Memento

Minifig assemblies

Question

I would like to have the ability to see the assembled minifigs in a set as well as my collection. Currently I can only get a list of the parts and would have to look at the instructions or other sites to figure out what minifig parts go together.

If users were given the ability to catalog and submit minifig assemblies then it could certainly be scripted to catch up on the existing sets. I'd love to volunteer for that job. :D

Thanks!
Rob

10 answers to this question

We indeed had that discussion. The main issue is the vast amount of work it would involve to implement this and add all the minifigures. For now, Nathan wants to focus on improving other parts of the site before tackling this issue.

I believe this has been discussed by the admins before. And If I remember correctly it was agreed it would be a nice feature, but there was some disagreement about the (technical/under the hood) implementation. But don't quote me on that :rolleyes:

I figured this was discussed before, I just couldn't find a post on it. 

If there's anything I can do to help get this going just let me know. I'd love to help on the site, especially on the python backend.  

I would like also to have the ability to see the assembled minifigs in a set as well as my collection.

I buy a lot of minifigs, clonetroopers for example, to build armies, and many others.

Just throwing my grain of salt in. At first, I didn't see the use of this but I'm currently dismantling all my MOCs and the custom figures I had in them to rebuild the original figure. It is absolute chaos. To find the figures I have, I need to flip between Rebrickable where I have my collection and Bricklink where figures are detailed. And that doesn't cover the figures I bought individually because they are inventoried as parts.

I know this is not on top of the list but it would indeed be very useful and I wanted to express my support of the idea.

If we could add figures to our collection pretty much like we add sets and be able to see all the figures we have whether they are from sets we own or we got them individually, that would be wonderful.

I think they simply should be subsets. embrace that feature and build on it rather than making something special for minifigs. why not use [theme tag]_[character_tag]_m[index] for them?

12 minutes ago, biodreamer said:

I think they simply should be subsets. embrace that feature and build on it rather than making something special for minifigs. why not use [theme tag]_[character_tag]_m[index] for them?

I think this is a really good idea. Although an issue would be that if you are searching through sets you would have to be conscience to filter out sub-sets, otherwise you'd have thousands of results. Is that something New/Casual users will do or will they just get fed up scrolling through tens of pages.

10 minutes ago, jaredhinton said:

I think this is a really good idea. Although an issue would be that if you are searching through sets you would have to be conscience to filter out sub-sets, otherwise you'd have thousands of results. Is that something New/Casual users will do or will they just get fed up scrolling through tens of pages.

Yes a subset checkbox would be needed for the search page, just like there is already on the build page. it useful already today before adding those thousands of minifigs. Why not reuse those from the build page in the search, okay right now MOCS has it own tab,  maybe another tab for subsets?

Edited by biodreamer

I made a little test set to try this out: cty020-1 is a minifig in set 5532-1.

As a sub-set, it is shown in 5532-1, and it has a link to 5532-1. The problem is, the minifig also occurs within set 7239-1, so I have added it as a sub-set, and if you select that set, you can see the minifig as a sub-set.

Good thing about this way of doing it: sub-sets are not included in the parts count, so the parts remain correct.

Bad thing: in cty020-1 you only see 5532-1 as owner set, and I can't see any way to find out the minifig is also part of 7239-1. The only way to find that out is going thru parts, selecting the torso and then see in which sets the torso occurs.

So how do we link a minifig to several sets?

And if we do it like this, shouldn't we use the same mf numbers that Brickset and Bricklink are using?

To be sure, this is just a test, the minifig will be disabled after a while, so please don't use it.

if subsets can't be part of more than one set, that would need to be fixed and not only to handle minifigs, you also need to be able include count. ie more than one of the same subset.

it would be needed for subsets such as the prisons in the different space police. as long as it is easy to search and list them in their groups. you can use the brickset/bricklink numbering. just lets keep the minifigs with gear only not two versions one with and one without and that would include any plate or brick they stand on, such as the dimension plate. ie the subset of parts that belong to the minifig. in your pick there is no such thing, well the yellow water sprayer could be a subset of it's own.

I don't really like that it ends up under alt. builds.

it should really be this:

master inventory

(models)

A-model

(subsets)

Minifig1

Water Bottle

Car

B1-model

(subsets)

Minifig1

B1 model