Przemos19

Official Combination of sets

Some of the older sets were meant to be combined with other sets, for example in order to motorize them, according to instruction sheets. 

That's why I propose all these official combinations should be mentioned in description of both sets. It should help those of us, who buy random lego by kilograms and find very usefull parts. 

This is a good idea, and I support your suggestion. I am currently adding set notes (the description field below the set image) for value packs, promo's, regional releases and duplicate sets (including Samsonite sets), and if the other team members agree, I have no problem looking into this.

If you have a list of set combinations that would qualify, please let me know.

Ok my example. I got Push along Train 7715 almost 30 years ago and my blurry memory said that instruction sheet had 2 options for motorization. Today I unpacked my recently bought 1kg of legos and there was working and complete 810 https://rebrickable.com/sets/810-1/basic-motor-set/#parts .

Instructions sheet has 2 options to motorize it:

and 7865

If not my childhood memory I would never check instruction sheet again. 

There are some Technic from late 80' - early 90' with similar approach in instruction sheet. I'll try to write them down.

Just to test I have added set-notes to 7715-1, 7865-1 and 810-1. To be sure, I want to limit these notes to those sets for which the official instructions contain a clear reference to sets that could be used to motorize them. In theory any set with wheels can be motorized by any kind of motor, but then I would consider the result a MOC. When LEGO has explicitly created instructions for the motorization, a set-note can be added.

Perfect! This purist approach is very much welcomed. Those 80' and 90' sets were full of surprises.

Ok here are Technics:

1. 851-1 and 870-1

2. 852-1 and 870-1

3. 853-1 and 870-1

4. 854-1 and 870-1

5. 855-1 and 870-1

6. 856-1 and 870-1. 

7. 857-1 (8857-1)  870-1 / 960-1 or and 872-1 and  870-1 / 960-1

8. 8860-1 and 870-1 or 872-1

All done!
BTW - while updating these I noticed that for most of them we have very low quality images (to say it nicely -smile-). So if you are scanning for sets with missing images, don't hesitate to scan some any. Any improvement of our image collection is greatly welcomed!