Diniz Vilhena

This part has been used by MOCs in the following colors but not officially released.

some parts description, have this line:
"This part has been used by MOCs in the following colors but not officially released."
If the part in that color was not officially released, how someone get one to build a MOC? home made ? :P
that color was unofficially released? what does it mean? tailor made by Lego, under request?
I really dont understand... yet

In LDD and Studio you can use ANY color for ANY part - use that in a MOC, and you get part/color combinations that were never released.

Does that make sense? -smile-

58 minutes ago, Diniz Vilhena said:

some parts description, have this line:
"This part has been used by MOCs in the following colors but not officially released."
If the part in that color was not officially released, how someone get one to build a MOC? home made ? :P
that color was unofficially released? what does it mean? tailor made by Lego, under request?
I really dont understand... yet

I believe you can buy non-official Lego in other colours (custom jobs), so if they actually build their MOC using that part in that color they aren't using Official Lego

There are also occasions where a part/coor combo never has been used in a set, but they did appear elsewhere like a PuckABrick wall, or leftovers from the large display items (like statues in LEFO Land etc) made by LEGO professionals. But that's rare. Whenever we come across suxh a combo, we add it to the part description.

1 hour ago, Simon said:

In LDD and Studio you can use ANY color for ANY part - use that in a MOC, and you get part/color combinations that were never released.

Does that make sense? -smile-

It does make sense, but if you make a MOC which cannot be executed the way you planned it...  it's just theoretical, right?

1 hour ago, jaredhinton said:

I believe you can buy non-official Lego in other colours (custom jobs), so if they actually build their MOC using that part in that color they aren't using Official Lego

so, if it's non-official Lego, is not Lego... or it is? If I get a white brick and paint it with another color spay, stills a Lego brick, ehehe

1 hour ago, TobyMac said:

There are also occasions where a part/coor combo never has been used in a set, but they did appear elsewhere like a PuckABrick wall, or leftovers from the large display items (like statues in LEFO Land etc) made by LEGO professionals. But that's rare. Whenever we come across suxh a combo, we add it to the part description.

that I understand... !! some parts in some exclusive colors can be made for especial events or constructions sponsored by TLG. 
But... (there is always a "but", damn), will be very hard to get that parts to build your MOC.

Thank you all for enlightening my mind :D

2 hours ago, Diniz Vilhena said:

It does make sense, but if you make a MOC which cannot be executed the way you planned it...  it's just theoretical, right?

Well, I have made similar mistakes (not that I am a MOC designer, but I do build with LDD and studio) - you are building a model with some old grey parts, and without noticing it, you use a newer part only available in bluish grey. If it happens to me, it could happen to others. Problem is, if I rebuild a MOC designed by some one else, I always change the colors, just to create something new. So for me it is not a problem.

Not a major problem but it's one that you as a User should be able to filter out. I think part that s proven to exist. ie there is a part picture in said color, it is fine in my opinion but parts that only exist in digital software is not.

I mean I can understand that you can have fun designing something in LDD or other software, but that fun doesn't really extend to the next person that picks it up and try to build it if it can't be built with physical bricks. so that kind of MOCS is like a half finished project at best.

I have an example of another potential cause: Mould variants may not be recorded accurately in set inventories.

I own some 32064c pieces (bought on BrickLink, so I don't know from where they originated). According to Rebrickable, that mould variant has never been used in a set. Seems like there are several mould variants, and only a specific one is listed in set inventories, even if some of the sets actually contained a different mould variant.

For 32064c, there are unfortunately not any images available on Rebrickable, so my inventory has "part error" and "no image available" for all colors of this variant.

Whenever you come across these cases in a set, let us know. It happens a lot that there are more than 1 mold in a set. In that case we can make a 2nd inventory version so the color/part errors disappear. And photos of part colors that have no image are also always welcome.

As soon as I find the actual pieces again, I could take and submit photos. I don't know which set originally contained the pieces. The photos would show up in part lists even with the part error remaining, right?

I have approved the photos, thanks. When you use the part in a MOC or set, the photo for that color will appear.
There is no other way (yet) to view all available photos without them being in a set or MOC.

Thank you. In my inventory, they all show up now, except for Light Gray. Did I miss to upload that color? If so, I will gladly submit that photo.

Edit: The picture is shown when I open the part summary. But it is not shown in my Part List.

Edited by sirjective1

I will check back in some time, to see if the issue resolves itself.

In the meantime, would it be a good idea to make a MOC with the parts, just for the sake of having them included and their photos shown on the part page? Or should I only make MOCs that would be interesting for other aspects except just containing unused parts?

Maybe there could be some generic sets that represent sources rather then sets, for those rare parts to be put into. A way to handle pick a brick selling etc...

If far as I understand it; there are three reasons for "color errors":

(a) - a part (or mold), in a certain color, was/is officially released AND used within sets, but our inventories are incorrect
    (b) - a part (or mold), in a certain color, was/is officially released AND NOT used within sets, so our inventories are correct; the part (or mold) in that color is probably quite rare
    (c) - a part (or mold), in a certain color, was/is NEVER officially released AND ONLY used within LDD/Studio MOCs, so the MOC inventory is incorrect; the part (or mold) in that color does not exist

Solution for (a): find at least a single set in which that part/color combination was used, and submit a Change Request

Solution for (b): we create a generic set (PickaBrick-1 ???) and members can add parts ONLY IF they submit a photograph of the part in a color that has not been used in sets

Solution for (c): post a comment to the MOC informing the designer of the error

Would that solve the immediate problems?

yes but lets separate modern pick a brick from the original pick a brick that existed in the 1950's with the slotted stuff and the HO cars, which remind me that I got a half dozen of those in my collection which I haven't added yet. I really want the photo + part submission in place for those, I have a feeling those are missing from the part lists.

A similar system will be used (probably) when I have finished adding all Modulex parts. I have been unablemto find any official sets for those parts. They came in boxes with a number of a certain part, but I can't find info on what was exactly in those boxes and if/how they are numbered.

I actually have only a few slotted brick it's one of the periods my collection doesn't cover but it must be some member who have a whole bunch of those. it's so hard to see if they are Lego clones or other brands clones. because that what Lego was back then a clone brand. either that or you have to pay to much for lets just say it low quality LEGO that isn't very useful for anything then nostalgia. 

13 minutes ago, Simon said:

PickaBrick-2, just for you!  LOL

I so should have -1 because I was first ? and it shows that pick a brick isn't a new idea. no but if you do it the oldest should have the lowest number. same as Legoland-1 should be parts from legoland in Denmark.