Eddy

Error 504

Hi Nathan

I have huge difficulties for a few months now to get any result from the normal seacrhes but also the return on the build search gives in 9 out of 10 Error 504.

A friend did make some inquiries and came with the following, the database uses more time to calculate the result as it gets from the programmed time out.

So i can never get any result if the time restriction stays on 30seconds, i have tryed everything to make it work on my side but nothing is working.

This was allraedy before you set the result on 1000.

The ignored sets part i can not reach most of the day, i finaly could empty it yesterday night so that is solved for the time being.

The search is only possible if i shrink the searh with only 50 parts between them so 0 to 250 is an eror 504 and if i search 50-100 it works but 0 to 50 sometimes.

Any chance on setting the server time out time on 40 or 45 seconds????

That would for me be very helpfull.

Grt Marchel

I've been having the exact same problem since about 9/8, was hoping it was being worked on so hadn't yet reported it.  Decided I had better register with the Forums finally to get this documented and see if there were any workarounds (good timing!).  I just attempted your workaround of limiting to a 50-piece range and have finally had a non-504 result for the first time in weeks!  Never had a problem prior to this, thought it was due to my parts list size.

Benchmarks 19:16 Monday, 18 September 2017 Greenwich Mean Time (GMT)

Time in ms.

Empty Search Parts (starting search from main menu)

Page fully loaded after 4465 ms.
Info     Offset     Duration
Redirect     0     0
App cache     1     0
DNS lookup     1     0
TCP connection     1     0
TCP request     48     2078
TCP response     2126     17
Processing     2170     2295
onload event     4465     3

All Bionicles (496 Parts/Page)

Page fully loaded after 11907 ms.
Redirect     0     0
App cache     0     0
DNS lookup     0     0
TCP connection     0     0
TCP request     48     9308
TCP response     9356     31
Processing     9383     2524
onload event     11907     6

All Bionicles (248 Parts/Page)
Page fully loaded after 8340 ms.
Redirect     0     0
App cache     0     0
DNS lookup     0     0
TCP request     38     6015
TCP response     6053     36
Processing     6072     2268
onload event     8340     3

All Bionicles (96 Parts/Page)
Page fully loaded after 7552 ms.
Redirect     0     0
App cache     0     0
DNS lookup     0     0
TCP request     48     5665
TCP response     5713     18
Processing     5741     1811
onload event     7552     5

Custom Lists Overview Page
Page fully loaded after 1888 ms.
Redirect     0     0
App cache     0     0
DNS lookup     0     0
TCP request     48     685
TCP response     733     5
Processing     765     1123
onload event     1888     2

Custom List with 711 sets, first page 200 sets/page
Page fully loaded after 15569 ms.
Redirect     0     0
App cache     0     0
DNS lookup     0     0
TCP request     49     11886
TCP response     11935     21
Processing     11960     3609
onload event     15569     7

Custom List with 711 sets, first page 100 sets/page
Page fully loaded after 14535 ms.
Redirect     0     0
App cache     0     0
DNS lookup     0     0
TCP request     62     11854
TCP response     11916     17
Processing     11943     2592
onload event     14535     5

Custom List with 711 sets, first page 50 sets/page
Page fully loaded after 11332 ms.
Redirect     0     0
App cache     0     0
DNS lookup     0     0
TCP request     64     9159
TCP response     9223     14
Processing     9251     2081
onload event     11332     5

NOTE several times an "Error 0: error" message was displayed for about 3 seconds in the top-right corner of the screen.

Conclusion: no time-outs, but lowering the parts/page or sets/page in searches makes them 25% faster.

Take care,
Simon

PS. For those who might be interested: I am using Fabasoft app.telemetry Page Speed Monitor, a plug-in for Firefox.

What do the numbers mean?
    Redirect (URL-Redirection, URL-Forwarding): When your web browser attempts to open a URL that has been redirected, a page with a different URL is opened.
    App cache (Browser cache): A mechanism for the temporary storage (caching) of resources.
    DNS lookup: The domain name is matched with the appropriate IP-Adress.
    TCP connection: Your devices establishes a connection via TCP.
    TCP request: The duration from the initial request to the first byte of the response.
    TCP response: The duration from the first byte of the response to the completion of the response.
    Processing: Your browser parses the HTML, CSS and synchronous Javascript.
    onload event: The page is fully loaded.

So lets look at the first benchmark, an empty Search Parts page, starting search from the main menu.

Page fully loaded after 4465 ms.
Redirect     0     0
App cache     1     0
DNS lookup     1     0
TCP connection     1     0

1 msec to get Rebrickable's IP address and establishes a connection

TCP request     48     2078

2 seconds for the server to answer: this is Nathan's responsibility.

TCP response     2126     17

17 msecs to receive the response from Nathan's server: this is your provider's responsibility

Processing     2170     2295

2.3 second for the browser to parse the HTML, CSS and Javascript: this is your responsibility

onload event     4465     3

3 msecs for javascript code that runs after the page is fully loaded.

So what you need to look at, if you install this plug-in in your own browser, is the duration of the TCP request. For me, tonight, this varied between 2 seconds and 12 seconds. No problems

Some more data:

Showing the first 200 DUPLO sets in Bricklink: 7.8 seconds
id in Brickset: 5.8 seconds
id in Rebrickable: 14 seconds

Searching for a single set using set number in Bricklink: 3.8 seconds
id in Brickset: 2.3 seconds
id in Rebrickable: 1.4 secons

Searching for a single part using part number in Bricklink: 4.7 seconds
id in Brickset: 1.8 seconds
id in Rebrickable: 2.7 seconds

For single item searches, RB does a great job, for a single set more than twice as fast as BL, for a single part almost twice as fast. Granted BS is faster, but their interface is really simple and outdated. Search is not the problem.

But for a list of 200 items, RB is twice as slow as BL, and 3x as slow as BS. All the more reason to limit your searches as much as you can.

Hi Simon

I'm not talking about the search for parts but the built search at the top of the page, that is a whole other section of the page that takes you're parts to see what you can built and that is only giving this error 504 for 2 months now.

There you have only 40 sets a page and that allready gives a timeout.

The parts search is working for me and gives no error 504 on this moment, only late afternoon when the USA is starting up.

Hi, Marchel;

please don't misunderstand me: I am not underestimating your problems. If I try to open your "All Parts List" (you emailed me that link), the system take 28,5 seconds to display the first page - that's only 1.5 away from time-out. Add-in a slow WiFi connection, or, as you said, a slightly heavier load, and you're in trouble. That's probably also causing the Build to time-out. If I perform a Build, using 3,594 unique parts/colours (32,121 total quantity), the page returns in about 8.9 seconds.

What you need is a Build function that show you what you can NOT build. -smile-
That's probably only a few hundred sets.

In any case, I just wanted to make sure that, if Nathan looks at this problem, he looks in the right direction. In my opinion this is not a Search problem, instead, this is caused by the astounding amount of parts you own.

Take care,
Simon

Yes i know 550000 parts is a problem that is why i asked for 40 to 45 seconds timeout i have a fast cable conection no wifi on my main PC and that is having the problem.

I did only use the build function today to ignore 6500 sets & mocs which i have a 100% score to build so i can look at the others for missing parts and at them to my Bricklink wishlist.

But if i can't open the build search hat is a problem.

The ignored part section is so problematic that after 20 atempts this evening i gave up.

1 hour ago, Simon said:

If I try to open your "All Parts List" (you emailed me that link), the system take 28,5 seconds to display

For me it is only 14 seconds, with 496 parts a page, that is 43 pages.

@Nathan Maybe you can edit the problematic pages so that it doesn't load everything via de initial request, but loads the content via a second separate ajax call (or something like that)? E.g., user searches for something, user gets to see search results page without any results but with a loading icon, searches pop-up when they're ready. I don't know though, if ajax calls also have a timeout, but it sounds like something that can be configured somewhere. Just thinking out loud here.

Of course that's more of a workaround than actual performance improvement, but it's something ;)

Thanks seems to work i can open my ignored sets again.

Only for the build that has still to be restricted to 50 otherwise time out after 30 Seconds.

It works if i include B-Models and Accessory sets but you do not want to see these, and the same for mocs you have to include Payed instructions in the search otherwise also a time out.

Any progress in this i stil seeing the whole day error 404, only my ignored sets is better but only on moments there is low trafic i think.

The build search is still a huge problem and not only for me the whole group i'm working whit is having the same problem.

On this moment there been made rules to use the build search and not get any error ore ad least get anything back, works for the moment but for all sets from 0-50/ 50-100/ 100-150 parts is stil a huge problem and works by me only when there is low trafic on the website.

Maybe you have to implement these comments on the build page to lett everybody know what to do when it is not working.

A lott of users do not get even the error the page, it is just not responding anymore and the wheel/arrow is only turning for hours and hours.

And we also did find out that the amount of parts you have is not the problem even the smallest collection have the same problem, our smallest user has only 21 Technic sets and 1500 loose Technic parts and has the same problems, and could finaly use the page when we gave him the restriction/ search rules to use.

Edited by Lucky-Ramses

I've since made lots of small performance improvements across the site which has halved the average CPU usage and reduced the number of timeouts. I am constantly monitoring and improving things.

I really don't know why the build search is timing out for you, it completes well within the 30 sec limit in my testing, regardless of the options chosen. Are you saying it happens most of the time, or just sometimes? 

It happens when the USA is awake then here in the Netherlands the build function is down and not only by me, but by all users of our group.

We have all different providers so that is not the porblem.

On this moment i'm only using it on moments there is low trafic and then it works only if i do not remove any option i have to search in every catagory when i turn of the moc,s and the B-models and ass sets then it gets also problamatic, and only will get an error.

I also have to restrict it to only 50 parts a search 0-50/ 50-100/ 100-150/ 150-200 and then it gets better, search from 0 - > will get no result only error.

Sorry was away this afternoon yes the time difference, on the moment it is working, the slowest return was 22sec

Just 1 further question is there a solution for the Ldraw pictures that are shown wrong i want to submit the rest of my pictures but i can not see anymore which are allready done because the Ldraw pics keeps showing up.

Every wrong Ldraw pic is blue and i have a lott of them.

Edited by Lucky-Ramses

Hi all,

I can confirm these 504 Gateway timeout problems, too. I am having similar issues (in Europe) all the time if I am about to see all my parts (35+ thousand so not THAT much) in either grid or table view. This, irrespective of the browser or the operating system. It used to work fine until v3 came live.

Hi Nathan

The past month i have been bussy with a lott of other things and just started yesterday again, but the rest of the month will also be very slow i'm running to a deadline of our librairy.

By me everything is very slow responding but that is my collection i think.

If i see the error i will post it here.

I did see you changed the drill down in the my part section, that stil does not work for me, waiting times up to 20 secondes before the page opens is normal.

If you choose a color ore a catagory it takes ages before it opens and when you are ready you have to go back and again a lott of waiting.

Why don't you lett all the options stay in the drill down so you can click to the next one and do not have to go back, just like the part catagories you can make for you're spare parts, that works a lott better and faster.

For me the only way to get some speed is to open everything in a new page.

By me the problem is stil the same i am working on the part pictures on the moment and in 50% of the time i will open a page i get nothing only the not responding server error 504.

So for me it is still not nice to work from 1500 till 1700 hours Dutch time, and in the evening between 2300 en 0200 the same problems.

On the moment i can't reach again not all parts of the website do to the error 504 it is allready a few weeks now i had hoped it would be solved automaticly but i can now not even reach my ignored sets.

Also all my parts is often very slow ore just error 504, any solution in the make i started this topic 6 months ago but it is stil the same.

Maybe the responce time on 60seconds instead of 30sec, on the moment it is still not nice to use some parts of the website i'm only running into error 504 it has been gone for a little while but it is stil the main problem for me.