Diniz Vilhena

rookie question...

I think it's so the head fits tightly and doesn't fall off while not getting stuck. At least that was my father's explanation when I asked him 37 years ago.

I think it's has something to do with printing pattern so the machine that put the arms in do it right. so you won't end up with minifigs with pattern on the back or arms the wrong way depending on how you see it. Machines are dumb they need black patterns like that to identify heading. it much easier then learning the machine all different prints.

Well that my theory...I have no way to confirm it but it makes sense to me.

On 11/15/2018 at 10:59 PM, Vokhev said:

I think it's so the head fits tightly and doesn't fall off while not getting stuck. At least that was my father's explanation when I asked him 37 years ago.

hmmm... your daddy might be right, but why just some of them? the ones without the neck printed, also stuck well

On 11/16/2018 at 2:27 AM, biodreamer said:

indeed makes sense... 
my own explanation is to break the nerves of some Lego users which don't like to see the painting getting ugly after taking out the heads a few times. It works to me...
image.png.1c3ba4029ec370046306fd02c20c3ac9.png

Edited by Diniz Vilhena

On 11/15/2018 at 6:27 PM, biodreamer said:

I think it's has something to do with printing pattern so the machine that put the arms in do it right. so you won't end up with minifigs with pattern on the back or arms the wrong way depending on how you see it. Machines are dumb they need black patterns like that to identify heading. it much easier then learning the machine all different prints.

That is correct. I remember seeing a lego video on youtube with the old harry potter figures. It was showing the torsos going into the machine to have arms added. If a sensor couldn't see the paint it knew the torso was the wrong way round and a puff of air dropped it back into the pile.