SimLego

What happens to old part numbers?

What happens to old part numbers when a part number has been corrected?

Let's say I saved a  part, let's call it #33333, in a CSV file. Then it's suggested and approved that it should actually be #33334. So the new Rebrickable number is set to 33334. Now, if I import my old CSV file, how will Rebrickable treat the incoming reference to part #33333?

3 hours ago, SimLego said:

What happens to old part numbers when a part number has been corrected?

Let's say I saved a  part, let's call it #33333, in a CSV file. Then it's suggested and approved that it should actually be #33334. So the new Rebrickable number is set to 33334. Now, if I import my old CSV file, how will Rebrickable treat the incoming reference to part #33333?

Depending on the reason for the change, it is usually handled by mapping the element id to the correct number.  If mapping isn't enough, there's a process called normalizing that is applied to the two parts.  It allows the system to recognize that the old number being imported should be processed as the new number.

If you receive an error on import, please let us know here in the Forum. 

14 minutes ago, SimLego said:

Thank you, thea. Where shall I report erratic "It looks like this Part has been superseded by..." links?

Those superseded notes are just an advisory that the part has been 'retired', and most likely will not be found in newer sets.  You can still add the 'retired' part to your lists of loose parts.  

If you think the Note is an actual error, let us know here with a link((Use the linked chains to the left of the " above) to the part number.  for example  4215a

So, if an LDraw part number is being corrected, will that part be correctly mapped imported from a CSV file using that LDraw part number?

For example: 32c Door Left Slotted is currently mapped as 32c both to BrickLink (correct) and Ldraw (incorrect).
If the LDraw link is corrected to u8012, will it be re-mapped and stored as 32c in Rebrickable?

u8012,4,1 -> 32c,4,1

4 hours ago, SimLego said:

So, if an LDraw part number is being corrected, will that part be correctly mapped imported from a CSV file using that LDraw part number?

For example: 32c Door Left Slotted is currently mapped as 32c both to BrickLink (correct) and Ldraw (incorrect).
If the LDraw link is corrected to u8012, will it be re-mapped and stored as 32c in Rebrickable?

u8012,4,1 -> 32c,4,1

I've changed the mapping for the LDraw to u8012.  Please let me know if the image shows the part(disregarding color) correctly now.   I think the color may be the reason it was mapped to 32c. 

This will convert u8012 to 32c on importing from a LDraw file.  However, if you then export the list as a Rebrickable.csv file, it will export as 32c.  There isn't an option for LDraw export at the present time.

3 hours ago, thea said:

[...] There isn't an option for LDraw export at the present time.

There is sort of. The 'Export as LDCad Parts Bin' option creates a parts list file for the LDraw editor called LDcad.

13 minutes ago, legolijntje said:

There is sort of. The 'Export as LDCad Parts Bin' option creates a parts list file for the LDraw editor called LDcad.

Thanks to our LDraw 'go to' member.:wub:  I know so little about the program:huh: that I need answers like this all the time.:)

56 minutes ago, legolijntje said:

LDview also has a Create Part List option.

3 minutes ago, SimLego said:

LDview also has a Create Part List option.

But I was talking about from Rebrickable -> LDraw. Not the other way around (you can also directly import an LDraw file into Rebrickable) if that's what you meant ;)

4 hours ago, thea said:

I've changed the mapping for the LDraw to u8012.  Please let me know if the image shows the part(disregarding color) correctly now.   I think the color may be the reason it was mapped to 32c. 

This will convert u8012 to 32c on importing from a LDraw file.  However, if you then export the list as a Rebrickable.csv file, it will export as 32c.  There isn't an option for LDraw export at the present time.

Great! Both the 32c and 604c are updated the way I thought. With LDraw, you make LEGO models or just portrait single LEGO parts, but there is no use for exporting a parts list to LDraw as far as I understand. How would it be presented? As a big pile maybe?

Actually I don't see any import function for the LDraw parts either. I was thinking that if the BrickLink CSV contains an LDraw part number, the converter would automatically look for a match among the LDraw list, too. But I Iguess that would make little sense except for me in my personal use. So I'll try to solve that issue myself. :)

7 minutes ago, legolijntje said:

But I was talking about from Rebrickable -> LDraw. Not the other way around (you can also directly import an LDraw file into Rebrickable) if that's what you meant ;)

How can I import an LDraw file into Rebrickable? I don't find that option.

40 minutes ago, SimLego said:

How can I import an LDraw file into Rebrickable? I don't find that option.

Well, if you want it as a 'custom list' go to your custom lists, create a new one (unless you want to add the parts of an LDraw file to an existing list of course, then select the existing list). Then press 'Import/Delete Parts' and select an LDraw file to import. Then press either Append or Replace Parts and it should work. Unknown LDraw parts will be listed afterwards.

Same goes for importing an LDraw file in any other place where you can import parts; your parts list, a moc etc.

55 minutes ago, legolijntje said:

Well, if you want it as a 'custom list' go to your custom lists, create a new one (unless you want to add the parts of an LDraw file to an existing list of course, then select the existing list). Then press 'Import/Delete Parts' and select an LDraw file to import. Then press either Append or Replace Parts and it should work. Unknown LDraw parts will be listed afterwards.

Same goes for importing an LDraw file in any other place where you can import parts; your parts list, a moc etc.

Wow! I'm getting more and more impressed. The reason I didn't find the LDraw import option was because I looked for it in the External Source dropdown menu. Didn't read the info at the top of the popup window. :)