blockhead

Sorting Sets

I am hoping to use this site a little in reverse. We have quite a number of sets that were bought between 1995 and 2006 and they have all ended up in one bin! Yikes! I'm hoping to sort out at least the pieces for the most complicated sets and keep them together (for instance the Black Sea Barracuda Pirate Ship and some of the technics). In order to determine the possible recombination of sets that Rebrickable does there must be stored somewhere an inventory list of each set's contents. Can someone tell me how I access these please?

Hi, and welcome to the forum!

If you still have the instructions for your sets, you'll have the set numbers. Go to the Rebrickable website, select Sets > Search Sets and enter the set number. For the Black Seas Barracuda that is 10040-1. If needed, click the Inventory tab and you'll see all the parts in the set. If you don't have the set numbers, try browsing a specific year or theme and see if you recognize any of the sets. In Search Sets you can select a single theme or a period of years. If all else fails try to find parts that might be special: for example, the sails of the Black Seas Barracude were only used in two sets. Lots of bricks with a decoration, and minifigs, and such, are only used in a few sets and can be used to narrow the search.

Good luck!

Simon

I constantly buy unidentified kilograms of lego for 10-15 Euro per kg. If you don't have all instructions sheets I have my own method I wish to share with all of you. 

First check all printed parts or parts with stickers aplied on with bricklink database. Next step is check minifigures. Just look for rare parts as a starter.