kejv2

How to use "BUILD SET - Find My Parts" page

Question

I want to build a MOC from the parts out of my sets. The mentioned page allows me to iteratively choose the available sets and then subtract the corresponding parts from the MOC until every part is covered. The problem is that after that there seems to be no way to tell which parts are actually taken from which sets - all I get is only the list of sets which needs to be dismantled.

I would appreciate ability to export the parts in table similar to the one I'm working with when choosing the sets, i.e. a table with columns: part/color - quantity - set of origin. I would use this table to return the parts back to their original sets after the MOC is dismantled. Or is there any other way to achieve this?

5 answers to this question

On ‎3‎/‎17‎/‎2018 at 9:53 AM, kejv2 said:

I want to build a MOC from the parts out of my sets. The mentioned page allows me to iteratively choose the available sets and then subtract the corresponding parts from the MOC until every part is covered. The problem is that after that there seems to be no way to tell which parts are actually taken from which sets - all I get is only the list of sets which needs to be dismantled.

I would appreciate ability to export the parts in table similar to the one I'm working with when choosing the sets, i.e. a table with columns: part/color - quantity - set of origin. I would use this table to return the parts back to their original sets after the MOC is dismantled. Or is there any other way to achieve this?

So what you mean, you click build this and the 'source parts' page comes up right? Well for your issue perhaps don't click on 'use this set' until you have the parts you need from that set in front of you. For instance, if I need 10 parts from 31006-1, I will go collect those 10 parts, physically set them in front of me, then click 'use this set'. Now I have 10 fewer parts to find and have eliminated one set. I realize this isn't exactly what you mean, but this is how I do it and it works well (fro me).

Since this way allows you to see which parts came from where since you stay on that page, I think it may help you until Rebrickable adds a new feature. I hope this was helpful. :)

On 3/29/2018 at 8:28 PM, TeagueO said:

So what you mean, you click build this and the 'source parts' page comes up right? Well for your issue perhaps don't click on 'use this set' until you have the parts you need from that set in front of you. For instance, if I need 10 parts from 31006-1, I will go collect those 10 parts, physically set them in front of me, then click 'use this set'. Now I have 10 fewer parts to find and have eliminated one set. I realize this isn't exactly what you mean, but this is how I do it and it works well (fro me).

Since this way allows you to see which parts came from where since you stay on that page, I think it may help you until Rebrickable adds a new feature. I hope this was helpful. :)

Well, I can imagine doing that as a workaround but the main problem comes when I want to disassemble the parts back to their original sets. Without a list of parts and their origin I'm quite screwed :-( Any ideas how to overcome this? (Of course without having to write down the parts manually.)

Beyond not storing the part in their sets which really becomes a burden when the number of sets goes over a dozen or so. it's great for alternate models and super models but any other type of MOCing is cumbersome. 

On ‎3‎/‎31‎/‎2018 at 3:16 PM, kejv2 said:

Well, I can imagine doing that as a workaround but the main problem comes when I want to disassemble the parts back to their original sets. Without a list of parts and their origin I'm quite screwed :-( Any ideas how to overcome this? (Of course without having to write down the parts manually.)

I see what you mean. Well perhaps keep that same page. It tells you what parts you need to take out. After building the MOC and now dissembling it go to the page. I suppose a way to work around your problem is just look at the page and see what parts you took from that set, find those in the dissembled MOC, and put them back in. But there is no separate page to my knowledge. Just have to workaround this I suppose. Good luck with your project also.

There is a suggestion on the other forum, if you are still looking for this vote there: https://rebrickable.com/forum/index.php?/topic/2470-breakdown-of-parts-list-based-on-set-origin/

That is the main feature I need as well.