LegoOri

Converting CSV to LXF

Hi, LegoOri, good to meet!

I have no idea what you mean by this -smile-, a Rebrickable .csv is a CSV file (comma-seprated values), so why the need to convert?

Ah, I just noticed the title... convert .csv to lxf; are you asking about using a rebrickable part-inventory within LDD?

Depends on what you want: if you are thinking about the contest, and you want to rebuild an existing LEGO set (creating an alternate model), the easiest way is to use stud.io, which has an Open Existing LEGO model option in its File > Open menu. This will import all the parts from an existing LEGO set. Then you can export those loose parts as an LDraw file, which can be imported into LDD. You do need to check the colors, and, of course, there might be a difference between the Bricklinks inventory and the Rebrickable inventory, so you might need to check the total number of parts.

Obviously, this won't work for Rebrickable MOCs. However, there is LDCad Parts Bin PBG export option in Rebrickable, and I would guess there has to be a way (presumably thru LDCad) to turn that into a genuine LDraw file which can be imported into LDD. However, I have never tried this myself, cause I am running Linux, and, for some reason, LDCad refuses to work. I am working on triple-boot to include WinXP and Win7 on a spare desktop, once that works I intend to play a while with LDCad and try these things out.

If anyone has some experiece with LDCad, please step in...

PS.

Just checked - in Stud.io:
File > Open > Import > Import Official LEGO Set
or
Open Icon > Import > Import Official LEGO Set
File > Export As > Export as LDraw...

In LDD
Import model > *.ldr

21 hours ago, Simon said:

However, there is LDCad Parts Bin PBG export option in Rebrickable, and I would guess there has to be a way (presumably thru LDCad) to turn that into a genuine LDraw file which can be imported into LDD.

Not really. The pbg files are only a parts list. So you can build a model in LDCad using a limited number of bricks (for example if you want to build an alternate model, or if you just want to digitally recreate an existing model). There isn't a way to turn that list into an LDraw model.

LDD Manager used to be able to turn a parts list into an LXF file, but that software has been abandoned. There is (was) also peeron_to_MLCad which creates an LDraw file from a peeron inventory, but A: that software is ancient by now and B: Peeron is ancient too :P Ah well, this is all a bit useless.

21 hours ago, Simon said:

cause I am running Linux, and, for some reason, LDCad refuses to work.

It should work on Linux though... If you have any problems, you can always come by the LDraw forums to ask for help :) 

Hi, Merlijn, thanks for the update! The peeron_to_MLCad link turned out to be pretty interesting, have you ever checked LdSetsConversion? I was able to run that under Wine, and it actually downloaded a Bricklink inventory and tried to convert that into an LDraw file. I hadn't prepared a working parts folder, so I am not completely sure, but it might actually work. The Bricklink Sets update function doesn't seem to work, but that only saves a Bricklink setlist to a text file, which could be easily done by a separate script.

I checked eurobricks, and there was an announcement from Michele Somma dated April 3, 2014, but no one ever responded to it. That is really a shame, cause it seems a pretty nice idea (just like the perron version). I definitely am going to play with this tomorrow.

1 hour ago, legolijntje said:

you can always come by the LDraw forums to ask for help

I am using an older Ubuntu version on my notebook (Trusty Tahr) which has lots of problems with Wine - on my desktops I use Mint 18.3 (Xenial Xerus) with much less problems. One of these days I'll try LDCad there, see what it does.

47 minutes ago, Simon said:

The peeron_to_MLCad link turned out to be pretty interesting, have you ever checked LdSetsConversion?

Now you mention it, I can vaguely remember using LdSetsConversion a few years ago. But I forgot about it, completely missed it on the peeron_to_MLCad site too :rolleyes: When googling it, I even found posts from myself on the LDraw forums. :lol:
Thing is, it converts to LDraw and not to LDD which the original question was. Of course, you can import LDraw into LDD, but in that case you gotta be sure there are no clashing parts.

47 minutes ago, Simon said:

I am using an older Ubuntu version on my notebook (Trusty Tahr) which has lots of problems with Wine - on my desktops I use Mint 18.3 (Xenial Xerus) with much less problems. One of these days I'll try LDCad there, see what it does.

There is a native Linux version available, so you don't need Wine right? But, I'm not really a Linux guy, so what do I know? ;)
It's completely off-topic anyway.