Vokhev

Photo reviewing process

Question

I started taking pictures of the parts I have that don't have a picture on Rebrickable and have uploaded some of them. I don't see these in my change requests but if I go to the part itself, I can see that I submitted a picture. I have two questions:

1) Is there a place where I can see all my pending submitted pictures?

2) How long should I expect it to take before my pictures are reviewed and approved or rejected?

I intend to do a lot of them but I want to be sure I'm doing it right before I go through my whole collection.

22 answers to this question

7 hours ago, Vokhev said:

I started taking pictures of the parts I have that don't have a picture on Rebrickable and have uploaded some of them. I don't see these in my change requests but if I go to the part itself, I can see that I submitted a picture. I have two questions:

1) Is there a place where I can see all my pending submitted pictures?

2) How long should I expect it to take before my pictures are reviewed and approved or rejected?

I intend to do a lot of them but I want to be sure I'm doing it right before I go through my whole collection.

TobyMac does most of the Photo approvals and usually does them within a day or two .  If you check the Change Log (Drop Down menu under Other), there are quite a few from today that were probably yours.  You also might notice a change in the number of points to your next level, or even a new level.:)

3010a is used through the end of the 70, the whole 80's and the first years into the 90's that can some what easily be tracked by the printed bricks. so All fabuland sets should use 3010a.

The pictures I have submitted was appearing after about a day. any approval step is silent you won't notice it if it exist.

Edited by biodreamer

I accidentally sent a picture for the wrong color. I sent it again for the right one but is there a way for me to cancel the first submission. No point in the admins sorting through my mistakes if I've already spotted them.

3 hours ago, Vokhev said:

I accidentally sent a picture for the wrong color. I sent it again for the right one but is there a way for me to cancel the first submission. No point in the admins sorting through my mistakes if I've already spotted them.

Thanks for thinking of our workload!  :wub:Once the picture is submitted, you can't cancel it.  The pictures end up together on the set or part page, so it's not a big deal for us to look at both and pick the right one.  

Are there any instructions on how to take a good photo of a part? It seems that I could contribute with pictures from the Fabuland parts I own, so I am thinking about the best way to take the photos...

On 9/10/2017 at 8:35 PM, HerbertHavu said:

Are there any instructions on how to take a good photo of a part? It seems that I could contribute with pictures from the Fabuland parts I own, so I am thinking about the best way to take the photos...

@HerbertHavu Do you have your Fabuland sets kept separate? or are they mixed in with other LEGO?

The reason I ask is that I suspect a lot of the fabuland sets (and maybe others from the 80's) have the single stud wide bricks listed incorrectly. For instance instead of the standard 1x4 (3010) they actually contained 3010a which has the lowered cross support https://rebrickable.com/parts/3010a/brick-1-x-4-with-bottom-tubes-with-1-lowered-cross-support/.

My mum has a box of LEGO from when we were growing up and most of the 1x4, 1x6 and 1x8 bricks have lowered cross supports but as it has all been mixed together for around 30 years it's not a reliable source for any single model.

On 10-9-2017 at 9:35 PM, HerbertHavu said:

There are some basic guidelines in the screen where you upload the photos.

• White background
  • Single part per photo
  • Correct coloring (in case of a mistake we are able to change the color, just send a change request)
  • Part is in focus
  • Minimal shadow
  • Minimum 500 x 500px
  • Consistent orientation for all colors

On 9/11/2017 at 0:05 AM, Simon said:

I asked the very same question... -smile-

Thanks. Just submitted my first (scanned) photo, let's see how it works. -smile-

IMG_0002.jpg

Next I need to see how to take pictures with a camera to be able to get better angles and be able to process bigger parts as well.

Edited by HerbertHavu

On 9/13/2017 at 3:11 PM, slangivar said:

@HerbertHavu Do you have your Fabuland sets kept separate? or are they mixed in with other LEGO?

Everything is mixed. It is interesting to see how many different variants of the basic bricks there are over the past 50 years (my oldest sets are from when my mother was a child).

2 hours ago, HerbertHavu said:

Thanks. Just submitted my first (scanned) photo, let's see how it works. -smile-

Next I need to see how to take pictures with a camera to be able to get better angles and be able to process bigger parts as well.

I've approved your photo. Looks good!

6 hours ago, HerbertHavu said:

Everything is mixed. It is interesting to see how many different variants of the basic bricks there are over the past 50 years (my oldest sets are from when my mother was a child).

We've got a number of those early bricks too. All in red or white and made from cellulose acetate rather than ABS. They are mostly warped now though so don't site quite straight when you build a wall.

On 9/15/2017 at 6:43 PM, slangivar said:

All in red or white and made from cellulose acetate rather than ABS. They are mostly warped now though so don't site quite straight when you build a wall.

I noticed this problem, but did not figure out that it was due to the material. I guess there is no value in keeping these parts for any purposes..

On 9/15/2017 at 2:50 PM, TobyMac said:

I've approved your photo. Looks good!

The scanner seems to work fine for small parts, but Fabuland figures are already too big. The problem is not the size, but the moving head, as the scanner lid turns it into a wrong position all the time (and the background is not white at all as the lid is so far away). So next I need to build a setup to take real photos of these with a nice white background.

I assume that photos are relevant only for parts where not other pictures are available?

3 hours ago, HerbertHavu said:

I assume that photos are relevant only for parts where not other pictures are available?

They can.also be usefull in other cases. For instance there are a couple of printed panels where the ldraw image shows the backside and the print is not visible. Or double sided heads. And sometimes a photo from a different angle (or angel?) can show specific sections of a part, like the bottom of the 3010a

for scanners just put a box around the part and the result should be as fine as if you had closed the scanner.

On 18/09/2017 at 8:51 AM, HerbertHavu said:

I noticed this problem, but did not figure out that it was due to the material. I guess there is no value in keeping these parts for any purposes..

That depends on what you are keeping them for. I saw a picture of a MOC house made entirely from these warped bricks and it had a certain charm, although google isn't leading me back to it just now. They are like any LEGO brick, provided you can find the right place in the right model for them they will look awesome.

Alternatively you might find that you can find a buyer for them on ebay, especially if you have enough for a complete set.

1 hour ago, slangivar said:

I saw a picture of a MOC house made entirely from these warped bricks and it had a certain charm, although google isn't leading me back to it just now.

Is this the picture you were looking for?

https://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?/forums/topic/82510-dont-throw-away-your-old-warped-cellulose-acetate-lego/

Unfortunately I do not have too many of these bricks and I think the only way such a construction would hold is to clue the parts together... I need to think about this.

2 hours ago, HerbertHavu said:

Is this the picture you were looking for?

https://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?/forums/topic/82510-dont-throw-away-your-old-warped-cellulose-acetate-lego/

Unfortunately I do not have too many of these bricks and I think the only way such a construction would hold is to clue the parts together... I need to think about this.

Yes, I think that's it. A steady hand, gravity and a stable display space would work.