Sign in to follow this  
pagicence

Weight of the MOC

Question

I think that it would be nice to see how much the MOC weighs. The weight calculation could be derived from parts list. The parts list already contains a count of each part used so it can easily give a total weight in grams. Every time I want to se how much something weighs I have to check the weight of each part on bricklink and then do calculations... it's a tedious job. So having this automated would be a huge advantage.

5 answers to this question

Since rebrickable doesn't have weight data on parts, that would first require that to be added and that is a lot of work. and you can't just take it from sites like bricklink. So I really don't see this coming any time soon.

On 7/17/2018 at 4:53 AM, biodreamer said:

Since rebrickable doesn't have weight data on parts, that would first require that to be added and that is a lot of work. and you can't just take it from sites like bricklink. So I really don't see this coming any time soon.

Exactly :) 

On 7/16/2018 at 8:53 PM, biodreamer said:

and you can't just take it from sites like bricklink.

May I ask: Why?

The bricklink API allows you to retrieve data on any part, including weight. Do you mean "can't" as in 'not allowed to' or "can't" as in 'would need to program something to do that'?

The rebrickable database for parts should be expanded to contain weight data (that could be refreshed every night) from bricklink. Then weight calculations wouldn't be too time consuming and could tell you the weight based on available data (like for the overall price). :)

There are both technical and practical limitations to implementing what OP asked.  

Technically: Item 3c of the bricklink API terms of use state "You shall not...Cache or store any Content..." - what was being suggested violates that TOU.

Practically: Not all parts are of a consistent weight, I just took a sample of 2x2 tiles and they weighed between .45g and .51g- so while it would be a close approximation, it potentially would be off by many grams.