acegikmo31

Bionicle Reboot Makuta

6 posts in this topic

I wanted to know if anyone had objections to submitting a complete inventory of the Gen 2 Makuta that was never released.

I spent about 8 hours a few months ago carefully analyzing all of the official images created of the unreleased Bionicle Gen 2 Makuta. I am 100% confident I managed to recreate the set exactly as it was designed. The only discrepancies is an unavoidable redesign of the shoulder pauldron framework (they used a handful of parts excessive to what was contained in the required sets) and a 3d printed version of the custom mask. 

If I were to submit this inventory, should it be labeled as a MOC, or have an official combiner set listing, similar to bionicle/roborider/slizer combiners?

50 minutes ago, acegikmo31 said:

I wanted to know if anyone had objections to submitting a complete inventory of the Gen 2 Makuta that was never released.

I spent about 8 hours a few months ago carefully analyzing all of the official images created of the unreleased Bionicle Gen 2 Makuta. I am 100% confident I managed to recreate the set exactly as it was designed. The only discrepancies is an unavoidable redesign of the shoulder pauldron framework (they used a handful of parts excessive to what was contained in the required sets) and a 3d printed version of the custom mask. 

If I were to submit this inventory, should it be labeled as a MOC, or have an official combiner set listing, similar to bionicle/roborider/slizer combiners?

First off--Welcome to the Forums! :)

I'm not a Bionicle fan, so I'm not familiar with this.  Can you provide a few links to the images and information so I can verify it?

Thea-Inventory Admin 

14 hours ago, thea said:

First off--Welcome to the Forums! :)

I'm not a Bionicle fan, so I'm not familiar with this.  Can you provide a few links to the images and information so I can verify it?

Thea-Inventory Admin 

Makuta is essentially the main villain of either bionicle generation. He had an official set for his first incarnation, but never for the 2015/2016 reboot. This link is a general story about him, with the first image as his depiction in the Netflix series.
http://biosector01.com/wiki/index.php/Makuta_(Generation_2)

In October of 2016, the design team for bionicle released this promo video of an official contest to have fans design their own Makuta
https://www.facebook.com/LEGORebrick/videos/735080816630457/

Later, this series of images was released as a general guide to recreate the set(although the mask was never released). And stated the build contained parts exclusively from 70790, 70795, 71303, 71308, 71309, 71310 and 71316.
https:[email protected]/sets/72157670900951320

I've also attached 2 images of the replica ive made, you might be able to see the ball-joint change in the unfinished shoulder assembly (I believed the original required 1 black axle ball too many). The mask was obtained from a fan who accurately recreated the piece and sold it through Shapeways.

20161012_222854.jpg

20161014_205355.jpg

Without official instructions from LEGO that I could use to verify parts, like there were with Technic-40 years, I'm going to say it's an MOC.  You might want to make a note in your MOC description that it was inspired by...... and give a link to the photos that were released.

I am 100% certain I replicated it exactly. No bit of framework was guessed, and even the slightest hint of a specific part or colour was not ignored until correctly chosen. There were additionally a handful of youtube channels who attempted their own recreation (albeit with several blatantly wrong assumptions) who managed to get a personal look at aspects of the original (such as the trailing gold coat tails) and showed exactly how it was designed.

My own copy I am completely sure is correct, when referenced to the original, and other fan attempts, it always is identical. But if there is nothing else that can be proven, I suppose ill begin on a MOC inventory. Perhaps I could do 2 listings for the modified shoulder joints.

I had a similar question about Krahka, a 2004 bionicle combination that shared a similar fate, only a handful of breakdown images in an official book. But if suppose ill just have an excuse to begin uploading MOCs and strange sets that were never widespread like Agil.