VeritaZx

Parts in partlist that are not needed for the A-model

Question

Hi there,

I put all my old lego sets into Rebrickable and started sorting through two boxes of parts. I still had (hopefully) all instruction booklets and hoped to have complete assembled A-models at the end. I already separated the parts for some of the sets, marking the lost parts in rebrickable. Finally, I built the Highway Rig 5580-1 yesterday. At the end, I had parts left (supposedly for the B-model). As I want to put the A-models into a shelf and not build the B-models, it would have been good to know, which parts where intended for the B-model only. Is there any way to do this or is this worth a feature suggestion? In my case (and I understand that this is maybe not the standard) I do not need the spare parts stowed away. I'll gladly replace missing parts in other models with the B-model parts. But this will thwart my plan to sort through all parts and order the missing ones at the end before building the sets. But I clearly do not want to buy parts that then end up unused.

Thanks and have a nice day,

veritazx

Edited by VeritaZx

8 answers to this question

You can submit a set with inventory as a b-model. This has been done for several sets here.

Unfortunately there is no official LEGO source that has the inventories, like we have with a-models, so we are entirely depending on user submissions.

Thanks for your answer. I have seen the B-Model sets. Nice. But I do not really care about the B-Models. I just want the parts marked in the inventory of the orginal set, that will not be needed for the A-model. That info can't be taken out of the B-Model inventory, it would have to be added manually to the set inventory. Before suggesting this as a suggestion, I wanted to ask the forum if this was an idea at all (and check that I didn't overlook some simple solution).

Cheers,

veritazx

3 minutes ago, slangivar said:

I'm not too familiar with the way the older sets were sold. Some of the newer 3 in 1 sets have the primary model listed as a b model though ( eg https://rebrickable.com/sets/31052-1-b1/camper/#parts). Could the primary model for this set be created as 5580-1-b2 so that it's inventory can be saved?

Yeah that seem wrong that looks more like alternate inventory of the primary model. with a few mold changes and one part in another color.

However b-models should never be a primary model so the answer is No.

if you want to submit the "camper" parts only it would be 5580-1-s1 ie subset 1 of 5580-1

if you want to submit the "camper" parts only it would be 5580-1-s1 ie subset 1 of 5580-1

That would be possible for the old models too, right? So if I can spare the time, I'd add subsets for the A-models in cases where the complete inventory has more parts than the A-model inventory :) So no additional programming necessary. Solution found. Thanks :D

15 hours ago, VeritaZx said:

That would be possible for the old models too, right? So if I can spare the time, I'd add subsets for the A-models in cases where the complete inventory has more parts than the A-model inventory :) So no additional programming necessary. Solution found. Thanks :D

Any model that is a single subset, if the A model is multiple subset each should be submitted with their own inventory.. The 5580 seem to have plenty of small stuff around the camper which each would be a subset.

On 8/10/2018 at 10:35 PM, biodreamer said:

Any model that is a single subset, if the A model is multiple subset each should be submitted with their own inventory.. The 5580 seem to have plenty of small stuff around the camper which each would be a subset.

How would you suggest that he camper and all the small items which go with it are listed then? The camper along with trailer, small boat, bear, etc are all part of the first of the three models in the instructions. It would make sense for me for each of the bear, tree, boat, etc to be subsets of the model not the set (eg 31052-1-b1-s1)

On 8/14/2018 at 11:13 AM, slangivar said:

How would you suggest that he camper and all the small items which go with it are listed then? The camper along with trailer, small boat, bear, etc are all part of the first of the three models in the instructions. It would make sense for me for each of the bear, tree, boat, etc to be subsets of the model not the set (eg 31052-1-b1-s1)

Personally I would see that the inventory of a set was the A model and that any parts only used in B-models would be in the spare parts. However that's not how Rebrickable has defined it.

How I would solve it would be to rework how the site is using subsets, which would be quite a work package for Nathan. Then have a kind of model tree for each set where you could break out the inventory at each branch level. So in the root you would basically only have subsets while in the leaves you would have the parts. each branch level would have a cached summery of the inventory that is a summery of the above leaves.

but right now I would simply leave it as it is or submit all those subsets and then simply use one of the tools to combine them into a list of required parts.