thorsonfamily

New here - A few questions..

Question

Hello,

My wife and I have started cataloging our lego into the site and am really enjoying everything!

I have a question I was hoping to ask - I apologize if they are answered elsewhere - I did search the best I could.

We have a few sets we are keeping built which I have added to collection .  After adding them to the collection I attempt to mark them as built however they always only have 98.3% of the pieces for the build.  The site warns we my inventory is out.  AM I doing something wrong here?  After marking the site as built it states I have -#% of the pieces needed to build.  Have I added this incorrectly?  and if so does this mean I have thrown off my inventory by marking them built at the 98.3%?  Thanks in advance!

10 answers to this question

You can add sets two ways either by just going to a set and add it to your collection. In that case all parts will be added to your collection so if you have lost any you will have to go in and add those to lost parts.

The other way is to first inventory all your parts and add them to lose parts, and from there use only the loose parts to run a build. if the set comes up at 100% you can open it to see a a combine into a set option. This will take your loose parts out, while adding the set to your set list.so your part are now in the set rather then being loose.

13 hours ago, biodreamer said:

You can add sets two ways either by just going to a set and add it to your collection. In that case all parts will be added to your collection so if you have lost any you will have to go in and add those to lost parts.

The other way is to first inventory all your parts and add them to lose parts, and from there use only the loose parts to run a build. if the set comes up at 100% you can open it to see a a combine into a set option. This will take your loose parts out, while adding the set to your set list.so your part are now in the set rather then being loose.

Thanks for the reply!  I have added my sets the first way you mention and have experienced the issue I was looking for advice on.  To clarify:

I have added my sets by searching up the set and clicking the add button.  Once adding the set I go to mark it as built at which point it states I do not have all the pieces.  I still mark it as built and when I view the set it states I have negative pieces to build it.  My question is why it does not add all the pieces when I say I own the set?

Well I think it's because when you look at a set the % of part to build them with is based on whats available. and if it has been marked built those parts are no longer available. Maybe the number your seeing is how much your missing to build a second copy. while still having the marked sets built.

I haven't used the mark built feature but the logic above is how it treats other features which change available bricks. such as the "don't use in build" flag.

7 minutes ago, biodreamer said:

Well I think it's because when you look at a set the % of part to build them with is based on whats available. and if it has been marked built those parts are no longer available. Maybe the number your seeing is how much your missing to build a second copy. while still having the marked sets built.

I haven't used the mark built feature but the logic above is how it treats other features which change available bricks. such as the "don't use in build" flag.

Thanks again, I appreciate your help trying to get to the bottom of this but I think we are on two different pages.  When I state I have a set and enter it into my collection I would expect that I would have 100% of the pieces to build it.  Instead - every time I enter a set it says I only have 98% of the pieces.  This doesn't make sense.  Why does it not allocate all the pieces in the set and furthermore which pieces is it not adding to my collection.  When I mark the set as built I am left a negative number.  At no time should the system allow a negative number.  If I have none of the pieces I should have 0%.  It is not possible to have less than none of the pieces. Perhaps I am using the system wrong but I do not see how.  It is set up intuitively - just does not work as expected.

10 hours ago, thorsonfamily said:

Thanks again, I appreciate your help trying to get to the bottom of this but I think we are on two different pages.  When I state I have a set and enter it into my collection I would expect that I would have 100% of the pieces to build it.  Instead - every time I enter a set it says I only have 98% of the pieces.  This doesn't make sense.  Why does it not allocate all the pieces in the set and furthermore which pieces is it not adding to my collection.  When I mark the set as built I am left a negative number.  At no time should the system allow a negative number.  If I have none of the pieces I should have 0%.  It is not possible to have less than none of the pieces. Perhaps I am using the system wrong but I do not see how.  It is set up intuitively - just does not work as expected.

Ignoring the "I have this set built" option, if you add a set to your collection it should say you have 100% of the parts to build it. What set are you talking about? It might be an issue with the inventory having an inactive part or something odd like that.

Folks, maybe the following will help.

Usually, this is the way I (and I presume others) use Rebrickable:

You have a set, search for it, and then you add the set to a set list. The system will then add the parts in that set to your LEGO collection. If you have loose parts, you can enter them into a part list, and those parts are also added to your LEGO collection.

If you perform a build (menu > build) the system presumes you want to use your entire LEGO collection for building purposes. When you look at other sets, it works the same, the percentage is based upon your entire LEGO collection.

Sometimes, you don't want the system to use your entire LEGO collection. The first (historically) solution to this problem was multiple set- and part-lists, and check boxes that allow you to select which list or lists to use in build calculations. This meant that your could have a set list of sets you wanted to keep on display (and their parts would not be used in build calculations) and another set list for set that were taken apart, and could be used for build computation.

The Mark as Build option was only added recently. IT PRESUMES THAT THE SET IS IN ONE OF YOUR SET LISTS, or YOU HAVE ALL THE PARTS IN YOUR PART LISTS. It then removes the parts of that particular set from the build calculation. The next is important - you can still mark a set as Build, even when you do not have all the parts.

Now here's what I think happened (Thornson Family please correct me if I am wrong): if you add the parts of a set to a set list, and you forget a few parts, the system might say you have 98% of the set. If you then Mark it as Build, all your parts are subtracted from the buil calculation, and the system shows you -2% because you are still missing a few parts. It looks weird, but it is accurate.

Solution: remove the Mark as Build, and delete the parts entered for that particular set. If you only entered parts, then, perhaps, remove all of them. Then find the sets and add them to a set list. This will add all the parts in that set to your collection. Once added, you'll have 100% of the part, and you can Mark the set as Build.

Hope this works,

Take care,
Simon

UPDATE: Hold on - I am seeing the same weird thing in my own set list - a set I have in a set list gives me 95.6%.... this might be something else... am checking....

OK problem solved (at least for me) - for a few sets, I had added a lost part: for those sets, the system indicates less then 100%, which makes sense, cause I am missing a part. The other sets show 100%, always.

Thornson Family - did you add a few lost parts?

5 hours ago, Simon said:

You have a set, search for it, and then you add the set to a set list. The system will then add the parts in that set to your LEGO collection. If you have loose parts, you can enter them into a part list, and those parts are also added to your LEGO collection.

If you perform a build (menu > build) the system presumes you want to use your entire LEGO collection for building purposes. When you look at other sets, it works the same, the percentage is based upon your entire LEGO collection.

Sometimes, you don't want the system to use your entire LEGO collection. The first (historically) solution to this problem was multiple set- and part-lists, and check boxes that allow you to select which list or lists to use in build calculations. This meant that your could have a set list of sets you wanted to keep on display (and their parts would not be used in build calculations) and another set list for set that were taken apart, and could be used for build computation.

The Mark as Build option was only added recently. IT PRESUMES THAT THE SET IS IN ONE OF YOUR SET LISTS, or YOU HAVE ALL THE PARTS IN YOUR PART LISTS. It then removes the parts of that particular set from the build calculation. The next is important - you can still mark a set as Build, even when you do not have all the parts.

Now here's what I think happened (Thornson Family please correct me if I am wrong): if you add the parts of a set to a set list, and you forget a few parts, the system might say you have 98% of the set. If you then Mark it as Build, all your parts are subtracted from the buil calculation, and the system shows you -2% because you are still missing a few parts. It looks weird, but it is accurate.

Solution: remove the Mark as Build, and delete the parts entered for that particular set. If you only entered parts, then, perhaps, remove all of them. Then find the sets and add them to a set list. This will add all the parts in that set to your collection. Once added, you'll have 100% of the part, and you can Mark the set as Build.

Hope this works,

Take care,
Simon

UPDATE: Hold on - I am seeing the same weird thing in my own set list - a set I have in a set list gives me 95.6%.... this might be something else... am checking....

OK problem solved (at least for me) - for a few sets, I had added a lost part: for those sets, the system indicates less then 100%, which makes sense, cause I am missing a part. The other sets show 100%, always.

Hey Simon, thanks for the help!  I have not added any missing parts so I don't think that is it.  I have to head to work shortly here but will try what you mentioned above tonight - I have removed all my sets for the time being so I have a clean slate to start with.  If I find the same issues I think I will make a quick video showing what I'm doing so things are a little clearer.  I assume its user(me) error :).

6 hours ago, Simon said:

Hope this works,

Take care,
Simon

Hey Simon, thanks for the help!  I have not added any missing parts so I don't think that is it.  I have to head to work shortly here but will try what you mentioned above tonight - I have removed all my sets for the time being so I have a clean slate to start with.  If I find the same issues I think I will make a quick video showing what I'm doing so things are a little clearer.  I assume its user(me) error :).

On 6/28/2018 at 1:00 PM, thorsonfamily said:

So to followup using the method you mentioned above worked well.  It dumped all the 'extra' pieces into the list as well but thats fine - I had already added them previous but because they had no location they were easy to delete.  In the future Ill let the set import them instead of hand keying them in.  Thanks for your help - still not sure what I was doing wrong but have no problem doing it a different way to get better results :)

Hi Thorsonfamily, 

did you check the "Use in build calculations" setting for the list, that you added the set to? If the list is set to not be used in build calcuations, the site will only use sets from other lists to calculate the percentage of available bricks, thus possibly showing a number lower than 100%.

Hope I could help, 

veritazx