HerbertHavu

Duplo part numbering

I have some DUPLO baby animals, which have printed codes in their feet. I assume that these are element or design id's, but the format is different from what I have seen previously. 

Baby giraffe 147j2
Baby lion 546j2
Baby elephant 248j2
Baby polar bear 545j2

These are most likely from set 4962-2 Baby Zoo (re-release 2014).

Anyone know what these codes are?

I had the same question. From what I could find they are assembly-codes/batchnumbers. Every assembly seems to have them, like Duplo figures, Linear actuators and Technic motors. I assume it serves to keep track of batches in case there is an problem somewhere.

7 hours ago, HerbertHavu said:

I have some DUPLO baby animals, which have printed codes in their feet. I assume that these are element or design id's, but the format is different from what I have seen previously. 

Baby giraffe 147j2
Baby lion 546j2
Baby elephant 248j2
Baby polar bear 545j2

These are most likely from set 4962-2 Baby Zoo (re-release 2014).

Anyone know what these codes are?

Do they all have a moveable part?  Or have 2 parts joined together?  This type of number is turning up on most assemblies.  The new Jungle cats from my sets have similar type numbers/letters molded on them.   I'm not going to take one of the cats apart, but I would speculate that the actual part number is molded on the inside of the separate parts.  

19 minutes ago, thea said:

Do they all have a moveable part?  Or have 2 parts joined together?

No moveable parts, but they do consist of two pieces of plastic joined together. It could well be that the actual element or design id is inside.

So your assumption is that the printed number is not specifying the assembly (in a similar fashion as the element id), but only the manufacturing batch?

9 minutes ago, HerbertHavu said:

No moveable parts, but they do consist of two pieces of plastic joined together. It could well be that the actual element or design id is inside.

So your assumption is that the printed number is not specifying the assembly (in a similar fashion as the element id), but only the manufacturing batch?

It could also specify which mold was used and at what factory.  There are too many possibilities to be able to say for sure with the new dual injection process and more than 1 factory.

I'm working on sets 4962.  There are many corrections that need to be made in the assigned DUPLO part numbers, so all DUPLO set inventories may look REALLY messed up for periods of time.