dagupa

Help with Premium MOC's Rebrickable Hosted

Question

Hello.

I've been looking around for some information about the Premium Moc's that are "Rebrickable Hosted" but I haven't been able to find much information. Maybe someone knows where I can consult the "Terms and Conditions".

For now, I have two questions:

1. What kind of rights are the designer transferring to Rebrickable?

2. What happen if the designer closes his/her account? How long after the designer closes his/her Rebrickable account are the PDF's hosted for the buyers?

I have another questions but it's about the process of uploading the Instructions. There are two options: "From disk" (limited to 100MB) and "From URL" (limited to 1024MB). How the second option works? I have try with links from Google Drive and pCloud, but neither of them worked. My PDF's are usually about 200MB to 400MB.

Thank you in advance for any help.  

10 answers to this question

10 hours ago, Simon said:

Hi, dagupa, and welcome to the forum.

The only thing I could find is this help page, which is probably not an answer to you questions.

@Nathan- could you shed some light on this?

Hello. Thank you for your answer. After some research I managed to create a link that Rebrickable seems to accept but I'm not sure it's going to work. I guess the only one who can help me is Nathan. I'm leaving a note with the Submission Process.

On 1/12/2018 at 7:11 AM, dagupa said:

Hello.

I've been looking around for some information about the Premium Moc's that are "Rebrickable Hosted" but I haven't been able to find much information. Maybe someone knows where I can consult the "Terms and Conditions".

For now, I have two questions:

1. What kind of rights are the designer transferring to Rebrickable?

The terms are at https://rebrickable.com/terms/. Basically, the MOC is yours but Rebrickable may use its image in promotional material or social media.

2. What happen if the designer closes his/her account? How long after the designer closes his/her Rebrickable account are the PDF's hosted for the buyers?

This is a bit of an issue I need to figure out. Ideally, the PDFs should remain forever available to the purchaser (in my opinion). Currently, if a MOC is disabled or a designer deletes their account, the downloads are still available - unless the designer removed the BI files first which I allow as part of uploading new replacement files.

I have another questions but it's about the process of uploading the Instructions. There are two options: "From disk" (limited to 100MB) and "From URL" (limited to 1024MB). How the second option works? I have try with links from Google Drive and pCloud, but neither of them worked. My PDF's are usually about 200MB to 400MB.

Thank you in advance for any help.  

From URL copies the file from the location specified directly to the web server over a much faster connection than is available to most users - i.e it bypasses your browser/network. It also bypasses the Cloudflare network which imposes the 100MB limit on front-end uploads. If Google Drive etc don't work, I'm guessing they're doing something strange which is breaking the fairly simple downloading mechanism (it just uses the python requests library). If you have a specific example, I can spend some time investigating it.

On 1/15/2018 at 12:19 AM, Nathan said:

From URL copies the file from the location specified directly to the web server over a much faster connection than is available to most users - i.e it bypasses your browser/network. It also bypasses the Cloudflare network which imposes the 100MB limit on front-end uploads. If Google Drive etc don't work, I'm guessing they're doing something strange which is breaking the fairly simple downloading mechanism (it just uses the python requests library). If you have a specific example, I can spend some time investigating it.

Thank you for your answer and your time. I finally got a link that Rebrickable accepts, from pCloud. I'm leaving a comment when I submit the MOC so you can verify that it really worked. Thank you again.

Hello @Nathan

It seems that the problem with the download link persists. I "upload" a link from host pCloud. In the submission form RB accepts the link, but today the first buyer told me that the link is broken. I "re-uploaded" the link and RB accepted it with no problem. I tested the link and it's working, but I have no way to test if the download from Rebrickable works. All I can see in the ADMIN tab is this:

640x174.jpg

This is the Mochttps://rebrickable.com/mocs/MOC-12165/dagupa/parisian-restaurant-extended/

Thank you for your time and help.

Edited by dagupa

On 2/1/2018 at 5:13 AM, dagupa said:

Hello @Nathan

It seems that the problem with the download link persists. I "upload" a link from host pCloud. In the submission form RB accepts the link, but today the first buyer told me that the link is broken. I "re-uploaded" the link and RB accepted it with no problem. I tested the link and it's working, but I have no way to test if the download from Rebrickable works. All I can see in the ADMIN tab is this:

640x174.jpg

This is the Mochttps://rebrickable.com/mocs/MOC-12165/dagupa/parisian-restaurant-extended/

Thank you for your time and help.

I've added downloadable links for designers now. Hopefully that helps you figure out the problem.

22 hours ago, Nathan said:

I've added downloadable links for designers now. Hopefully that helps you figure out the problem.

I'm sorry to bother you again. I've tried dropbox, google drive, sync.com and pCloud.com so far and I haven't been available to upload the file. It always uploads a couple of KB, then a green notification says "File Uploaded". When I try the download link I get a blank file. I tried opera, firefox and safari and I get the same results.

I really don't know what I'm doing wrong. I decided to split the file into five .zip files but I don't think that's a solution.

27 minutes ago, dagupa said:

I'm sorry to bother you again. I've tried dropbox, google drive, sync.com and pCloud.com so far and I haven't been available to upload the file. It always uploads a couple of KB, then a green notification says "File Uploaded". When I try the download link I get a blank file. I tried opera, firefox and safari and I get the same results.

I really don't know what I'm doing wrong. I decided to split the file into five .zip files but I don't think that's a solution.

It sounds like it's downloading a HTML file that probably shows an error message - such as login required or something. Can you try again and I'll take a look at the file it downloads. Or email me the link and I'll do some testing.

Also, test the URL from a private browser session that won't have any cookies set which should better simulate what the server is trying to do.

19 hours ago, Nathan said:

It sounds like it's downloading a HTML file that probably shows an error message - such as login required or something. Can you try again and I'll take a look at the file it downloads. Or email me the link and I'll do some testing.

Also, test the URL from a private browser session that won't have any cookies set which should better simulate what the server is trying to do.

After trying with a lot of links I finally found a solution to get a direct link using Dropbox. Google Drive and other services seems to be very reluctant to direct links, they always put something before you can access the file.

I'm posting a solution in case anybody else has the same problem (I can't believe I'm the only one)

1. Get the "shareable link" that looks like this: https://www.dropbox.com/s/hriinb9w3a2107m/My%Instructions.pdf?dl=0

2. Change the server to: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com

3. The direct link will look like this:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/hriinb9w3a2107m/My%Instructions.pdf

Very simple but It took me a while to find this solution.

Thank you for your time.

Edited by dagupa
change link