Eddy

Part pictures

Just a stupid question from me, why are good pictures with a white background replaced by pictures with gray and green baseplates in the background, now it begins to look a lot like peeron.

If i'm right the rules are very clear try to get a background as white as possible.

I know my pics are not always the best but my camera hates LED light and makes the background some times darker and some times verylight blue, i can not do anything about that but i try to get them as white as possible.

Can someone explain why the pics are replaced, and if the rules are changed can that be mentioned somewhere.

Ok it is very good for the points you earn but is it necesary to replace good pictures??

9 hours ago, Eddy said:

Just a stupid question from me, why are good pictures with a white background replaced by pictures with gray and green baseplates in the background, now it begins to look a lot like peeron.

If i'm right the rules are very clear try to get a background as white as possible.

Can someone explain why the pics are replaced, and if the rules are changed can that be mentioned somewhere.

Ok it is very good for the points you earn but is it necesary to replace good pictures??

Hi Eddy,

You are correct about the white background. It is preferred, the aim is to have part photos look as much like Element ID pictures as possible. Nothing has changed there.

We have a user who has an existing large collection of photos on the gray background which is why there's a significant amount of changes recently (probably around 1000 so far).

The white background is being overlooked for select parts where the parts on the gray background are a better representation of the part, either a clearer print, or better color balance so the color of the part looks truer. All part photos are being kept and the old photos get added as secondary photos.

A decision is made on a photo by photo basis. Not all gray BG photos have replaced the existing photo. If you ever see one that looks better and you think we've changed it in error please let us know and we can change it back, no problem.

Changes to the photo's do not effect your points, they are not taken away if your photo get moved to secondary so no need to worry on that front.

Thanks, and keep yours coming. We're a community and we only get better the more we all participate.

Jared

Then it is a pitty is see more and more parts appear with baseplate background and that are not white and Trans clear parts but just red/ blue/ black and on and on.

So as it now goes there is no urgency anymore to make them with white background because a lot are already with the baseplate background.

And everybody can submit them without concerning the background that is what it is meaning now, as i was referring "it's beginning to look a lot like peeron" sing it like the Christmas song.

Yes i make a joke out of it but i'm dead serous, if there are rules then they are for everybody, lets say that was made very clear to me a half year ago.

7 hours ago, Eddy said:

Yes i make a joke out of it but i'm dead serous, if there are rules then they are for everybody, lets say that was made very clear to me a half year ago.

All we are trying to do, just as you are, and just as every other member/visitor to our website, is to make it easy to be a fan of Lego. spend time building things instead of finding which part is which.

I can't comment on what happened a year ago, I wasn't an admin then. But I can say even though the White Background has always been and currently is a rule, it has always been moderately flexible judging by the number of photos we have that don't adhere to the white background rule. The member who is submitting the photos has added countless images to parts that had none, no Element ID pic, no LDraw, no photos, those parts can now be more accurate and easier to find for everyone. We're incredibly fortunate and grateful we have users that can offer us time and effort to help us provide a better resource for everyone, whether it be them with their gray BG or you with all you do for this site. The vast majority of our parts use Element ID pics or LDraw Images when appearing in Inventores and those that don't have photos that still have a white background (if they have a photo at all). We're not talking about a Gray Background Photo Takeover. 

If a better quality photo is submitted on a white BG it will take Primary position.

It is obvious you are taking this serious and I'm sorry if you feel slighted by some of your photos being replaced but like I said before, its a judgement on a photo-by-photo basis. If you think we're every wrong about the quality of a photo we can have a second look, it's not a problem.

As an explanation of the laxing the rule in this case (and on this volume) is that these photos are a decade old. The user took them a long time ago and found them on diskettes. Their Lego collection is deep in storage and it is not possible for them to easily or quickly retake the thousands of photos they have on Gray with a White Background. They offered us their collection of photos (and catalogue scans) which we determined were a too good of a resource to refuse. It's a case of special circumstance meeting good quality photos.

3 hours ago, jaredhinton said:

I can't comment on what happened a year ago, I wasn't an admin then.

That was in May and extreme rude for me, just read the topic, if such a statement is made then it must be for everybody, they wanted to set an example for everybody to hold you on the rules and they took me to do that, that is why i can not accept the way of the picture now, very simple i think.

If the rules are bend then the comment from last May is even more unreasonable, manly because after that other users did the same and these minfig changes were just executed without any  questions ore comments. 

Yes what can i say i see more and more good pictures disappear and are replaced by baseplate versions.

Second they do not even fit the minimum  size that is required many have white borders to fit the square.

look here Bear, picture is replaced and to smal for the dark orange version, many are to small.

Arch 6060 red there is no need to do that on a baseplate, many are replaced or done now on this way and looking bad.

This is what i mean but hé if that is the way it is wanted then i can only say why are there rules.

If you ask me i can make of every part pics on a white background i have over 25000 different ones.

I have only done the ones without a pic and that are on this moment about 2500 and still around 60 have to be uploaded this week.

But if they are going to be replaced i do not see the point in spending more time in it to do so, every picture takes about 20 to 25 minutes till it is online, it takes a lot of time and if you see them replaced by for me Peeron pics.

Some pics are done 6 to 7 times before the look reasonable to upload.

14 hours ago, Eddy said:

look here Bear, picture is replaced

The bear photo you talked about it vastly superior to the original, it shows a truer colored Dark Orange Bear. That is actually a good example of what I'm talking about when I say its a photo-by-photo decision. On that same part the Brown colored bear still uses the original photo even though a gray baseplate photo was submitted because the original is a good enough photo and represents the part and color correctly.

14 hours ago, Eddy said:

Arch 6060 red there is no need to do that on a baseplate

This part (6060) had no photos on it. Now it does, I fail to see how that is a bad thing? You're right there's no reason to do that on a baseplate, but like I already explained, the member, a long time ago put them on a baseplate. They had no way of knowing our submission criteria back then as we didn't have one.

We understand it takes time to upload photos, it takes us Admins just as much sorting them out, but we do it to make our community better. If you're uploading photos for the glory of having your photo on the website then I'd say you're doing it for the wrong reasons. You're photos might always get replaced by better ones, that's the nature of a community of almost 200,000 people. There are hundreds of photos that could be improved upon, including the gray baseplate photos. Give us as good photos on White and they'll be replaced.

This will be my last reply to this post, I have nothing more I can say on the matter. Again, I'm sorry you're annoyed and I hope you aren't discouraged by this issue.

No this is also my last and my last submission, if i'm doing things for nothing then i'm completely finished with it..

a few months ago, while I was updating my sets list here, I submitted hundreds of pictures which were missing. Definitely, I'm not a good photographer and I trust the admin judgement to replace all the pictures for a different ones, that might be submitted later. I did my best, if someone do it better... great.
Dear Eddy, with all my respect, this is a minor issue, just a detail that should not prevent you to continue to give us your cooperation. This site have some many great functions, and its greatness is due to the good will of all users.

Edited by Diniz Vilhena

On 9/19/2018 at 9:40 AM, Diniz Vilhena said:

a few months ago, while I was updating my sets list here, I submitted hundreds of pictures which were missing. Definitely, I'm not a good photographer and I trust the admin judgement to replace all the pictures for a different ones, that might be submitted later. I did my best, if someone do it better... great.
Dear Eddy, with all my respect, this is a minor issue, just a detail that should not prevent you to continue to give us your cooperation. This site have some many great functions, and its greatness is due to the good will of all users.

i think he did not get you're answer, he did close his forum account for the time being, and terminated his test accounts.

You can only reach him on the normal website, most users know who he is on the website

There is going something wrong I did close my forum mailbox but i'm suddenly getting emails from the forum again.

Superboy just leave me out of you’re personal vendicta against the website.

I get a very bad name out of you, i was also very mistaken to post you’re comments on the forum(also to open a bug for you) i thought you were doing it to with real good intentions, but it seems not to be, you are only looking for a fight, don’t use me for that.

Also when i tell you something and ask not to use it, and you then you use it against me, yes what can I say, it thought it was friendship what you were looking for, but you used me for you’re personal vendicta.

It is ok that you are willing to take up for injustice, but you have to know when to stop and now you’re already doing it for over 6 months now just stop, if non of the admins is saying it then I will.

I did contact the Dutch police what to do and if I could stop you, but they say it is a matter of the admins to stop you, there is no law to stop you, only advice the did give change you’re email  an phone number, so I did.

And do not contact me anymore, do not call and never visit me again maybe you understand on this way in public.

And for the admins can you stop him turn of his ability to open ore post comments is the best way i think.