Posted (edited)

[MODERATOR NOTE] This thread started as a question about private tags, but it evolved into a discussion about general tags and it is since then used for requests for tag maintenance. Hence I have moved it from Help to Other Data. If you have a suggestion for a new (set-) tag, or sets that might need to be tagged (or un-tagged), please post them here. [END NOTE]

=====

I would like to generate my own tags for sets, so that they show up in the "drill down" section on my set page. Is there still a way to do that?

Edited by Simon
moderator note added

Hi, DrKateOC, and welcome to the forum.

No, at this moment, only admins can create or maintain set tags. But it is a fun idea to add user tags, so, if you wish, I could turn your question into a suggestion (by moving this thread to the Suggestions Forum) and allow other others to vote for it.

Let me know if that's ok with you?

what kind of tags do you want to add? it might be useful tags for everyone.

No, at this moment, only admins can create or maintain set tags. But it is a fun idea to add user tags, so, if you wish, I could turn your question into a suggestion (by moving this thread to the Suggestions Forum) and allow other others to vote for it.

Let me know if that's ok with you?

That would be fantastic! I'd love to have that feature approved!

Edited by DrKateOC

On 1/13/2018 at 12:29 PM, biodreamer said:

what kind of tags do you want to add? it might be useful tags for everyone.

I was originally thinking of tags I'd like to apply specifically to my own sets (e.g. "kids have built", "from dad's collection", "for parts",  "checked", "awesome part"), but some of them might work more generally: 

• #power functions (i.e. sets with instructions to optionally add power functions)
  • #polybag
  • #fiber optics
  • #conductive bricks
  • #light brick
  • #helicopter
  • #motorcycle

I've also noticed that some sets are lacking relevant tags. For example:

etc...

Incidentally, I'd be happy to help with updates using the existing tags, if that would be useful. It would be rude to complain without offering to help :)

well the power functions or motorized versions should be added as alternate models with inventory so you know if you have the parts or not.

lightbrick, conductive bricks and fiber optics is just set containing a few specific parts so no need for tags there. You can easily find those with a search.

helicopter and motorcycle is on other hand good tags.

polybag should be a property on a set not a tag imo. ie box, polybag, none, zipbag. ie how the set was packaged on release.

I do like the "conductive bricks" one though I would probably use a name that refers more directly to the old 9V system (and potentially a tag for each electric standard LEGO made). Yes, you can find them throug the parts but I don't think there's a feature to find all the sets that have parts in a group and some of those set won't have any part in common from that system. It would be nice to quickly find sets that share this compatible system. For example, the Futuron Monorail and the Airtech Claw Rig have no 9V part in common but both share the same 9V system.

add the parts in question in a part list and run a build and you get the result. so if you want 9V set and you don't think they are tagged properly just put the 9V parts in question in a partlist run a build and you will endup with all 9V sets in the top of the build result while none  9V sets would be in the bottom if available at all.

Edited by biodreamer

On 1/18/2018 at 5:38 PM, biodreamer said:

add the parts in question in a part list and run a build and you get the result. so if you want 9V set and you don't think they are tagged properly just put the 9V parts in question in a partlist run a build and you will endup with all 9V sets in the top of the build result while none  9V sets would be in the bottom if available at all.

A 9V tag would definitely not do it since there are more than one 9V systems.

On 1/17/2018 at 4:27 PM, biodreamer said:

well the power functions or motorized versions should be added as alternate models with inventory so you know if you have the parts or not.

lightbrick, conductive bricks and fiber optics is just set containing a few specific parts so no need for tags there. You can easily find those with a search.

helicopter and motorcycle is on other hand good tags.

polybag should be a property on a set not a tag imo. ie box, polybag, none, zipbag. ie how the set was packaged on release.

I'm not sure why "helicopter" is a good tag, but "conductive brick" is not. I can very easily search my set collection for the word "helicopter". But searching for "conductive brick" gives me nothing.

I'm not sure why "helicopter" is a good tag, but "conductive brick" is not. I can very easily search my set collection for the word "helicopter". But searching for "conductive brick" gives me nothing.

In fact, I've run a number of searches on my sets using search terms I would expect to work, and have come up with nothing:

• motor
  • power
  • electric
  • 9v
  • light

What I've tried as an alternative:

• search for a particular part
  • go to "my parts", where it shows which set lists the sets fall into
  • click on the setlist, which brings me...to the set list. No indication which set contains the part.

Even if that worked as expected (giving me only the set(s) containing that part), it requires me to find a *particular* part, rather than one of a category of parts that I'm looking for (e.g. as many conductive bricks as I can scrape together, of whatever variety I can find). 

1 hour ago, DrKateOC said:

Because you don't always list every model in a set or have the word helicopter in the set name. I am not aware how many is searching for conductive brick.

I rather have tags like power function (9V), 9V system (include light & sound), 12V system and 4,5V System since even if categories exist they are limited mostly to train sets. and don't catch city and space sets and perhaps MOCS using those parts outside standard set categories.

On 1/22/2018 at 5:29 PM, biodreamer said:

yes but they can work together if you have the right cable combinations.

Seriously? Which cables?

By the way, the examples of tags you list in your last post is exactly what I had in mind.

23 hours ago, biodreamer said:

Because you don't always list every model in a set or have the word helicopter in the set name. I am not aware how many is searching for conductive brick.

I rather have tags like power function (9V), 9V system (include light & sound), 12V system and 4,5V System since even if categories exist they are limited mostly to train sets. and don't catch city and space sets and perhaps MOCS using those parts outside standard set categories.

I'm a bit confused...so power function would go under "powerfunction (9V)" and things like fiberoptics and sound would go under "9V system"? That would work for me. I use both.

2 hours ago, DrKateOC said:

I'm a bit confused...so power function would go under "powerfunction (9V)" and things like fiberoptics and sound would go under "9V system"? That would work for me. I use both.

Yeah I think they are worth splitting due to their different connection types.

Greetings, Folks.

Apologies for the silence - I didn't feel well last week.

Just to be sure, we have a 9v-tag:
for sets (111): https://rebrickable.com/search/?search_type=sets&tag=333&min_year=1950#sets
for mocs (21): https://rebrickable.com/search/?search_type=mocs&tag=333&min_year=1950#mocs
From themes: Train > 9V and Train > Supplemental

we also have a 4.5v-tag:
for sets (88): https://rebrickable.com/search/?search_type=sets&tag=70&min_year=1950#sets
for mocs (1): https://rebrickable.com/search/?search_type=mocs&tag=70&min_year=1950#mocs
From themes: Train > 4.5V and Train > Supplemental

and a 12v-tag:
for sets (50): https://rebrickable.com/search/?search_type=sets&tag=121&min_year=1950#sets
for mocs (1): https://rebrickable.com/search/?search_type=mocs&tag=121&min_year=1950#mocs
From themes: Train > 12V and Train > Supplemental

power functions:
for sets (17): https://rebrickable.com/search/?search_type=sets&tag=80&min_year=1950#sets
for mocs (21): https://rebrickable.com/search/?search_type=mocs&tag=80&min_year=1950#mocs
From theme: Power Functions

We do not have a Light & Sound tag, but if we all feel such a tag could be useful, I'd be happy to add it.

A few remarks. Historically, the tags were based on specific themes. So right now, all sets tagged 9v are within the Train theme. If any of you know about sets in other themes that should have a 9v tag (or any other above mentioned tags), please let me know, and I'd be happy to add the tags. (Posting links to sets instead of just set numbers would save a lot of time -smile-)

As you can see above, there are separate links for MOCs. MOC designers are responsible for adding their own tags to their own MOCs. So if you think a MOC should have certain tag, you need to contact the designer.

The tags (for either sets or MOCs) are not search-able, the set search only looks at set name and description. So to get a list of sets with a certain tag you need a link. Currently the tag-links are in the drill-downs, and, for individual sets, in the tag list. Not really easy to get at immediately.

Now, a few month ago, I have added a whole lot of quick-links to one of the Help pages. In Tips & Tricks we have a list of Sets per Year, and a list of Sets per Theme. Each of the quick-links in these lists opens in a new browser window or tab, so the list itself remains available. I do not know if it is used a lot, but it is very handy if you want browse through all sets released within a certain year or theme.

So I am wondering, would it be useful to add a third list of quick-links, for the most common tags? If so, how should I organize them: alphabetically, or grouped (all the tags above could be in group Electrical), or, perhaps, even both. What tags would be useful in such a list?

Please know that I am not doing this for myself, but for you guys. I don't mind doing the work, but you all need to tell me what tags might be useful, and how we could organize them the most efficiently.

Looking forward to your comments and suggestions...
Simon

I think tags are way to hidden feature, they should be exposed more. both as a way to filter and to see so user can suggest more to be added.

Thanks @biodreamerall tags are added. I also changed the 8485 sub-sets into b-models. I will start working on a tag-list in the Tips & Tricks help page. Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

UPDATE: first (small) list of tags is available in Tips & Tricks help page.

Edited by Simon
UPDATED