Dustin

Builds from custom parts lists

Is there a way to figure out what you can build from only a custom parts list?  For example, I bought a bunch of parts at a garage sale but I have no idea what sets they came from.  It would be nice if I could put them into a custom part list and Rebrickable can tell me what sets can be built using only the parts from this list.  The one with the highest % would more than likely be the source.

That is possible:
Export the custom list into a .csv file
Import the .csv file into a new part list
Turn all other part- and set-lists off for use in the calculation

Must have missed this question when it was posted...

I have done this dozens of times, buy a box of unsorted, second-hand bricks and then try to find out to which sets those brick originally belonged, because trying to find those sets is actually a whole lot of fun, and it is a great way to learn more about the history of LEGO.

In my experience the best way is, obviously, to sort all the parts and enter them into a part list, but while sorting, I do try to find what could be called marker parts. These are parts that are unique for a particular set. Rare parts, only used in 1 to 3 sets, are also very valuable for the research.

Parts with stickers on them are usually markers, but so can be special elements, like crane hooks and such, and minfig faces and torsos. Many printed parts are not markers, but they can steer you in the right direction. Rare parts need some additional deduction, as you need to look at all the sets that contain that rare part, and then find other parts that only live on one of the sets, and not in the others. Once you find a few of those, you can be reasonably certain that you found the right set.

Only then I come back to Rebrickable to see what bricks my part list is missing for that particular set.

Take care,
Simon