Nathan

Moc Alternate Build Competition - April

40 posts in this topic

As announced: http://rebrickable.com/blog/2014/moc-alternate-build-competition-april

The competition held last December was a great success with lots of awesome MOCs. We are running another one for April, with a similar theme. Create and submit a MOC using only the parts from any single set of your choice (that meets the criteria below). If your submission gets the most votes at the end of the month, you win $100!

There are two main differences from the last competition:

1. You can pick ANY set to create a MOC out of, as long as it has between 150-300 parts and was released in 2013 or later. Here is the full list of 100+ sets you can choose from.
  2. The winner will be determined by a judging panel.

Judges

I am pleased to announce we have three expert AFOLs who have agreed to volunteer their time to judge the competition entries.

1. Nathanaël Kuipers - Well known in the AFOL community, Nathanaël was a LEGO designer responsible for the design of several Technic sets from 2005 to 2008. He is also the author of The LEGO Build It Book. Not just a Technic whiz, Nathanaël has also created dozens of amazing Creator alternate models which you can find on his website.
  2. Jason Allemann - Jason seems to be the master of making viral MOCs. His creations range from amazing mechanical beasts and creative puzzles to humorous holiday scenes and videos.
  3. Atilla (plastic.ati) - Ati is a master of alternate builds, with a seemingly endless number of creations, he has been a big contributor to Rebrickable.

Rules

1. All parts in your MOC must come from a single set.
  2. You may pick any set you like as long as it has 150-300 parts and was released in 2013 or later.
  3. You must submit your MOC before the end of April 2014.
  4. Judging will take place in the first week of May and the winner announced in the forum.
  5. The judges will take into account many factors when scoring each entry, for example: originality of design, proportion of parts used, build quality/construction, playability, quality of instructions, etc. The scores from each judge will be added together and the entry with the highest total is the winner.
  6. Only a single entry per user will be considered for voting (you may submit multiple, but choose one as the final one).
  7. The MOC must be a new creation you have designed yourself.
  8. As these are alternate builds, please ensure your entry gives a 100% match before submitting. Entries that do not match may not be approved. See this help guide for details.
  9. Digital models are allowed, provided the parts are correct during submission (I would suggest leaving out any minifigs if submitting a digital model). Note however, that digital-only submissions may lose points in any sturdiness/construction analysis as it has never been built to verify it works.
  10. If you spot a mistake in the inventory for that set on Rebrickable, please let us know immediately via the Submit Change page.
  11. Submissions can be talked about on the forum during the month and it is encouraged to show off your creation.
  12. As with all MOCs on Rebrickable, your submission must have building instructions and a parts list. There are many acceptable forms of instructions, check out this guide to help you.

If necessary, please review the guide for submitting a MOC.

The winner will receive a gift certificate from their choice of either Amazon, eBay or shop.lego.com for the equivalent of US$100 in their currency of choice.

I still dislike the second part of rule #2. Why prevent people from doing alternate builds of older sets? it's not economical to buy NEW Lego unless you go for the really large sets, that can be hard to get later.

Why have a range you can't use to filter in the "build" to fetch what's the best set for you, if you don't actuall own new sets.

in my case it ended up as 31006-1.jpg with as low as 59,4%, and all other sets has even lower build chance then this one.

Most people buy new sets, regardless of how economical they are. Limiting to recent sets is a way to keep content fresh and interesting to most people.

Bio: Almost all of the Creator sets are especially good parts packs, and I usually pick a few up and part them out immediately. They're well priced per piece, as they're unlicensed, and sometimes have hard to find parts or colours not available in smaller sets. They're a good choice. 31006 you showed above makes some nice micro-scale buildings for example. That being said this wave of creator is a bit meh, for me anyway. Last wave was great.

Well of the new sets in that list I would probably pick the 41054 because it's the one with least common parts with my current inventory and I could use the parts together with my old castle brick. Not sure how good alternate builds you could get from it.

But if I would buy new sets it would be bigger sets that isn't so easy to get second hand later such as the Simpson house.

This is harder than I expected. For MOCs, I've rarely limited myself to a single set. I started playing around with the digital designer file of 76011-1. I think I've got some of my idea working. I'm not sure how inventive the end result will be. Looking at the available sets I can't help but wish I had a different set to use but alas without buying a new set I'm limited to two batman sets and a superman set.

dulsi: it's based on a Fuchikoma/Tachikoma or Think Tank. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fuchikoma#Think_tanks) An intelligent, spider-like weapon platform. Mine has more of a  prisoner/treasure transport functionality.

There's also a Flickr group based on those: https://www.flickr.com/groups/think_tanks/pool

Really cool models there.

Ziepher:  I really liked your idea!  It was awesome-Awesome-AWESOME!  Until you mentioned the word spider! :o

Just kidding-it is really a great model!  When I looked at it the first time, the word spider never entered my mind.

I still dislike the second part of rule #2. Why prevent people from doing alternate builds of older sets? it's not economical to buy NEW Lego unless you go for the really large sets, that can be hard to get later.

Why have a range you can't use to filter in the "build" to fetch what's the best set for you, if you don't actuall own new sets.

As with so many things, we can't please everyone and there always has to be some kind of compromise/ trade off. Allowing older sets would make some people happy, but it could frustrate others who perhaps might particularly be interested in rebuilding an alternate from someone else, but the set in question is not in retail anymore. I talk from experience here with some complaints I have received.

And like Nathan mentions, allowing only sets of the past 2 years will keep things fresh as well. Still with over 100 models to choose from in a reasonable price range, I believe that we have opened up for a lot more possibilities than the previous competition. 

I have to admit that I'm also quite pleased to read that alternate building is considered hard, now some of you have experienced it yourself. Imho this type of building discipline is greatly underestimated, so hopefully competitions like this will also result in more respect and appreciation for it. Besides, I also believe that limiting ourselves in this way, actually results in more creative solutions, because we're forced to think of alternatives with the restrictions we're facing.

Anyway, good luck to everyone and be creative! :)

well I don't see why people would be pissed if I enter the contest with an old set. old parts are hardly better then new, I am more likely to build "blocky" things that won't fit new LEGO user taste. an hench loose the contest.

I don't think I made someone disappointed when I posted this a few weeks ago: http://rebrickable.com/mocs/biodreamer/spacepolice-prisontransport-submarine.

Either you don't care about it or you simply get something for free which is nice.

The only thing you actually do is prevent people to find a treasure chest full of old goodies here. in a way your limiting your sites usability for no appearant reason. if few people own old bricks then few people will make mocs with them. Why kill it completely? it's not like you have to encourage people to use new bricks it's more likely that you would have to do the oppocent to get a good distribution of content.

i have a question. i just posted my "supposedly" entry to other forum just some hours ago. i hae to restsrtven't submitted it here yet. is it still allowed as an entry, or i have to make another one since it's not eligible anymore?

and second, i plan to submit an ldd instruction, but the moc use stickers that come from the set. would it be alright if the instruction is stickerless?

i have a question. i just posted my "supposedly" entry to other forum just some hours ago. i hae to restsrtven't submitted it here yet. is it still allowed as an entry, or i have to make another one since it's not eligible anymore?

and second, i plan to submit an ldd instruction, but the moc use stickers that come from the set. would it be alright if the instruction is stickerless?

I don't think posting on another site is a problem. The rules encourage showing off your creation.

I don't think there is a problem with stickerless instructions. I just submitted mine without stickers in the instructions. The images generated by leocad are also missing the printing on a tile. Most important thing IMHO is can you recreate the model with the instructions provided.

When looking at the rules for the contest I noticed an oddity. It talks about voting for MOCs but you also have judges. Is there going to be voting or is that just leftover text copied from the previous contest?

I think there will be both, just that the judges will have a heavyer opinion then the rest of us. They are more of a anti cheat force and a way to make sure a good entry win not the one with most contacts voting. This is the first attempt they might need to tweak it until they find a good middle road.

You can submit your entry here as well as Eurobricks. As long as it's a new creation in April which it is. I have emailed you about a few issues with the parts list though.

Also - all voting will be done only by the judges this round.

You can submit your entry here as well as Eurobricks. As long as it's a new creation in April which it is. I have emailed you about a few issues with the parts list though.

Also - all voting will be done only by the judges this round.

thanks! and i have replied to your email just now. please check them.

Hello!! My name is Victor and I have just submitted a MOC to the contest! Waiting for approval...

I'm 31 yo and was introduced in LEGO in childhood. Nowadays, I'm only LEGO STAR WARS collector (although I'd like to buy all sets!! But not enough money nor place to store). I have more than 100 sets, from 1999 to 2013 (none of 2014 yet). I follow this web as brickset, peeron, fbtb, etc long time ago. When I read about contest, I decided to make my first MOC but soon I realized it wasn't easy!! All my respect for other builders!!!

The MOC I submit is an alternate construction of BARC Speeder, the only set I have that agree the rules. I used LDD to make instructions. I tried it before but never for doing a whole set. It has been also difficult due to the sort of bricks it has (lot of small plates and a few "real" bricks). My MOC has some deficiency but I think it is playable and cool. I don't know if I will win, but It was funny building it. I will make more if I found time...

Good luck for everyone!!

PS: sorry if my English is not good enough... ;P

Hi Victor,

Good Luck in the contest!  Having fun and trying new things is what rebrickable is all about.

You are about the same age as my son.  He got his first LEGO set when he was 3.

I have lived in various countries around the world.  I have found that if a person can say "Sorry for my bad English.", it usually means their English is much better than what I could do in their native tongue.  You can be proud of your language skills, in addition to your LEGO building skills.  

I had the same problem with the sets I had available. Limited bricks in the Batman: Man-Bat Attacks set. Of course, I got my son the Legend of Chima Brickmaster book for Easter. I think that would qualify but I've already made my entry.

I have decided to buy a new camera. My current camera lacks a macro mode which I think contributes to my poor images.

Hi Victor,

Good Luck in the contest!  Having fun and trying new things is what rebrickable is all about.

You are about the same age as my son.  He got his first LEGO set when he was 3.

I have lived in various countries around the world.  I have found that if a person can say "Sorry for my bad English.", it usually means their English is much better than what I could do in their native tongue.  You can be proud of your language skills, in addition to your LEGO building skills.  

Thea, thanks for your words!!

I forgot to submitt my creation in the forum. As it is still for approval, I leave my flickr album: https://flic.kr/s/aHsjXGq2gZ

Off topic, my other photos in my flikr are my minifig colletion. It isn´t complete, because I upload one minifig per day until complete one year. Feel free to see them!!

Well, here goes with our first MOC! Nothing like a competition to get me sitting down with my 4yo son and building...

We call it the Robot Space Crab, and he's the cousin of Star Wars set 75041.

tn_235_photo%204.JPG

All the legs are positionable, with a wide range of motion from tall (pictured) or flat.

He can also conveniently shoot you with his laser cannons. Pew pew.

Enjoy!

Steph.

At last! I thought we will get less than ten alternates at the end. Now we are getting closer the next ten, with some interesting entries. I hope more will come in the last few hours!

Yes, lots of submissions at the last minute. It doesn't help when a lot of them have errors and I have to go back and forth with the designers, usually in different timezones so that takes a day or two.