Vokhev

Inventory change notification

Question

I think it would be great to have  the option to get an email warning us when the inventory of a set we own is modified. Ideally, the mail would tell us exactly what was added and/or removed but I don't know if that's possible.

When you buy a set new and just add it to your list, the impact of a change to the inventory is minor. Usually, it will only make your inventory more accurate after the change. Though you could end up with inaccuracies with the spare parts either because you actually got what was in the previous inventory or if you had assumed your copy was just off and adjusted your inventory to compensate. So the warning could be useful there.

But where it would really be great is for collectors who reconstitute old sets from parts. If I've marked a set as owned because I have all the parts in the inventory but suddenly that inventory changes, my inventory is now inaccurate and I will never know it. If I got a warning, (especially if the specific changes are indicated) I could then adjust accordingly.

Obviously, there should be the option to deactivate this email in your profile for those who don't care about that level of detail.

16 answers to this question

I hadn't really looked at the change log in detail before and never realized you could expand it to see the details. That seems to be plenty of info.

I also thought it would be something like once a day, kinda like the forum. In my experience something manual like a "send mail" button is a chance for human error and might be forgotten. I prefer to sometimes get a mail about an added comma but never miss an inventory adjustment, especially since only those who opt-in will get it. Maybe something in between would be a "send mail" checkbox next to the save button that is checked by default. That way, you have the option of not sending a mail but sending one doesn't require an action. Still you're the ones who do the job so I will trust your judgment on this.

3 hours ago, Vokhev said:

I think it would be great to have  the option to get an email warning us when the inventory of a set we own is modified. Ideally, the mail would tell us exactly what was added and/or removed but I don't know if that's possible.

The easiest way to do that would be simply mailing a link to the change log of the set, or in text a copy of the change log. But there should be a specific trigger for the mail. When I add spare parts to a set, that could be 5-50 possible mails. So maybe a 'Send Mail'-button for the admins?

I was thinking the same thing: the change-log already facilitates searching for a specific set, so a link like this:

https://rebrickable.com/changes/?search_id=215-2&model=&search_user=&action=

if emailed to all users that own this set, would give full access to all changes made (recently and earlier).

Having this available as an admin, means that I can also use it pro-actively: if I am about to change a set, I can announce it in the description, which would also create an entry in the change-log, and then email a link to that log-entry to each user .

(If they have chosen to receive those emails)

@Vokhev  - would that be good enough for you?

To be sure, a Send Mail button would also solve the problem of cosmetic changes, for example removing a comma from the set-name, or adding a small remark to the set-notes. I presume most people would not want those changes to trigger an email alert.

Finally, I think the option to receive such emails (in the user profile) should by default be off, so only folks that actively change that option, would receive such emails.

I had considered that in the past but there were too many changes happening then. Might be worth revisiting now. 

And yes, definitely an off by default option. 

Rather than having a manual button could the emails be scheduled. If they are sent a fixed time (eg 2 hours) after the first change is made then there should be plenty of time for additional changes to be completed. We use something similar to this at work (not LEGO related) and it works well.

Sorry, I didn't mean to tread on any toes.

I thought adding a button you would need to click to send the email would be an extra task for you, while if it was automated you wouldn't need to worry about it. The time limit could be set far higher for instance if it was 24 hours then no one would get more than one email a day for each set advising them that a change had been made.

I guess it's a compromise between admin workload, number of emails sent and ensuring that users get a timely notification of a change even if there are other outstanding changes.

Edited by slangivar

5 hours ago, slangivar said:

I thought adding a button you would need to click to send the email would be an extra task for you, while if it was automated you wouldn't need to worry about it. The time limit could be set far higher for instance if it was 24 hours then no one would get more than one email a day for each set advising them that a change had been made.

I guess it's a compromise between admin workload, number of emails sent and ensuring that users get a timely notification of a change even if there are other outstanding changes.

All things considered I think I prefer an admin button. Just so people don't get spammed for minor stuff. With the add of a simple textbox where we can put some info on what the change is, so users don't have to dig through the change log. I believe the extra work for us admins is worth it.

6 hours ago, slangivar said:

No, man, no problem at all - smile- we're among friends, here...

1 minute ago, TobyMac said:

With the add of a simple textbox where we can put some info on what the change is, so users don't have to dig through the change log.

Agreed. Good idea!

If I'm going to do it, it will most likely just be a scheduled time each day that simply detects if a change has been made or not without further details in the email, other than perhaps a link to the filtered Change Log. The Change Log should be enough, if it's not I'd prefer to focus on making that easier and more useful.

I'm currently going over my Lego collection, and it's both an exciting and daunting task. I would just like to voice my opinion here:

Notifications for changes in both owned sets and when a major change is done to parts owned (e.g. deleted or divided into a/b) is, in my eyes, a pretty important feature. I am manually adding all the sets and parts I own, and considering the time and work this takes, it would be pretty devastating if after a couple of weeks my entire part collection is inaccurate. It would feel like all this was for naught.

However, I would also like to say that mail notifications might not be the best way to do this (?). You guys have made a nice new notification center at the rebrickable site, why not just keep it there and like that it would not feel so much as "spam". I don't know about you, but when I Lego, I Lego. But when I don't, mails about Lego will be ignored until it's time to Lego again, and at that time I would just go to the Rebrickable site anyway and check the notifications there.

Thanks for reading my wall of text :)

2 minutes ago, Lant1 said:

You guys have made a nice new notification center at the rebrickable site, why not just keep it there and like that it would not feel so much as "spam"

Good idea. And then turn of mail notifications that you have a new pm for that type of messages. Or in a different folder in the pm system to keep the inbox ordened.

Leaves the 'when to send message' question open. I prefer something were we as admin hit a button when we are done with the changes, so only 1 message is sent, and only when it's a major change (what is major is another discussion). Adding spare parts otherwise could trigger easily 10 messages.

7 minutes ago, TobyMac said:

Leaves the 'when to send message' question open. I prefer something were we as admin hit a button when we are done with the changes, so only 1 message is sent, and only when it's a major change (what is major is another discussion). Adding spare parts otherwise could trigger easily 10 messages.

What about a notification of all the changes relevant to the user in the last 24 hours, set to automatically send out at 00:00 or something (similar to what Slangivar suggested earlier)?

That's what I thought also. If there is a way to trigger the mail only on changes that affect the inventory, that would be perfect.

3 hours ago, slangivar said:

We use something similar to this at work (not LEGO related) and it works well.

It might function well in a work environment, but please remember, the admins are volunteers, and we are doing this in our spare time. Sometimes we have a lot of it, sometimes we don't. And then it can take much longer before a set is completely updated.

Furthermore, it would not solve the problem of cosmetic changes, or allow sending a alert before a change is made.