thea

DUPLO (at last)

Duplo got put to the side because of launching v3. Thanks to all who have been waiting so patiently. :mellow:  

During August I'm going to be devoting much of my rebrickable time to Duplo.  The first part of the project is concentrating on adding or correcting recent/currently available Sets (anything after 2011 when peeron stopped adding sets).  

I will work on sets that have been mentioned in the Forum first, but I would ask that everyone please wait for about a week before making change requests or set/part submissions for these or any other Duplo sets.  There are a lot of sets that I'll be adding/correcting through downloads from lego.com during the next week.  Sometimes the corrections need time to process through the cache (or my brain ...;)).

From time to time this month I will need the number that is actually molded on a DUPLO part. Any help will be greatly appreciated.  Here's the first one.

25384 or any of the other 'pick-up-element-4x8'  There are 5 known prints of this pick-up truck body, each with its own design ID.  They all need to be mapped as a print to the molded part number.

A quick update-  I'm currently in the path of Hurricane Harvey.  We are supposed to be under heavy rains for the next 4-5 days.  My internet connection comes and goes, so I've just been adding Duplo sets directly from the download now while I can.  I'll make corrections/additions whenever I can. Please hold any change requests or Forum posts about missing Duplo parts. 

October update- I'm still working on Duplo sets released from 2010 to now in-between other Admin duties.  If you have any Duplo change requests you'd like to submit for 2010 -present, please include  'For Thea-Duplo'  in the text.  This will help with the other Admins' workload.

If you own a Duplo part and can provide your own photo of it, I will add it if you can provide a reference number to verify it.  It will be for loose part list inventory only.  We are not adding old Duplo sets at this time unless someone can provide a photo inventory of their own complete set.

It is just way too difficult to research the old sets, and most of the inventories are already available at peeron.com or BrickLink.

Hi Thea,

You've probably seen my multiple Duplo updates in the last couple of weeks. 

Just got a few questions that you might be able to shed light on since you seem to be the authority on Duplo here!

Part numbers are all over the place. Most are using Lego's element/design ID's.

Minifigs are especially a total mess. Whats the best approach to help solve this? Some minifigs have been grouped together by their hairstyle and separated by the color of their shirt, even though their prints are so drastically different sometimes minifigs of different ethnicity are grouped. This makes it incredibly difficult to actually find a figure as when you search you get one picture and wont know if your fig is in that grouping. Each different print should really have its own entry like other lego/duplo parts. I'd suggest we adopt BrickLinks numbering method for separating the different prints.

For example minifig "75121 Duplo Woman [Pageboy Haircut]" has multiple different "colors" under it, which should be different prints.

The other issue is the wrong number being used to identify them. For example minifig "47511pr0001: Duplo Figure Child with Lime Cap - White Shirt under Blue Coveralls with worms in Pocket - Light Flesh Face and Hands - Blue Legs - White" is listed as a print of "47511" This is the Lego Design number but the actual part number (on the legs of the figure) is 47205 (as is all child Duplo minifigs made after 2004). It should be listed as a print of that number.

I dont mind gradually working my way through (I find it kinda therapeutic) I just wanted to be more clear on how the site actual wants these things to be listed. I didnt want to waste anyones time.

Thanks

Edited by jaredhinton

my son have a big container full of Duplo parts, from early 90´s to 2015, including several minifigs, most of them I already forgot which sets they belong. 
I can take photos, but what is the best way to make them useful for the database?

Diniz,

If the parts are already in our database, you can use the Submit Part Photo on the left side of the screen. The dialog allows you to upload a photo, and select the color of the part. It also has some guidelines for good photos. The same guidelines are show here.

If we don't have the parts in our database, you can use Parts > Submit a Part in the main menu. To do that, you'll have to figure out the part number, and provide some kind of description.

Take care,
Simon

It's incredibly difficult to actually find the minifigs you want. BL is a great resource for finding them but then translating that to find one in our database isn't easy. There's approximately 500 different duplo minifigs between 1983 to present (they are the new type with legs and arms) with a further 40-50 of the old style ones (no legs or arms) pre-1983. With a few more mid 90's type like the pre-1983 type but with "fatter" bases.

That's why I suggest we separate the figures by print. When thea gets some time I'm hoping she can offer some guidance, then I will endeavor to "clean" it up.

2 hours ago, jaredhinton said:

t's incredibly difficult to actually find the minifigs you want. BL is a great resource for finding them but then translating that to find one in our database isn't easy.

Jared,

I don't know much about parts, but this might help:

if you go to the Bricklink Download section
https://www.bricklink.com/catalogDownload.asp?utm_content=subnav
and you select Catalog Items: Parts, and then in the middle column Part and Color codes
with download format Tab-Delimited File

you get a codes.txt (1.2 MB) that contains all BL part-numbers together with the LEGO element-ids that we and Brickset use to identify our parts. So if you know the BL part number, just search in this file to get the element id, and if we have that part, you should be able to find it.

Hope this helps,
Simon

Edited by Simon
updated