Lucky-Ramses

Search restrictions 500 is way to low

I think having subcategories for parts will greatly improve the usability of the search function, especially for a few big categories such as minifigures and constraction. That makes the chance of hitting the 1000 parts (or even the 500) limit much lower and in the rare case you do hit it you can possibly narrow the down search even more using the tags (which should be more standardized and organized if subcategories are added).

Thanks muchly, @Nathan, for taking a break and responding to these questions, I am sure I am not the only one who appreciates your feedback. -smile-

> The "open" system also means I can't generate the drill-down filters from search results.

Understood and agreed. Would it be possible to keep the search as it is, and add new Browse pages for sets and parts. No drill-downs, only category selection, limited number of items/page (peeron uses 100, which if fine), and open-ended, just a prev/next setting new entry points for the search.

> and most of the work is actually done to draw the items for the current page

An average search (496 Parts/Page) for me takes 10 seconds for your server to perform the search (waiting for Rebrickable.com...), 3 seconds to receive and render (transmitting), and another 3 to 5 seconds to load the images. However, reducing the Parts/Page to 96, which ought to reduce response time with 75% (same amount to search, but less items to draw), is only 1 to 2 seconds faster. Might be something else going on.

> The search query isn't very flexible and on my list to investigate a better method.

If needed, I could grep the parts.csv using regular expressions, to create sub-categories of say duplo, minifigs, accessories and bionicle, upload the results in public lists and make them available through the forum. It could assist others having at least a way to browse though an entire sub-category, and it would not interfere with normal operations. However, I don know how much performance impact those uploads might have. If you think it is worth to try, please let me know.

Take care,
Simon

9 hours ago, legolijntje said:

I think having subcategories for parts will greatly improve the usability of the search function, especially for a few big categories such as minifigures and constraction. That makes the chance of hitting the 1000 parts (or even the 500) limit much lower and in the rare case you do hit it you can possibly narrow the down search even more using the tags (which should be more standardized and organized if subcategories are added).

Yes, I really need to get back to that discussion and finalise our approach.

4 hours ago, Simon said:

If needed, I could grep the parts.csv using regular expressions, to create sub-categories of say duplo, minifigs, accessories and bionicle, upload the results in public lists and make them available through the forum. It could assist others having at least a way to browse though an entire sub-category, and it would not interfere with normal operations. However, I don know how much performance impact those uploads might have. If you think it is worth to try, please let me know.

I wouldn't spend much time on that. We will definitely do something to address the problem.

On 11-9-2017 at 0:26 AM, Simon said:

@TobyMac can I help? If yes, do you want word doc or html with links? I can co-operate with @Lucky-Ramses to make sure we don't work on the same parts.

We can use all the help we can get. I prefer xls or doc with links to the parts.

Maybe a sillt thought of me but the sorting is now a to z, but if you can make an option to search from z to a then everything behind 1000 will show up first.

With that option you can even set the amount back on 750 that will be enough for all only not for minifigs.

But as i mentioned maybe only a silly thought, but it would solve the main problem.

23 hours ago, Lucky-Ramses said:

Maybe a sillt thought of me but the sorting is now a to z, but if you can make an option to search from z to a then everything behind 1000 will show up first.

With that option you can even set the amount back on 750 that will be enough for all only not for minifigs.

But as i mentioned maybe only a silly thought, but it would solve the main problem.

This does not work with the search function so as it is now, even if i turn it arround i only get the first 1000 just the other way arround, and not the other 1000 so as i thought would be returned.

Just checked the first 1000 mini fig Access but the other 1000 i can not reach and also not check, i only need it 1 day to check this catagory then i'm ready!!!

Also when i search on a color i can only search in the first 1000 which i allready did get in the normal search, but they are only sorted on the color now, and again not the missing 1000 from the normal search.

The others are really vanished in the system on this moment, and i can not reach them if i do not have them in my collection.

My collection gives 1674 different mini fig access parts but there are part with more then 1 color so thats no option and gives also only arround 1000 different parts.

Marchel;

I can help - just give me a few hours. -smile-  I need to check some things first, then I will PM you with a solution.

Simon