Sign in to follow this  
anothergol

"Any color" and easy import from LXF

Question

I thought that this feature was already there, so I'm sorry if it really is, but I couldn't find it.

Basically, in a MOC there are generally hidden parts, for which the color doesn't matter. Is this what the "none" part color already is? If not, could we get a new "any color"?

Also, even if that's what "none" already is, I can't imagine myself doing this manually, especially when those parts are merged with those for which the color matters. So I'd suggest the LXF importer to use an uncommon LXF color like "metallic sand blue" (or a user-defined color) to import parts as "any color".

That way, say a MOC of 200 parts has 50 totally hidden parts, you just color them differently, and the importer does the rest. That should result in more shops having all the necessary parts.

1 answer to this question

Not to dig up my old thread, but am I the only one thinking it's kinda critical, or has this suggestion been made in different words?

Or is this what "spare parts" are about? Because it's different: I can imagine 3 extra marks for a part in an inventory,  which could be combined:

1) "any color", for all hidden parts. Let's face it, hidden parts are a big part of many MOCs, and it's a bit silly to require the user to buy a part of a specific color, while he may already have the part in another color. Also, it would drastically reduce the amount of shops required to find all of the parts.

2) "any sub-type". This is for those many elements that have mold variations, or similar molds. The most common example being tile+clip. Let's agree that generally the type of clip only matters aesthetically. Looking for shops that have "any tile+clip" would also reduce the amount needed.

3) "any filler". This would be for hidden parts that are just fillers, & for which another part taking the same room would do as well. Granted, this would be much less easy to make work.

I'm saying this because in the past, I've color-coded hidden parts in instructions, telling the reader "green parts are any color - just use what you already own", but I then realized from pictures that actual green parts had been bought & used for the assembly.