sixthofsix

Didital Parts Library

Hello!

I'm rather new here, so...hello! I've just come from your main site, and I am boggled by the level of organization and parts you have on file! I noticed that most of the renders accompanying parts are digtally done. Were these taken from pre-existing shots, or were these from private 3D collections. I'd be very interested in knowing, for I'm always forced to compromise when creating models with my software, since my own library has many, many holes in it. Thank you!

Lego provides these today, the older ones are mostly from Ldraw part library.

Hi, sixthofsix, and welcome to the forum.

On each Part Details page, we show three images: an Element image, which we get directly from LEGO; and LDraw rendering, from the latest LDraw library at LDraw.org, and a Photo submitted by one of our users. The thumbnails for all the inventories are generated automatically, but the Admin team can determine which of the three images is used for the thumbnail. If we don't have any images, we add a Similar Image relationship, which is used to display a related part image with a small text overlay.

Hope this answers your question, if not, ask away...
Simon

Thank you for your responses, biodreamer and Simon! Does this mean that most of the newer renderings directly from LEGO (Element) aren't created from an available 3D parts library? I did see that most parts do have an LDraw library reference link, but many of them don't seem to match-up to the right part in LDraw's parts tracker.

For example: https://rebrickable.com/parts/15744/ornate-carriage-wheel-432mm/ 

I fear you are correct - creating new parts in LDraw seems to be a pretty complicated task, so it always takes a while before an LDraw part definition becomes available. Which is why, for newer parts, we rely mostly on LEGO images.

The Ldraw link is generated automatically based upon the Rebrickable part number, and if we want to change that, we need to manually add the right LDraw part number. For older parts these links are mostly correct, but for newer parts, I fear, they are not. And if we have a good LEGO image, the LDraw link is of low priority.

However, if you or anyone else finds an corresponding LDraw part for which our link is incorrect, then please take a minute to submit a Change Request, and we will take care of the update.

Yeah the ldraw format is really old, it's from what 1995? if people could easily export from a tool like blender,  3d Studio  Max or Maya with texture and material intact we would have a modern community part library.