Pioneer4x4

Submitting Part Photographs

I have a couple of questions.

1 - I don't have any sticker sets to add, but I do have some that I kept the sheet after removing the stickers.  Would they be of any help? (I assume not, but can't hurt)

2 - I am trying to submit photos of parts that I have that are listed as having none, and I realize it is tedious, and not easy to get great shots of tiny parts.  The white background causes underexposure.  I will keep trying to make them better, and get a kick out of it.  So, the question, is a not great photo better than none?  Should I try to perfect my photos before submitting any?

3 - There are parts that have no photo, but don't show up in the search because they have other images, should I submit photos for those as well?

Hi pioneer,

1. I actually like to have even an empty sticker sheet so we can have an image of the number on it. I put one as a secondary photo with an explanation on the part. When we get a complete sheet we can just delete the empty one. (Another Admin may disagree with me about this, if so listen to them!)

2. I’d suggest getting the image as good as possible before submitting. What are you using to take pictures? Here’s some tips, take them outside, as close to midday as you can, and lastly don’t get too close, keep a distance and zoom in once you upload the photo, this helps with focus issues and lighting. I also put them on my computer to use a basic photo editor to adjust any bad exposure (be careful doing this though, you don’t want to effect how the colours look. It’s easy to make a part look unnatural if you play with it in post.

3. You can submit photos for whatever part in whatever colour you like. My only plea is that you make sure the picture your submitting is for something we either don’t have or your picture is better than what we have. It’s a lot of work for you to submit pictures and I feel bad rejecting them because they’re not better than what we have. 

Lastly I’d like to offer some guidance (most can be found on the photo submission page). Please submit a photo of the singular part. We like to have other angles of parts that have unusual elements to them or prints on various sides but for the main photo please make sure it’s just the most defining image of the singular part. You can submit more photos of other bits and we can use them as secondary photos.

Have the part in the center of the image, zoomed in as much as you can (I like to leave a small white boarder, couple of mil) and rotated the correct way. Can’t tell you how many photos I have to reject for having bad orientation and it’s depressing because we really want these photos. 

Dont get offended if we are slow to approve a photo, they are low priority for us and we get a lot but like I said, we really want them so keep submitting them. And also don’t be precious about them, if we get better pictures than yours in the future yours may get replaced, just the nature of a community maintained website, nothing personal. 

Hope all that helps,

Jared

That all helps very much.  I have many cameras and ways to do it.  I am trying to find something good to use as a background other then white paper/plastic/cardstock.  I realize lighting is key, and I'm not going to be outside taking pictures.  I recently found a cheap decent light for my closeup pictures, it is basically a square light halo for automobile fog lights, and it totally surrounds my SLR's (Nikon D5200) lens, so it is direct light, but no harsh shadow.  My main issue seems to be with underexposure due to the white background.  I may shoot manual and go from there.  I will only submit photos of parts that I don't see one for.

What do you mean by the "singular part"? 

Also what is best process for minifig heads or other parts with printing on opposite sides?  I would suggest 1 composite image that shows both sides.

And I love this site, period, it is extremely useful.

5 minutes ago, Pioneer4x4 said:

What do you mean by the "singular part"

One part per photo. We got some submissions where there were several of the same part in different angles on 1 photo. This looks messy in an inventory or search result. If it is of importance to show more angles of a part, please submit multiple photos.

Also when it comes to stickers and sticker sheets, paper, some cloth I would use a scanner if possible rather than a camera. They really don't need an angle or 3D effect..

On 11/5/2018 at 6:46 PM, TobyMac said:

One part per photo. We got some submissions where there were several of the same part in different angles on 1 photo. This looks messy in an inventory or search result. If it is of importance to show more angles of a part, please submit multiple photos.

When it comes to this I think it's more important that everything important is shown, so imo parts with double prints, mold differences that can't be shown in one angle should in fact have two shots in the same photo either merged. if you don't need to take shoots in two angles to show the whole part then it should only be one picture from the best angle to identify the part from. That's why I have submitted double entries in the past and would prefer to do so when I fell it being warrant.

The reason I think this is because photos work as evidence that a part exist in a specific  color + mold + part  combo. Leaving it out make it harder  to split future mold and to spot bad entries in the catalog. So unless the system allows multiple pictures per color, I don't see how we would keep the record straight.

1 hour ago, biodreamer said:

When it comes to this I think it's more important that everything important is shown, so imo parts with double prints, mold differences that can't be shown in one angle should in fact have two shots in the same photo either merged. if you don't need to take shoots in two angles to show the whole part then it should only be one picture from the best angle to identify the part from. That's why I have submitted double entries in the past and would prefer to do so when I fell it being warrant.

In case of double prints (heads, torsos etc) you are right. But we've gotten a lot of photos as well of standard, unprinted part with 2 or even more of the same part in 1 photo. In those cases it doesn't contribute anything, and only make it more chaotic. So when for identification it's not needed to have multiple angels, please have 1 part per photo, We can set the other angles as secondary photos so they are availible when needed but not 'in the way' so to speak.

3 hours ago, biodreamer said:

The reason I think this is because photos work as evidence that a part exist in a specific  color + mold + part  combo. Leaving it out make it harder  to split future mold and to spot bad entries in the catalog. So unless the system allows multiple pictures per color, I don't see how we would keep the record straight.

No one said leave out photos of other angles. Even if multiple photos are submitted for other angles they are all visible to users. So the primary photo being the front of a Torso doesn't stop you identifying the part if we have the back/sides in secondary photos. You can just look at those to determine what part you have. If you put all three angles in 1 photo the thumb on searches makes it almost impossible to actually see any of the print on any angle of the part, making it harder to identify which Torso you may have. That's my issue anyway.

Torsos isn't that much of a problem today most prints aren't reused. we still have molds and print reusage in the 80-90's to consider. and if you don't take a picture of them bottom you won't see which mold it was printed on. All these are usually fine since they are rarely printed on many colors. There is what four different torso molds out there which hasn't been mapped properly, by doing photos from all sources we would have that part fixed.

but for more basic parts with a lot  of colors, I think the underside is usually important to determine if a mold came in a specific color.

For regular brick a normal photo from above will not tell if a brick is mold type a b or c etc. and we don't want all parts taken from below only do we? The information gain through all combined data would make it possible to determine age and boundaries off said molds, without one collector owning all the parts themselves.

7 hours ago, biodreamer said:

For regular brick a normal photo from above will not tell if a brick is mold type a b or c etc. and we don't want all parts taken from below only do we? The information gain through all combined data would make it possible to determine age and boundaries off said molds, without one collector owning all the parts themselves.

That’s exactly why we have secondary photos. So we can have images of the more unique qualities of a part without making the thumb essentially useless by making it ‘too busy’. 

You don’t need the overview picture to tell you everything about the part, just the most basic image of it so you can find it quickly and then do further research if you wish. For most mold variations the thumbs would be too small to really determine the difference clearly anyway. 

Then take into account that most thumbs are element ids that show very little of a part, even if we had composit photos for all angles you’d still have to go to the part page to look at it. So if your there you may as well have clean images of singular angles of each interesting angle to look at. 

Theres really no reason to have the part in a photo more than once when we’re storing multiple photos for parts and colours. 

Part thumbnails are at default size tiny images (85x85 px), and at small size (Pro Feature) even smaller (about 50x50 px). If those thumbnails would contain multiple angles of the same part, creating combined images, the individual images would be so small it would be completely impossible to identify a part. Which is why we have chosen to use a Part Summary pop-up, which shows thumbnails of up to five molds or prints, and if you hover over each of those, the part name should clarify which mold or print is referenced. If you need more information, you can click on the part name (or the "see full Part Details page"-link) to see the part description with a comparison image (if we have one).

That system is designed for work for everybody, including those who are new to LEGO and have no idea about the very existence of different molds. Even though I myself am very interested in the different molds of a certain part, I can not and should not expect that others share that interest, and using thumbnails with multiple angles of basic bricks would make the system unnecessarily complicated for inexperienced users.

Therefor, in my opinion, our parts thumbnails should stay as they are, always showing a single part.

so which part has more then one photo right now? I would like to check how it works... I have seen some that has a extra in the description but never seen one that has more then one regular.

2 hours ago, biodreamer said:

so which part has more then one photo right now? I would like to check how it works... I have seen some that has a extra in the description but never seen one that has more then one regular.

This Torso has two images. There's actually quite a few parts with multiple images now. Our Users have really stepped up submitting photos and we are adding more everyday.

13 minutes ago, biodreamer said:

Why doesn't the extra photo show up here:

https://rebrickable.com/parts/973pr0090c01/torso-with-gold-crown-and-silver-armour-print-blue-arms-black-hands/72/

If we are going to deal with the mold issue they need to have multiple photos per color.

All photos are assigned to it's color. The secondary photo on the overview page is against DBG just like the primary photo for that color. (The first Primary photo submitted for a part in any color is the one that gets the image on the overview page).

You raise a good point about the secondary photos not showing on the color tab. That's something @Nathan will have to look into and see whats possible and if it's a feature users want.

I am a User and wants it if we going for one angle shots, I want all evidence of colors and mold to be public, not just knowledge just to approve an entry and then hidden. and as a admin you probably want it to make it easier to keep track of things like molds and trying to figure out what year they was added/removed so most user get the right molds in their sets. it does means a bigger photo database and storage but that keep getting cheaper and cheaper so it shouldn't be the major blocker.

9 hours ago, biodreamer said:

...not just knowledge just to approve an entry and then hidden. and as a admin you probably want it to make it easier to keep track of things like molds and trying to figure out what year they was added/removed so most user get the right molds in their sets. it does means a bigger photo database and storage but that keep getting cheaper and cheaper so it shouldn't be the major blocker.

I think you are misunderstanding. Nothing is hidden. No photos get hidden. All secondary photos for a part will appear on the part overview page. So if black, red, and yellow have secondary photos they’ll all appear there. Then the colours primary photo appears on the colour page. 

The issue is that the colours secondary photos aren’t visible on the colour page. They will still be visible on the overview page so although it’s not the perfect system you will be able to see all photos we have somewhere.

Okay, I will see if I can get some time to do some really old parts and mold, but I hope Nathan fix that color page to include only secondary image of that color.