I just got the mythical creatures set, so I decided to build the dragon from the red creatures set (I had the scorpion on display) to see how the two dragons compared, because I noticed they looked very similar.

Well, I a part that was broken. One of the white clips. As a consequence, I can't clip more than one of the flames into the red dragon's mouth. Also, one of the dark grey hinge pieces for the wings has mysteriously gone missing. So yeah, I'm going to have to look into getting replacement pieces. Luckily, none of them are rare or unique to the set.

But is there a way to keep parts from breaking? I have a similar problem with my construct-i-bots with their clips breaking. Is there a way to avoid this? Can they be repaired (I doubt it, but what's the harm in asking?). I'm particularly upset about the clips on the construct-i-bots since those sets have a lot of unique parts.

beyond keeping them away from kids (that play with violence, so any young kid) and be careful, not that I am aware off. Some design are simply not good and have weak points which cause some parts to break and it's the designs fault, since it should be aware of the stress and make sure it can handle it without harming the parts in the process.

this is why clip pieces tend to have spares in sets.  I had the same issue happen on the deloran for the BTTF lego dimensions set.