TobyMac

LDraw line images

Question

Offtooic, so I made a new topic.

I'm currently sorting my kids LEGO. I have a lot of containers with parts, that I need to label. Is it possible to render LDraw images like it is a drawing for a coloring book? Example:

30372.png

Quality doesn't have to be high. The labels will be max 3cm high

1 minute ago, Simon said:

Those were not in the download above, were they?

No. That's all copy and paste in Word. My children need to work with it, so Dutch was a better option.

Not very practical to have boxed stacked that high, you would have to pull out the whole stack to reach some of it. drawers or shelves would reduce the stack size to 2-3 which are more manageable. other then that it seem like a cheap way of manage a collection, you can easily make shelves to that layout. seem a bit odd that all boxes end up being the same size...  I keep having to move parts from one size to the next because the number of parts keep increasing. if you had used a bookshelves it would have been similar to how i stack my boxes. Except that I have multiple sizes of boxes where the smallest is about the same size as yours going up from there.

15 minutes ago, biodreamer said:

you would have to pull out the whole stack to reach some of it.

I will have to anyway, because the stacks are 2 deep. With extra shelves the room to get the stacks behind becomes cramped. I don't have the room have a 1 deep layout unfortunately.

16 minutes ago, biodreamer said:

seem a bit odd that all boxes end up being the same size...

They are not. They are all between 500 and 1000 ml. The surface are all the same. The store I got them kept changing the height of the middle ones every time I had to get extras.

That's what drawers are for, reaching deeper stacked thing without moving the other from the original place. I don't have mine stacked on the depth. they are 25-50 cm deep boxes doubling that would be messy. I rather have something on wheel the day I end up with that many boxes. However all the small parts are in drawers with sorting boxes covering a whole other wall.

I've choosen this layout on my budget. And that has no room for drawers I'm afraid. (Rather spend it on more LEGO ? ). It also is not heavily used by my children. The main focus is being able to find any part quick, so they can build their sets or create something else. The previous setup was a couple of large bins, that made searching impossible.

Yeah the large bin is usually where everyone starts. it has one advantage beyond compact storage. it's a way to be innovative when free building. The more organised your collection become the less innovative will you become with your building. your building becomes more organised and structured as well.

Give me a pile of Lego and I will construct something I would never build with a organised collection.

1 minute ago, biodreamer said:

The more organised your collection become the less innovative will you become with your building.

I totally agree, and found out myself. I have organized all my part on part number, and the more organized I got, the more time I spend looking for a particular part. So, I bought five of six Classic sets, with all kinds of bricks in 30 or more colors, and those I've kept apart and sorted them on color only. Now I can just pick up two or three boxes with nice matching colors, and just start building with those bricks alone. Much more fun. Creativity blossoms best in poor soil.

8 hours ago, biodreamer said:

The more organised your collection become the less innovative will you become with your building

I have the exact opposite ? But that's probably because I don't MOC a lot. I don't have all parts in my head, I need to physical see them before me, to be able to use them. For my last MOC I needed to achieve some curves, so I pulled out all bins with curved parts and put them in a stack. Then when I see the parts, I can visualize how I can use them. 
I can't really work with a random pile, I need something structural because my head is chaos enough. I need an anchor to start. And a clear goal to work for.