Vokhev

Varying number of spare parts

I recently submitted a change request for this case. I built a new set and got a few spare parts less that what is listed on Rebrickable so I sent it in. The admin responded that it sometimes vary from one batch to the other. That's not very surprising and obviously, the site will never be 100% accurate because of that.

What I would like to discuss though is what the approach should be when this happens. Should Rebrickable be pessimistic or optimistic about spare parts? In other words, should it list only parts that are always there or all parts that may be there.

Personally, I think it would be better to have the site be more pessimistic, that is, give the lower number of parts in cases where there is a variation. Here are the reasons:

1) It's much simpler (and cleaner) to add a loose part when you get more than to mark a spare part as lost, especially since you probably don't intend to replace it. It's a spare part.

2) Many people don't validate their spare parts. Those people will find themselves with less parts in reality than their inventory indicates if Rebrickable is optimistic, which is much more problematic than realizing you have more of a part than you thought because Rebrickable is pessimistic.

What does everyone think?

I believe I supplied an answer to most of this question in the topic about Spare Parts in the High Speed Passenger Train.

BrickLink has the most active catalog, with contributions from members who open multiple sets.  Rebrickable relies on the spare parts listed there as a checklist for spare parts submitted here until someone raises a question.  If you know of another reliable site that lists spare parts, I will be happy to include them in the checklist.  

Regarding the Change Request you submitted--If you have a look at the BL spare parts listed for the set, you will see that, to use your terms, Rebrickable is optimistic for one and pessimistic for the other.  And I will also mention that the Admin responding to your Change Request is the same person who did a review of the set for Rebrickable.

If you would still like to have members vote on the question, it needs to be submitted in the Suggestions or Help Topics.  There is no voting mechanism in this topic.

I was not looking for a vote. I don't think we should be telling you how to run the site. I just wanted to discuss the issue with members and admins and see if you guys had agreed on an approach when various instances of a set don't include the same spares. And if not, I hoped one could be agreed upon so things would be consistent.

By the way, maybe my change request wasn't clear but in my specific case, Rebrickable is optimistic for both parts.

I got 17 X 2780, the site lists 18.

I got 7 X 3713, the site lists 8.

Many people in my local LUG got the same set at the same time, since there was a big special. I asked if anyone had kept their spares aside or counted them and unfortunately had no luck.

Wow! I just checked Bricklink and it lists the quantities at 20 and 7 respectively. So they agree with my count for the bushes but list even more than Rebrickable for the pins...

4 hours ago, Vokhev said:

Wow! I just checked Bricklink and it lists the quantities at 20 and 7 respectively. So they agree with my count for the bushes but list even more than Rebrickable for the pins...

Yes I was referring to BL's quantities in comparison to Rebrickable's.  

This also shows you how wide the line is between too few and too many.  It is just not possible to be consistently optimistic or pessimistic.  All we can do is take the information we have from various sources and make a judgement call.