopes to bars

Thant's already massively better but with dropdowns and a submit button, you only need one. You switch both lists and press submit. One load with a very small number of results as opposed to the current 4 which mostly contain larger number of results each.

In addition, I would like a "remove category/color" option. Not only the select category/option. Browsing through my black parts takes forever. I would like to filter out certain categories.

Thanks a lot @Nathan, that's pretty close to the perfect solution on this topic. I only found one issue.

I've been experimenting with the new filters. They are really powerful and versatile.

The first time, it works marvellously; however, it's not very friendly when you want to modify a search.

For example, I want all my brownish parts so I click None on color then I check Brown and Reddish Brown and search. Oups! I forgot to include Dark Brown! I can't add it because the unchecked checkboxes are no longer displayed. I have to clear the color filter and redo the selection which could be very annoying for more complex searches. It also adds a page load and a heavy one at that because an entire filter is removed and there will be a lot of results.

If the unchecked checkboxes could remain (though they could be collapsed by default), that would make fine tuning a search much more fluid.

It would also cover all my above example in one single page load.

A "Clear all filters" link would also be useful and decrease the number of page loads.

At first I tried showing all the available options, but the lists were far too long. And for filters like tags it's just impossible. If you have a suggestion for dealing with that I'm listening :)

I can add a clear all link.

On 1/19/2018 at 4:38 AM, Nathan said:

At first I tried showing all the available options, but the lists were far too long. And for filters like tags it's just impossible. If you have a suggestion for dealing with that I'm listening :)

I can add a clear all link.

Well you currently do display all the options I'm talking about the first time the page loads, at least for categories and colours (I haven't checked the tags, I mostly searched for parts). The query for the checkboxes displayed would just have to not be affected by the criteria in the checkboxes. So the checkbox list would basically use the same query it now uses the first time since the criteria are not entered yet.

On 1/23/2018 at 7:57 AM, Vokhev said:

Well you currently do display all the options I'm talking about the first time the page loads, at least for categories and colours (I haven't checked the tags, I mostly searched for parts). The query for the checkboxes displayed would just have to not be affected by the criteria in the checkboxes. So the checkbox list would basically use the same query it now uses the first time since the criteria are not entered yet.

I have made some further enhancements. Some filters now show a Full/Filtered toggle to show the unchecked boxes, but some I can't do without causing too much performance overhead. Hopefully, it makes things easier.

That's really much better! I only tested in "all my bricks" but that's pretty much exactly what I meant.

The only behaviour I find a bit strange is that the options without result get unchecked.

For example, I check only "Bricks Special" in Black and Bright Light Blue and apply filters. Bright light blue gets unchecked because I don't have any "Bricks Special" in that colour. I find it a bit strange that the results affect the filter.

I don't know if that's intended.

On 1/30/2018 at 1:16 AM, Vokhev said:

That's really much better! I only tested in "all my bricks" but that's pretty much exactly what I meant.

The only behaviour I find a bit strange is that the options without result get unchecked.

For example, I check only "Bricks Special" in Black and Bright Light Blue and apply filters. Bright light blue gets unchecked because I don't have any "Bricks Special" in that colour. I find it a bit strange that the results affect the filter.

I don't know if that's intended.

I've updated it again, hows it look now?

7 hours ago, Nathan said:

I've updated it again, hows it look now?

You, sir, are giving one heck of a service! That's exactly what I was meaning. I almost feel bad mentioning my issues seeing the work you obviously put into my comments. Anyway, this is getting to be a really sweet search engine.

By the way, at first, I didn't like that clicking on the name instead of the checkbox would uncheck all the others in the same category but I've realized that it's another way of doing things even faster. Good idea.

7 hours ago, Vokhev said:

You, sir, are giving one heck of a service! That's exactly what I was meaning. I almost feel bad mentioning my issues seeing the work you obviously put into my comments. Anyway, this is getting to be a really sweet search engine.

By the way, at first, I didn't like that clicking on the name instead of the checkbox would uncheck all the others in the same category but I've realized that it's another way of doing things even faster. Good idea.

Great. Am always happy to improve usability if I can.