750ACE

Add Power Functions as Sets or Parts

Question

I picked up the 10254 Winter Holiday Train along with the individual power functions add-ons all at my local Lego store.  8879, 8884, 88000 & 88002.

I just realized some power functions components are considered both Sets and Parts and can be added to your inventory as either or.

When should they add the individual parts as sets and when should they be added as parts?

I am extremely confused.  How can 1 part be a set or is this specific to just power functions?

As of right now I simply added the 4 components to my spare parts list.

2 answers to this question

It's because Lego sells the motors as 'sets' with a set-number, a little bag, a booklet etc. and not as separate parts via the Pick-A-Brick service. Sites like Bricklink etc. do sell the motors as parts.

Having both the set and part (even though they are basically the same) helps with importing from different sources. E.g. a Bricklink order could contain either the set or the part, imports from Brickset can only contain the set. MOC/Set inventories obviously only contain the part etc. etc. And I'm sure there are people out there who want to maintain their collection exactly as they bought it: either as a set or a part. ;)

And as far as I know, this mostly only applies to power functions parts.

It doesn't matter how you add it to your inventory. Rebrickable will calculate it the same way. The only thing that differs is that if you add them as sets instead of parts your set count will (obviously) rise. 

Baseplates and the brick separators are the only other items I can think of where this happens. Although technically it could happen with any "Set" which only contains one part so I'm sure there are other examples (possibly duplo figures sold in a polybag which I think may have happened).