TrueDimensions

Tip Jar/Donations for free instructions?

Question

Now that Rebrickable has an integrated marketplace for instructions, have you thought about revisiting the 'Tip Jar/Donation' suggestion? I'm pretty sure someone suggested it years ago.

I really like the idea of keeping my instructions freely available to the community, but having a way for those who can afford it to show their appreciation via making a donation. Rebrickable could take a small percentage for facilitating the donation.

J

13 answers to this question

I have been thinking about this: if you want your MOC to be free, and allow people to make a small donation; why not submit that MOC as Rebrickable-hosted Premium, with a minimal price (1 euro?/1 dollar?) and then ADD an ADDITIONAL link to the freely available instructions. You can even put that in the description: "This MOC is FREEMIUM, the instruction are free, but if you want to support me, you can always buy the instructions".

If the term Freemium sticks, perhaps that can be shown in the MOC searches.

As far as I can tell, this can be done immediately without any technical changes. I am really hoping to see more Freemium MOCs in the near future. For the next few days, I will be searching for "freemium"!

First we need more designers using the term "Freemium" in either MOC name or description. I have made sure that the term Freemium is not used within sets, so if you search for Freemium, you only see MOCs. Right now, there are only four Freemium MOC. We need to get more of them.

Once we have a couple of dozen; I will ask Nathan to add Freemium as a seperate option in Building Instructions. Then the system can display both Freemium and Premium (different colors would be nice), and the community can keep an eye on the validity of the usage (check if a MOC os really Freemium).

Indeed, but consider that the amount that people would tip, they would most likely donate more to Paypal than to you.

And I would also suggest a switch to accept all currencies, to reduce a bit what Paypal steals. It's safe to say that half is paid in EUR & the other half in USD, I would prefer to accept both (or define a price in both currencies).

I think that when you're as low as 1 or 2 bucks to get instructions, it's more or less a tip system. Only, again, it's mainly Paypal that gets the 1 or 2 bucks.

I have no solution to this, though. Is there any cheap micropayment/tipping system out there that'd be suitable? If not, a credit system build-in Rebrickable would be welcome.

I would have suggested cryptocurrencies, as *some* (not BTC of course) have very low fees (& there's BAT designed for tipping in browsers), but Rebrickable would have no way to tell when it has been paid (or perhaps there is with BAT, I don't know, anything that's not BTC/ETH is not mainstream yet anyway).

Other than that, I'd suggest setting up a Paypal.me, it's very simple to insert as an URL. But beware, no one's gonna donate. I've tried it :)

Edited by anothergol

It would be nice to have a field on your profile for a donation link like your paypal.me URL or something that would cause a "Donate to support designer" button (or something like that) to automatically show up on your profile and all your MOC mages.

Hi, I like the idea Simon mentioned and I instantly turned it into reality. My MOCs are all available via the Mecabricks Online editor for free. Users don´t even have to be registered to open them. In the last few weeks I still get some questions about step-by-step instructions, but thats not an easy task as Mecabricks doesn´t support generating instructions. So, I set up my own quite complex "production chain". The resulting PDF file is now available as a Rebrickable premium file. I gradually update the remaining MOCs and will continue this process for future models. 

On 1/17/2019 at 12:17 AM, Simon said:

.... For the next few days, I will be searching for "freemium"!

Keep on searching! I definitely stick to the term "Freemium" and place it in the descriptions of my models.

Thanks, I appreciate it.

There's a thin line between good and greedy when it comes to pricing MOC instructions, and over the last few month, I felt we were on a sliding slope, and so I coined the term "MOC-spamming" to express my concern. Here on Rebrickable we are all AFOLs, we are an adult community, and we should be able, by respectful reasoning and argumentation, to put a halt to this kind of unwanted development.

I sincerely hope that more of your fellow MOC designers follow your example.

Take care,
Simon

I think one drawback is that I don't normally click on any MOCs that have the "Premium" tag, but I would be more likely to click on one that doesn't have it, really enjoy it and then go back to tip.

5 hours ago, raystafarian said:

I think one drawback is that I don't normally click on any MOCs that have the "Premium" tag, but I would be more likely to click on one that doesn't have it, really enjoy it and then go back to tip.

Yes, that's a point I also thought about: 

1. The best solution would be to have a similar tag for Freemium MOCs, maybe with a green background instead of the blue one. But it's not easy verifiable by the system and therefore error prone. 

2. Or the MOC creator can decide if the Premium tag is shown or not. 

For both solutions a system change is needed. 

3. A quick fix could be to have special prefix in the name of the MOC... like [Free] or something like that.