Turbo8702

NOT Counting Official B-Models as Alternate Builds

Question

One small fix that would be easy to make is to change what is listed as an alternate build for a certain set on that set's page. For example, with 31059 Sunset Street Bike, the Official B-models are counted as alternate builds. So on the set's "alternate builds" tab, it says that there are 10 alternate builds, but in reality there are only 8 with 2 B-models. Again, this is only on the set's page, 31059 > alternate builds, not on the MOCs > alternate builds > Creator > 2016 tab. Going through the MOCs > alternate builds > Creator > 2016 the 31059 alternate builds are listed correctly as 8. The same is true for set 31027 Blue Racer. On 31027's page, it says there are 137 alternate builds, when in reality there are 134 alternates (plus one modification) and and two B-models.

IMO all B-models should not be counted as alternate builds. 

6 answers to this question

Hi, Turbo;

it depends on your definition of "alternate build". B-models are different models build with the same set of bricks, so they basically *are* alternate builds, but they are designed by LEGO. Now, if you are only interested in MOCs (ie not designed by lEGO), you could search the MOCs and never see the B-models. However, others might just want to know what other things can build when they bought a set, and those members, when they search sets, do want to see the B-models referenced.

So you are right that we are a little inconsistant in using the term "alternate build" (in sets we include B-models, in MOCs we don't), but there is a good reason for it (we want to serve all kinds of members).

Take care,
Simon

For my part, I usually only want to see official sets. I wish there was a way to not include the alternate builds from box pictures that were entered into the database when browsing sets.

2 hours ago, Simon said:

Hi, Turbo;

it depends on your definition of "alternate build". B-models are different models build with the same set of bricks, so they basically *are* alternate builds, but they are designed by LEGO. Now, if you are only interested in MOCs (ie not designed by lEGO), you could search the MOCs and never see the B-models. However, others might just want to know what other things can build when they bought a set, and those members, when they search sets, do want to see the B-models referenced.

So you are right that we are a little inconsistant in using the term "alternate build" (in sets we include B-models, in MOCs we don't), but there is a good reason for it (we want to serve all kinds of members).

Take care,
Simon

Thank you. That makes sense.

1 hour ago, Vokhev said:

For my part, I usually only want to see official sets. I wish there was a way to not include the alternate builds from box pictures that were entered into the database when browsing sets.

I would agree with you, but Simon has a good point that having them there could serve a purpose to users who organize their collections differently. Maybe someday there could be an option to include or exclude the box alternates in settings.