LancasterUsedLegos

New to making MOCS - PLZ HELP

I have been looking for help on this topic for weeks now, any help is appreciated.

I used build on minecraft creative servers all the time and have been wanting to start using my designing ability to make and sell lego MOC designs. I made a chess set on LDD but after reaching out to LDD customer support it doesnt seem like im allowed to sell instructions made through their program. I am wondering what program i can use that allows their users to then sell the instructions to mocs they design on the program. I have Bricklinks Studio 2.0 but the last thing i want to do is redesign the whole chess set on their just to find out i dont have the right to sell instructions on studio 2.0 either. Please someone with experience selling their moc designs i would some help!

Read the software's EULA to know what you are allowed to do. if it doesn't say anything about selling your work you will be fine.

Hi, Lancaster?, welcome to the forum!

As far as I know, it is NOT completely clear, in a legal sense, what you are allowed to do with LEGO Digital Designer. The License Agreement for LDD 4.3 states:

You may:
(iv) use content created through use of the Software for any non-commercial purpose.

You may NOT:
(vii) use the Software or the backup copy for any commercial purpose;

There is a clear distinction between "using the Software" and "using content created through use of the Software", and as the above shows LEGO is aware of this distinction. However, the License Agreement does NOT explicitly prohibit the commercial use of the content created through use of the Software. As LEGO had the opportunity to prohibit the commercial use of content, and choose not to, I think you can legally claim you are NOT in violation whit the License Agreement when you sell instructions generated with LDD.

Then there is the Fair Use argument - if you simply convert the instructions generated by LDD into a PDF, you are NOT creating new content, and you can't legally claim a copyright on the PDF; after all, anybody who builds the same model in LDD and generates a instruction PDF would get an identical result. Remember that the design of a LEGO model cannot be copyrighted (LEGO has tried this dozens of times, and failed every time), only the instructions can be copyrighted, and only if they can be considered to be a "work of art", which means they have to be unique and of a certain complexity.

So, design some nice, good looking logo for yourself (do NOT use the LEGO logo ***EVER***), do not use the word LEGO anywhere in your instructions (you don't have to tell your buyers that it is a LEGO MOC... -smile-), and, if you really want to be sure, add some personal information; what is the MOC about, when and why did you design it, what tricks did you use, etc. The more personal you make those instructions, the more the Fair Use doctrine applies.

Take care,
Simon

Sound pretty clear to me. Your not allowed to earn money by using LDD and making instructions to sell would be a commercial purpose, if those are the terms so the customer service was right and some premium MOC authors on this site is breaking that EULA.